• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

Does anybody remember the name of the record shop that used to be in Penge High Str. just across the road from Woolies ?. Art Nash was around the corner.

#2 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

Can you give us a clue as to the date? I can't find it in the wide range of directories I have, but AFAIK there are no Penge street directories between 1939 and 1958. Nash's were in Croydon Road under various names for a long time, so that doesn't help.

But I think there was such a shop thereabouts. I remember buying their last tin of gramophone needles in the late 50's (we were so poor we only had an HMV "suitcase" wind-up gramophone :( )

#3 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:32 AM

Oh yes you're right Chris it was there and it must have been between middle 50s and early 60s on the corner of the small street ( which now looks very much like a pedestrian precinct in Google Earth, but I can't really see) the first of a parade of shops running down to the corner of Penge High street and Croydon Road.

#4 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:02 PM

I think that makes it No 132, the shop here just to the right of the gap between "High" and "Street" and above the white sails (a bit of street art). That was Kingson's Ltd from 1958 to at least 1972. I didn't latch on to it because it's listed as a television dealer, but it may well have sold records. Kingson's had other shops in Catford, New Cross, and Peckham around that time.

No 132 was Empire Radio from 1931-1939. I haven't found out what was there between 1940 and 1957. It is currently a gents' clothiers.

I think the one I cleaned out of gramophone needles was further down towards Maple Road.

#5 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

Chris that's it "Kingson's" I had been trying for years to think of that, thank you very much.
There was another very small shop further up towards the front entrance to the recreation grounds almost oposite those beautiful "Alms Houses" just past the "Crooked Billet" corner that could be the one that you mentioned becouse they sold a lot of things musical - sheet music,mouth organs,etc. and also had a few records but nothing like a main record shop, and I do remember a really pleasant somewhat elderly lady who I think was the owner there , it was always a pleasure to go in there looking for a record although they almost never had the one that I was looking for, they seemed to be stuck in something of a 78's timewarp. It was the shop just one or two houses before the car and motorcycle dealers where I purchased my first motorcycle.

#6 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:41 AM

Ah, yes, No 84 was a gramophone record dealer from at least 1958 to 1965, after which it became Maple Radio Ltd. The name I have for the record dealer is Arthur Barlay, but I can't find it in 'phone books of the era, so he may be a victim of my handwriting. I remember it was a woman who served us and was very polite, despite the outdatedness of the request. Thanks for reviving a childhood memory.

The motorcycle shop was at Nos 70 & 72, Motor Cycle Services (Croydon) Ltd, from 1965 to at least 1972. Before that it is shown as car dealers under various names, but they presumably sold motorcycles too.

#7 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

There is a photo here of Kingsons image number 64 , Penge 4 album http://www.beckenham...s/gallery3.html

#8 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:49 AM

Thank you for the pointer Mcleanmuir I really enjoyed that.

#9 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

Yes, brilliant collection of pictures. Amazing how much of Penge is still so recognisable.
What I would love to see - but I don't know if such pictures exist - is early (1920s/1930s) photographs of the Chesham Road area.

#10 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

Off the top of my head there may be some in Anerley 2-Birkbeck Album http://www.beckenham...s/gallery2.html

I have got some more of that area but they will be 1970s, going on site soon.

#11 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Have to say, I'm completely bowled over by this collection. Brilliant! You could do a wonderful then and now comparison of so many sites and buildings.

#12 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

I am working on a Then and Now Album. There are many locations that could be a Then Then Then Then, Now, The Clock House stretch of Beckenham Road springs to mind.

#13 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

I am working on a Then and Now Album. There are many locations that could be a Then Then Then Then, Now, The Clock House stretch of Beckenham Road springs to mind.

Wow what a fabulous collection - thank you I enjoyed them...