Photo

The Exhibition Rooms

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (50 votes [43.10%])

Percentage of vote: 43.10%

2. Good (31 votes [26.72%])

Percentage of vote: 26.72%

3. Average (22 votes [18.97%])

Percentage of vote: 18.97%

4. Poor (13 votes [11.21%])

Percentage of vote: 11.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

My marks:

Cocktails: very good, rather expensive
Ambience, service and overall dining experience: good
Food: ok but could have been better. I sort of felt that no-one had tasted it to see if it was working, because it wasn't quite coming together as well as it could have done. Also various things came with little trickles of jus, when they could have done with a big puddle of sauce to give them more flavour.

Overall: for the money would go to Joanna's*, unless I just fancied an expensive cocktail in which case the lounge here is a good alternative to the Black Sheep.

*Edit: actually I wouldn't, I'd go to Numidie.

Edited by DaisyGrubber, 06 August 2008 - 09:09 AM.

#47 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

Had lunch there on Saturday. The service was a little slow, especially considering it was very early, but not annoyingly so, and the staff were all charming. I was a little disappointed by the vegetarian options on offer - a starter of creamed mushrooms on brioche (which is what I had - it was really very good.) or mains of a roasted vegetable and goats cheese sandwich or a pasta dish, but never mind.

My partner had fish and chips which certianly looked nice and he wasn't complaining.
Rachel
My link

#48 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

We ate there last Friday, and I was frankly delighted that a place like this has finally landed in CP. The food was sublime, and the service friendly and efficient. I have since spent an hour or two on the sofas in the ground floor in the afternoon/early evening - very relaxing, and much more comfortable seating than most places in the triangle. It is about time that CP had a decent lounging area, where you can just stop by for drinks/coffee if you wish and not end up sitting on uncomfortable wooden chairs or peering through the gloom.

The food seemed reasonably priced for the (v good) quality. The drinks are a little pricey, but I am happy to pay the extra for the surroundings.

Only slight downsides are the fact that it has been a little chilly in there at times with all doors and windows open (if you were moving around constantly like the hard working staff I am sure it is better, but if just sitting it is a different matter), and the downstairs loos are a bit cramped - with gents often using the ones marked for females and leaving the seats up. However, these are minor quibbles, and overall I am very happy with the place. :D

#49 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:57 AM

Is there a website yet?

#50 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

http://www.theexhibitionrooms.com/ - still being put together but they have some sample menus on display...

#51 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

The restaurant reviews section has the latest address, internet and phone details shown on the first post...
http://www.virtualno...?showtopic=6167

European.vote - EU Referendum

#52 JOTK

JOTK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:22 PM

Really liked atmos at the Ex Rooms and agree it's great addition to the Triangle but one minor quibble. . .

Cocktails could be a little stronger - and I know that makes me sound like complete lush but believe me, I know my Manhattans from my Mojitos.

I tried four at the weekend and normally, that would be PLENTY. But the cocktails at the Ex Rooms had no effect whatsoever. For 7 odd I'm suspicious....are these single measures????

*goes hangs head in shame and despairs at binge-drink Britain after reading this post back to self*

#53 Honey_dip21

Honey_dip21

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

I love this place, the guys have done a great job... the decor is on point, the vibe is good and the music levels are just fine... it's exactly what the palace needs!

Well done Brain, Nick and Co.. :)

P. S Brain, you've got to tell me where you sourced the flooring from... LOVE IT!

#54 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

I ate here for my birthday on Tuesday night with my partner and it was absolutely lovely :)

We didn't book as we didn't think we'd need to what with it being a Tuesday but I was surprised by how busy it was. The maitre'd was very friendly and helpful and said he could get us a table within 15 mins if we didn't mind waiting which of course we didn't as we got to try out the cocktails in the courtyard!

We were actually seated within 10 mins and the staff were very helpful and attentive at all times. The food was lovely although I would have liked a little more choice. I had the seared tuna to start followed by the pork belly and my partner had the chickens livers and lamb rump which were all really good but his chocolate fondant looked the best! We quite easily managed to eat it all including a dessert each and two bottles of wine :D

At no time were we rushed and the interval between courses was just right. All in all a lovely new addition to the Triangle and I will gladly be going back as soon as possible :)

#55 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

Do they do specials?

#56 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

I didn't see any listed and the staff didn't mention anything to us.

The menu you see on the "website" is pretty much the same menu we had on Tuesday although it doesn't mention the tuna under the starters or the fish and chips and burger under mains.

#57 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

Very heartening to hear that the service issues raised in earlier posts have been swiftly acted upon. The big table had gone when I peeped in on Thursday too. Cheers ER and VN - it's what a community forum's all about.

#58 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

Indeed, the 'offending' table has been removed i noticed when walking past last night. Heartening to see it full too! as were most of the restaurants on the street. One exception being the japanese(name escapes me), but thats off topic

#59 NJohnson

NJohnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

This is my first post on Virtual Norwood but I felt compelled to let you all know what a great experience we had there last Friday night. The three of us had; Caesar Salad, Crab & Sardines followed by the Steak, Fish and Chips & Hamburger. We also had a couple of bottles of brilliant Cabernet Sauvignon (I think). We were trying for a direct comparison to Joanna's - it was all excellent. Joanna's is generally good but I, like other Virtual Norwooders, have found it to be on the expensive side for what it is. The service at the Exhibition Rooms was very friendly if a little clumsy at times - but at least they had a sense of humour and I'll take a bit of spillage over a pouty face any day of the week.

#60 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

Welcome to our world, NJohnson.

Glad you had a good time at the ER. Hope they and Joanna's can thrive side by side. I don't see them as direct competition so hopefully all will be well. I can't fault the service at Joanna's and I'm sure the ER will get its act together once the dust settles. The people who looked after us there were very friendly, just a bit confused, but it's new and practice makes perfect.