Photo

The Exhibition Rooms

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (50 votes [43.10%])

Percentage of vote: 43.10%

2. Good (31 votes [26.72%])

Percentage of vote: 26.72%

3. Average (22 votes [18.97%])

Percentage of vote: 18.97%

4. Poor (13 votes [11.21%])

Percentage of vote: 11.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

One word to describe the Exhibition Rooms: FABULANTASTIC !!!!!!

Absolutely loved every part of it: the food, te drinks, the staff, the host, the decorations EVERYTHING - this is a stunning addition to the Triangle well done!!!

I get the impression you liked it then LSPE, dont hold back mate

Whats wrong with a bit of colonialism? They all got a railway and roads out of it didn't they.....

#17 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

I'd had the same reaction to the phrase 'a nice dash of colonialism'. Umm...time for you to read 'King Leopold's Ghost' by Adam Hochschild (an extraordinary read that gives some background for the origins of the human rights movement).

I guess we all know that you mean the sumptuous lifestyle for strangers in strange lands in the of days of yore in the empire (it is only a restaurant review after all), but the first meaning of colonialism is pretty strongly laden with exploitation, and has been since the 1960s.

signed, Ziwa (potentially the only poster with an African name)

#18 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

Ziwa

I sincerely hope you werent reacting to my post which was severely tongue in cheek.

You're not the only poster with an african name by the way. Chief Come on You Irons was a well known tribal leader in the Natal province of South Africa in the early 1930's*

*This may not strictly be true, in fact a blatant lie

#19 4 a horse

4 a horse

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

sorry,

my comments regarding the style appear to have opened a small can of worms (following on from my trail of destruction on the white hart thread)

Was merely referring to the style of this wonderful new establishment to keep this topic on subject rather than any wider issues.

Edited by 4 a horse, 25 July 2008 - 02:13 PM.

#20 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

Rule Brittania !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#21 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

Could somebody please order me a cab. :ph34r:
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#22 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

Moderator's Note
Please can we keep comments in the reviews section restricted to reviews of the restaurant - the VN Tavern is available for off-topic chat

European.vote - EU Referendum

#23 collycos

collycos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

Anyhoo, moving swiftly on, I thought I'd add a pointless additional positive review.
Although I appear to be alone so far in having paid for my food...

Went there for lunch yesterday, and it was tremendous.
Chicken livers and lamb rump were both poifect. Mrs C's crab and steak were fab, the chips were heroic.
Being gluttons, we both had dessert - poached peach and passionfruit trifle, again superduper.

Unthreatening wine list for the not-really-sure-what-I'm-ordering-but-sort-know-that-I-like-rioja type of person that I am.
Nice coffee. Lovely staff.
Could do with more and better beers, although I didn't see if they'd anything nice stashed in the fridges.

Very, very pleased with the whole thing.

#24 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:03 AM

... the chips were heroic...

:blink:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#25 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

I can't wait to go here! i had an invitation last week, but as going for a quick trip to ibiza couldn't go...but my husband and his mate went instead (thanks Brian for being so accomodating on that front)
they said the food was amazing....think my other half had crab (said was lovely) and his mate had chicken livers (superb)
the mains were apparently very generous and the meat quality fab...
think then poached peaches for them...
very highly reported by them! so now I can't wait to go!
well done exhibition rooms ..
x

#26 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:21 AM

Had a lovely meal in here but it has already been documented by my companion. My only question is why an otherwise perfect roast belly of pork was coated, Findus-style. I would say it detracted from the taste.

Loved the courtyard and agree that it would be great if they didn't actually do much else to it.

Very pleased with the new arrival.

#27 migy

migy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

you guys seem almost to enthusiastic. For some reason i am skeptical about these theme restaurants/pubs. 8 excellent reviews when most you ate for free seems to me, to make the voting a bit flawed. I guess i better go and see for my self.

#28 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

I wouldn't call it a 'theme' restaurant as such. There is an obvious nod to the Great Exhibition but it is subtle and carried off very well. 'Theme' restaurants call to mind tackiness but this place really is much more sophisticated than that. The food and service really were great and even though we were fed for free, I would have happily paid for it and will definitely return in the next couple of weeks.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#29 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

I think Migy makes a good point. We had to pay for my Findus Crispy Pork Belly so maybe that's why I can say I'd have preferred it au naturel. If it had been free, I'd probably have thought "cool, thanks very much!" and not found it appropriate to question what they gave me.

Also agree with Gekko that the exhibition references are subtle and it's certainly not tacky.

Met a man in the loos (not a sentence you can say very often) who usually comes to Palace from Forest Hill for his Saturday nights out and he was very pleased with the place, despite not being able to get a table for food.

#30 fifififi

fifififi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

Struggling a little bit in the blazing heat at lunchtime on Sunday, we were delighted to find a cool oasis in the Exhibition Rooms. I thought it might have been busy, but we had no problem getting a table. The food was very nice - good steak. Service was a little bit hesitant and 'new', but so friendly that this was no problem at all. We'll definitely be back - I liked the look of the big oval table for a larger group.