Photo

The Exhibition Rooms

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (50 votes [43.10%])

Percentage of vote: 43.10%

2. Good (31 votes [26.72%])

Percentage of vote: 26.72%

3. Average (22 votes [18.97%])

Percentage of vote: 18.97%

4. Poor (13 votes [11.21%])

Percentage of vote: 11.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

The Exhibition Rooms
69-71 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1TX

Open Monday to Friday 9am-12am (midnight)
Open Saturday 9am-1am
Open Sunday 9am-11pm

Web: www.theexhibitionrooms.com
Email: info@theexhibitionrooms.com
Phone: 0871 811 1428

#2 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

Just been for a very chilled-out lunch in great surroundings. Brilliantly executed interior and friendly staff. The menu is to suit everyones taste and from what i ordered the right amount on the plate for each course. Well worth a visit when it opens on friday (which they are taking reservations for now). Would like to say thanks for the complimentary lunch and good luck to the restaurant. I will definatley be going back and this is very healthy competition for Joanna's.
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#3 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

Can't agree more with Twinkle. Just come back from the evening meal. The food is fabulous, the atmosphere is lovely and the service was of a very high standard. The interior decor is very nice, hinting at the Palace whilst not being overbearing. All in all, thoroughly recommended. And thanks to Brian for the complimentary meal. I shall be going back...
Nick, Forum Moderator

#4 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

I went yesterday evening and was very impressed with the food. The prices looked very reasonable too, although of course we only paid for the wine! The staff was also very attentive. There were a few minor points I made on my feedback form, but as it was the first "test" I'm sure they'll iron those out soon enough. I look forward to going back again in the next few weeks. Thanks for the complimentary meal, Brian.

#5 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

Great reviews. I'm really looking forward to trying it. I drove past early evening yesterday and plenty of people were looking in the windows and at what I presume were menus on the wall outside.

#6 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

Simply superb!

#7 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

I went last night as well. There were two of us but we were seated on a table of eight as they hadn't been aware of the seating arrangements when the initial bookings were made so it was a little bit like being at a wedding. I wonder if we were on the same table as anyone from here?!
I thought the food was lovely. I had a crab starter, sea bass for the main and a chocolate pudding dessert with ice cream. My other half had the sardines for starter, steak (which I tasted and was gorgeous) and a raspberry tart (i think).
All in all it was very nice and lovely to be offered a free meal. There's also a very very extensive cocktail menu which I'd definitely go back to sample.

#8 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

It appears that there were plenty of us in there without realising who was who....
Nick, Forum Moderator

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

Went last night with Nick (who has beaten me to posting a review) & Chrissyb. The food was lovely -I had the duck followed by a fabulous trifle. We skipped starters as the mains sounded very substantial and I was glad I did as there's no way I'd have managed 3 courses. We had a couple of bottles of the Brouilly between us - great wine for a warm evening. I really liked the lounge area where you could chill out and finish off your drinks at the end of the meal. The downstairs looks like it'll be nice when it opens also and I believe that will be a bar area that serves tapas. My only complaint was that the toilets are very cramped and the doors open outwards meaning that fairly shortly someone is going to end up with a black eye!

This is a great addition to the triangle and will give Joanna's a run for it's money as in my opinion the service and atmosphere at the ER is much more relaxed and friendly.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#10 smith and browne

smith and browne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

We were there for dinner last night too and loved the place! The food was incredible - definitely gives Joanna's a run for its money, if not better. Especially the steak. All in all, a great addition to the triangle. They've done a great job in every respect, and I can't wait to go back and sample more of the cocktail list!

Oh, and thank you for our meal Brian!

#11 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

One word to describe the Exhibition Rooms: FABULANTASTIC !!!!!!

Absolutely loved every part of it: the food, te drinks, the staff, the host, the decorations EVERYTHING - this is a stunning addition to the Triangle well done!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#12 4 a horse

4 a horse

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

went to the drinks last night, thought the place was excellent. Group consensus was that the decor was nicely balanced with nod towards the old palace and a nice dash of colonialism as well. All that was missing were the big bowls of nuts on the tables and the brigadier with his pith helmet.

We stayed in the lounge on the ground floor, but later popped down into the basement bar and courtyard, which reminded me of the bar at numidie but a bit more organised and more spacious. Can definately see myself spending a lot of time there. Cobra on tap went down well and the mojito's aren't bad either.

Menu looked good, canapes were excellent - (prawns, spring rolls, beef/tuna tartar, ratatouille bites, peppered squid), nice friendly staff and the place is child/baby friendly to boot. Only slight downside is that the toilet could get a bit cosy on a busy evening and apologies to the lady who almost jumped out of her skin when she saw 6'4" me washing my hands, her not realizing it was a communal rest room.

Owners appeard very attentive and keen to chat with all there so wish them all the best in what is a great addition to the area. Only downside to the evening was the poor chap knocked of his motorbike at the top of Anerley Hill.

#13 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

a nice dash of colonialism

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? But I think I see what you mean...

Seriously though, a great review. Once I'm back from holidays I really look forward to experiencing this wonderful-sounding place.

Edited by andreas, 25 July 2008 - 09:22 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#14 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

Have you read this?

http://www.southwarkrooms.com/news.php

#15 4 a horse

4 a horse

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

Had read the bit about raffles but the rest of the crowd I was with had not and they all thought it was like being there.
Although, having been to both, the Exhibition Rooms is far nicer than the famous long room bar - maybe they should do a sydenham sling as the house speciality... :rolleyes: