CrashPlan

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

It means you have used 65GB. You could (eventually) back up all of this data but it would make sense to limit your backups to your personal files to start with. If you start with selecting just your personal documents folder and don't include bigger files such as music, videos and pictures your initial backup requirement will be relatively small and manageable. Once you have them backed up anything new or that changes in your selected folders will be uploaded automatically. After a while you can gradually add-in more folders to back up. What you choose to backup is entirely up to you but they offer an unlimited amount of storage so if you are prepared to wait for it all to upload the more the merrier. Note that once uploaded there's no advantage gained in deselecting a folder. Crashplan gives you a folder list and gives the size of each, and you can pick and choose whichever ones you want.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#17 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:40 AM

I just wanted to add that I've been using Crashplan for quite a while now. I've not had cause to use the recovery functionality so far (touch wood that continues) but the backup process is very simple and it's been smooth running all the way. The initial upload took weeks and weeks and I did a few folders at a time, uploading my most precious files first. Once done, uploads happen periodically in the background as James says. I get a regular email telling me how much data has been uploaded, if it was successful and advising me of any problems. The only time I had a warning alert was after a holiday where I'd had my computer switched off for a while and Crashplan was unable to access my files.

I back up to an external hard drive via Time Machine as well as Crash Plan as I believe it's important to have a couple of solutions in place. I'm contemplating moving all my data to a NAS soon as I've run out of space on my hard drive and like to keep all my data on one drive rather than spreading it across laptops etc. James - do you have any experience running Crashplan with a NAS? Just wondering if there are any performance or compatibility issues I should be aware of. Thanks.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#18 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the advice James. Backing up to Crash Plan as we speak - the offer is still running and as I plan to take lots more photographs this year and going forward I think it is excellent value for money.

Edited by charlie, 29 November 2010 - 11:06 AM.

#19 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

You can use a NAS with Crashplan. There's a solution here but it's a bit technical so perhaps it's worth posting in their support forum for additional options or sending them a support request (response in 24hrs to registered users). It would be cheaper to go for a family pack subscription to cover more than one pc.

For additional storage I have been looking at the Lacie Quadra 2TB - for 119. You can save 25 by opting for USB only connectivity but I want to daisychain with firewire and keep my usb ports free. Crashplan will backup attached hard drives.

By the way, I took advantage of this special offer to extend my subscription. It adds the 3 years to any time remaining.

#20 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the quick response James. I will investigate those options and also look at the 3yr extension deal. Can't remember what deal I'm on currently but think it's probably a 1 yr single user.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#21 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

If you launch Crashplan and go to "settings" then click the top tab for "account" it will tell you which plan you are on and the renewal date.

#22 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

Crashplan have now announced their new software changes. As I was expecting you now get the Crashplan Plus+ features as standard when you back up to their online service. The upgrade is carried out automatically by the software itself.

If you have been using the standard Crashplan software (which was free) the main difference was versioning, which meant that if you worked with one file it would backup each time it changed. If you wanted to restore the file you could choose whether you wanted the most recent version, or how it appeared at a previous point in time (handy if you delete some text from a document, keep working, then decide you want it back).

The new feature included with Crashplan+ is multiple backup sets. This means you could for example back up one set of files to one destination (e.g. everything to Crashplan Central), a smaller set to another computer in your household and something else with a friend offering some of their spare disk space. This is particularly useful if you want faster restores because you could perhaps bring your friend's pc to your local network for a very fast retrieval, or spread out things from a server to spare space across an office network. If you did this before you'd have to back up the same stuff to each destination and shared space from friends was often insufficient. All remote backups are encrypted to military grade blowfish standards, so your stuff stays confidential.

Prices have been changed.
- individual unlimited now 3.00USD, up slightly from 2.50USD
- (new) limited to 10GB for only 1.50USD
- family unlimited 6.00USD (multiple computers under the same account, including businesses)

#23 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

um, stupid question here, but how do you know, if you upload all your files on to somebody's giganto-computer in the cloud, that it is secure? Because they tell you so? They promise, right?

