Photo

The Exhibition Rooms

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (50 votes [43.10%])

Percentage of vote: 43.10%

2. Good (31 votes [26.72%])

Percentage of vote: 26.72%

3. Average (22 votes [18.97%])

Percentage of vote: 18.97%

4. Poor (13 votes [11.21%])

Percentage of vote: 11.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

Further to the cocktail bar happy hour - we were distinctly unhappy with the 1 charge to bring 2 cocktails to our table, a journey of 5 steps....

Yikes! I didn't know they were adding a 50p a cocktail surcharge for walking to the table with it :blink: They cocktail guy did ask us if we wanted to add a gratuity after we had had to challenge him over over-charging us by 10 quid. We declined.

I preferred it when the Eastern European guy ran it. You could have any cocktail on the list during happy 'hour' and there was no compulsory cover charge on top (although we always tipped as the cocktails were so sublime).

Edited by Summit Lover, 07 July 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#242 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

I dont know why I had not been to this place before, but I eventually booked and decided to give it a try.
I was immediatley impressed with the warm welcome and nicely presented tables.
The staff were excellent and attentive and the menu was interesting and varied.
I loved our wine choice and the starters were simply great.
There were lots of enjoyable nods from the tables all around as happy eaters were clearly enjoying themselves.
I think my main course was a little overworked with too many flavours but this would not stop me from going back.
I could happily live on the desert as it was stunning.
I do get frustrated with this site giving the oldest reviews first - it really needs to sort this out!!!

#243 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

I do get frustrated with this site giving the oldest reviews first - it really needs to sort this out!!!

Can you explain, Muffy? It doesn't show that way when I log in, eg, I see your post first when I log in and click 'view new posts' and then 'The Exhibition Rooms'.

#244 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi Muffy. The forum follows what has become standard message board formatting of listing posts in chronological order with oldest first. It's easy enough to select the last page from the index or, as Gill suggests, click 'view new posts' to only see what's been posted since your last visit. I understand the underlying point about the newest reviews being most important in deciding whether to visit a restaurant. However, VN is primarily a message board, with the idea that you scroll down through the conversation. To have a different system for the reviews section would confuse the user experience across the site.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#245 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

omg, please don't change that or we'll be all completely lost!

#246 doowron

doowron

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

Booked a nice table for my wifes birthday, arrived at the restaurant to find it had been given to someone else.

The guy looked down his nose at us , indicated a xxxxx table and said-you can sit here.

My wifes day was completly spoiled, I would be banned from here if I said what I thought about the****** ****

Joannas had my custom that evening, otherwise its the excellent, consistant friendly reasonably priced Lorenzos for me.

Edited by Summit Lover, 18 February 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#247 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Popped in here for "brunch" a few Saturdays ago (only to discover that they didn't do brunch! Note to self: research!) so had a lovely lunch instead with four of my friends.

I could not fault the food or the service, but there's a certain "je ne sais quoi" that was missing. I hate to be so vague but even now I can't put my finger on it.

I also have to say that it was pricey. Partly because I cannot say "no" to Prosecco - I've tried, believe me! - but it means that it's never going to be at the top of my "Let's go to..." list. Does that make sense? That's even with their special 8 courses for 8 each selection.

That said, I have no hesitation in recommending the Exhibition Rooms!

Love The Triangle...

#248 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

I LOVE er.

#249 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

Hhhmm ! First 3 times last year had good lunches but last two have put me off - is it an extended NYE hangover for the staff ? Liked it during last summer but now pricey and long wait for food . Must do better !

#250 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

We have had some great food there recently and the staff have always been super efficient and charming. We are very lucky to have so many good places to eat in our midst.

#251 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

We gave up on the Exhibition Rooms for a bit after two disastrous visits last year, going instead to Joannas lately(we were there last Thursday, and it was ALL the lovely), but I do want to like ER, so I think the next time we're arriving back at CP late on a Thursday after an art opening along the Gingerline, I shall persuade Mrs Me to go back there...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#252 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

I know exactly what Billy S means about the je ne sais quoi. IMO, the restaurants that have it in CP are Joanna's (in spades), Lorenzo's and Thai Crystal.
Aside from the food, it's something to do with always being made to feel welcome, never a hindrance, unwelcome intrusion or a source of stress to the staff.
And this discreet attention is given freely to all, not just an inner circle of cherished customers.

#253 barbersfort

barbersfort

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

Just went to their Tuesday Steak night (steak, chips, salad, drink for £11) and it was FAB!

#254 Darcey

Darcey

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

We've been meaning to try the ER for a while and finally we went on Sunday, both my partner and I loved it. We had the roast (one beef, one pork) and it was really nice. The best sunday roast I've had in a long time! Also very pleasant atmosphere, and good value with their offer. Love the decor as well.
I can't wait to go back and try the cocktails :)

#255 Mani77

Mani77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Sorry to see so many poor reviews of this place. We've been three times - we didn't book the first time (a Thursday evening) but got fitted in anyway, and have been careful to book other times. I agree with other commenters points about the downstairs bar being a little slow service-wise, and the loos being badly placed, but each time have had a really pleasant evening with great food. I've never felt rushed over table-turning as you'd hope for and expect in a neighbourhood restaurant, and have particularly enjoyed some of the starters - especially the foie gras on brioche - delightful. The scallops are delicious too. The wine list is great, we found a lovely Austrian Gruner Veltliner which we'd enjoyed on holiday and was equally good here. Second time I was there the very friendly maitre d' noticed we'd ordered the Gruner again and sat at the table with us to discuss wine choices, offering us a taster of other things on the wine list he thought we'd enjoy - needless to say we returned pretty quick and enjoyed the wine recommendation with our next meal. We'll be going back soon :)

I see other posters have commented negatively in comparison to Joanna's where we have also enjoyed two really nice meals, but both restaurants offer different things, and am glad they are both a shortish walk from our house. If you've not been there before, I'd take friends or a date I'd like to impress to the Exhibition Rooms, but take in-laws or my husband for a nice anniversary/birthday to Joanna's. There's room for both I think. And damn I wish we had anything like as nice near where we are on the borders of West Dulwich/West Norwood/Gipsy Hill - CP is a 20 minute walk for us, the only plus side is the time to walk off those starters and a final drink in the Gipsy Hill Tavern and/or The Paxton!