• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:50 PM

I'm getting round to tackling the wasteland that is my back garden having lived in new place for a few months now. I know of the Secret Garden, but I wondered if anyone knows of any other good, reasonably priced garden centres nearby. I'm particularly interested in buying a tree (crab apple or pear perhaps) so any recommendations for a good tree seller would be appreciated.

#2 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:57 PM

we usually go to the Secret Garden - or the one in Parkhall road - I tink its Croxted Nurseries

Failing that www.crocus.co.uk is very good as well

#3 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

Thank you. I have had a look at Crocus and there are a lot of nice things in there - the temptation is not to get carried away and buy everything! I can see this gardening business becoming a very expensive hobby!

#4 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

For native trees try the London Wildlife Garden Centre in East Dulwich - open somewhat odd hours but very nice quality and cheap. We got a lovely little oak tree for 3 and there were a number of other good things.
http://www.londontow...en_Centre/5381/
(sorry I can't find a better link)

We also had a very good experience ordering from BTCV (British Trust for Conservation Volunteers). We ordered a veritable forest of birch and hedgerow trees (remember the post cutting the forest for the trees?) and they came, along with the wildflower starter pack, in good shape and on time.
http://shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/index

We also really like The Secret Garden. We have had excellent advice there (in fact they sent us to BTCV for our hedgerow plantings). We try to regularly buy our 'treat' plants from them as they are healthy and good growing.

#5 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

We spend a lot of time (and money) in Secret Garden.

Another recommendation would be Dulwich Pots who are next door to North Dulwich station. Millions of pots but also quite a few trees. We bought a cherry and a hawthorn both about 8 feet. They deliver as well.

#6 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

i try and go further afield to near Wallington/Banstead just past the purley crossroads. Theres so many nurseries at good prices it pays to go a little way out. Theres also a large centre called Woodcote Green Nurseries Ltd

Woodmansterne Lane, Wallington, Surrey SM6 0SU
Tel: 020 8647 6838
http://www.woodcoteg...urseries.co.uk/
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#7 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:14 PM

Gosh, fantastic suggestions. I, too, spend a lot of time and dosh at The Secret Garden, from our plants here in CP through to Mum's birthday things - went down a storm. I have heard great things about the ones in Dulwich. Including the one by East Dulwich station, which I have seen but never been in. Apparently they have posh seeds, according to a colleague, but quite what those are I have yet to experience!

Other than that, for basics we have Homebase in Penge and on Purley Way, also off which there's a Wyevale. Just to put the chain link in. No harm in that either.

#8 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I will check out Dulwich definitely - Homebase is right on my doorstep so that's where I normally go, and Wallington is not too far either. There's somewhere in Elmers End that looks quite good too - anyone been here?

http://www.eden-park.....n Centre.html

#9 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

A friend of mine who lives at Biggin Hill recommended Eden Park for cheap bedding plants. It's not huge, but seems to have a good range.

Further afield there's Coolings at Knockholt - we find the quality of their plants marvellous - they have a good fruit tree section & are very helpful - last year they had some splendid malus - all sorts of colour flowers & fruit. I have my eye on one to replace the cordyline in the front garden if I can talk my partner round. We bought a peach tree at Snowhill Garden Centre (near Copthorne) - which did very well (until I forgot to shelter it last winter & it succumbed to peach leaf curve).

I've noticed that the pear trees round me (just off Beulah Hill) are afflicted with pear rust v. badly this year - even my little pear tree had a bit. Short of demanding the neighbours cut down their splendid juniper, I'm not certain what to do - the only really organic way is to pick off every afflicted leaf - whether to cut my losses & replace it with another apple, or to give it more time. The latter I think, having spent a restful hour gathering leaves from it for the non-recyclable waste. So, peggysue, beware the pear rust!

wmp

#10 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

I can recommend Wyevale just off the Purley Way. A fairly extensive selection of usually well maintained plants and staff who are able to offer some advice.

#11 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

I'm not a huge fan of chain garden centres as they do have a tendency to force the plants into bloom and then they die once you get them home. However, we have used the Wyevale at Keston (it's on the junction where you turn right to go down towards Biggin Hill) and it's good for gardening accoutrements like landscaping materials and gardening tools. They also have a large range of seeds and it's a nicer drive out than the Purley Way one.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#12 glazedeye

glazedeye

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

I tend to use Secret Garden most of the time, and fantastic they are too. There's also one on Knolly's Road which has a great range of plants, shrubs and trees, although the name escapes me. But they do also have a landscaping business attached too.

#13 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

It's the Knollys Garden Centre - http://www.knollysgardencentre.co.uk/

I've been a few times and it's very good, but going to the Secret Garden is just so convenient because I can combine it with doing a 'proper shop' up on the Triangle, and going to a cafe to look at the Sunday papers...Knollys Road is at the top of a steep hill, I ought to go there more often for the exercise really!

#14 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:35 PM

Dulwich Garden Centre in Grove Vale (close to the big Tesco) has quite a good selection as well (www.dulwichgardencentre.co.uk - although the link seems to be down at the moment) although parking can be a bit of a pain round there! The people who work there do seem to know what they're on about, although the people at The Secret Garden might be slightly friendlier.

#15 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

The Secret Garden is great for most of the time. If you do want somewhere different and a lot larger then I'd recommend Coolings which is about 30 minutes' drive away along the Orpington Bypass - turn off at Pratt's Bottom and then head towards Knockholt. After a couple of miles and some fine beech woods you'll finally leave LB Bromley and then the garden centre is on your left.

It's a lovely place which has been family owned for decades.
opposed to taking terrapins.