#24 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

um, stupid question here, but how do you know, if you upload all your files on to somebody's giganto-computer in the cloud, that it is secure? Because they tell you so? They promise, right?

Was wondering that too, so thank you.

#25 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

You don't have to backup to their online server. You can back up to another computer in your home, or across the net between home and office, or from one friend to another.

Crashplan stores a backup using 448-bit encryption. This means that if your friend shares some disk space with you they won't be able to peep inside your backups.

You can use either an account password, a private password or (for advanced users) your own data key. It just depends how paranoid you want to be. You could also encrypt your data prior to backup.

The bottom line though is if you are really that worried about your personal data you shouldn't be using a computer connected to the public internet or using a third party backup service. Instead you should backup to removable media and place them into a fire-proof safe. Having worked for two companies that learnt about data loss the hard way (prior to me joining them) and before online backup services existed I did just that and installed a Phoenix Safe into my previous home.

Remember folks, your computer equipment may be insured but your data isn't covered.

Edited by James, 07 December 2010 - 10:39 PM.

#26 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:33 PM

You're not an American diplomat by any chance? :D
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#27 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

via the Records Management listserver:

http://www.computerw...Computerworld)'>What happens to data when your cloud provider evaporates?
There's no way to directly migrate data between service providers

Computerworld - Over the past year, four cloud storage service providers have said they're shutting down and Amazon's cloud services have been problematic since Thursday.

"All of these things are coming together ... to give cloud storage providers a black eye. Anyone who was on the fence about cloud storage may be off of it by now," said Gartner research analyst Adam Couture......

#28 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

There's a subtle difference between storage and backup... it matters a great deal when your storage disappears because you don't have access to the original. However for a backup service it shouldn't matter to you if the backup goes missing. It's supposed to be a 2nd copy.

In fact with Crashplan you don't have to back up to their servers at all, it could be a friend, several friends, a removable drive (which you can put into a firesafe) or another computer in the same room. And you can mix and match with multiple backup sets, so you can send different files to different destinations.

Perhaps the best 'hidden feature' I have found with Crashplan is that it runs in the background without you having to think about it. If you put it on pause it will unpause itself 24 hours later. If it encounters a problem it can alert you by email or twitter. You don't really remember to do anything and it doesn't require feeding with blank disks. It also remembers partial uploads so you can switch off your computer when you feel like it, and don't have to hang around waiting for it to complete. And, unlike Bin Laden's drives or Sony's customer database it is military grade encrypted.

I'd be interested to know how many VN members have all their photos, music and emails backed up. Statistically it's usually less than an election turnout. 1 in 5 business goes bust within 2 years after loss of key data. Could that be anyone here?

#29 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

Crashplan sends you a weekly update too. It is excellent.

#30 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

Despite my enthusiasm for Crashplan, I'm also using Apple Time Machine, mirroring my data onto an external drive. Anyone that has been in the position of restoring data will appreciate it pays to have more than one backup copy, just in case there is an issue. There's nothing worse than turning to a backup in your time of need and finding out it doesn't work.

I have recently extended my storage with a 2TB external drive by LaCie. You can get a cheaper version for under 100 but for a few extra quid I went for the Quadra edition which gives more connection possibilities, to future proof for new computers and improved compatibility if my computer packs up and I need to hot-desk it to another location.

I have a niece that will be starting university later this year, and we put Crashplan on her laptop, because sometimes when you have coursework or reports to hand in, the text is irreplaceable. There's no need for her to learn the hard way if someone spills a drink on the computer or it gets pinched (a student insurance policy covers the pc but not the data).

My latest backup report...
Source → Target                         Selected	       Files	Backed Up %	Last Connected	Last Backup
Jamess-Computer → CrashPlan Central	284.3GB	↑202.9MB    1660k ↑1k	100.0%	        1.1 hrs   	28 mins