• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for these excellent suggestions everyone. Now I just need a free weekend to check some of these places out!

#17 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

Oops! Only just saw this thread.

The garden centre I go to most is the Alleyn Park Garden Centre, where as a member of the Lambeth Horticultural Society I get a discount. Most gardening paraphernalia (tools, compost etc) I buy at the Society's trading hut.

#18 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

I'm particularly interested in buying a tree (crab apple or pear perhaps) so any recommendations for a good tree seller would be appreciated.

Try J Parkers - http://www.dutchbulbs.co.uk/ - from the menu click on Products, then Fruit, then Fruit Trees. A conference pear tree will set you back just 6. A Cox's Orange Pippin is also just 6. Both available with minimum order of 1. It's a wholesaler's site so sometimes the minimum order quantities are more than 1 but the price you are paying for them could easily make five cheaper than one in the garden centre and you could give extras to friends. It's worth getting the catalogue - full colour and as big as a magazine, it takes ages to read through it all and work out what 'not' to get. Delivery times are down to the plant's best times rather than 'next day' so expect to wait a month or so for delivery. You can club together with mates to avoid the small order supplement and delivery costs. Lots of bargains.... check out the Allium Drumsticks at 3.50 per 100. Another plus is when you sign up for their web site and add items to your basket it remembers what you have added next time you login (even from another computer). So you can build up a list quite easily. Saves trekking around the garden centres and working out how to transport a tree home in your car.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#19 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:58 PM

I'd back the recommendations for Coolings above. We usually buy our plants locally from Homebase or a local shop, but this year we went further afield and bought bedding/hanging basket plants and tomato plants from Coolings. Fantastic! Definitely going back next year... they might have been a bit more expensive but they were more mature so whereas normally the summer is well advanced before our puny plants are making an impact, this year they were well on their way in May/June. And I've just enjoyed a superb tomato from one of their plants!

#20 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

After seeing so many recommendations, I went for a browse at Coolings this week. It was lovely - 'proper' plants as well as the usual bedding and run of the mill stuff - and a very enticing coffee shop. We didn't go to the other site just up the road which has (I think) a children's nature trail, but are saving that for our next visit.

#21 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

I just wanted to give a shout out to Secret Garden - lovely, super helpful staff when I visited recently to get advice on plants. They also have a huge amount of Christmas trees available if anyone is looking :)

#22 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

The Alexandra Nurseries in Penge also sell a lot of Christmas trees.  Additionally there's a lovely lady selling very good value Scottish ones outside the Crooked Billet on Penge High Street.  She's been doing a roaring trade and getting loads of positive feedback on the Penge Tourist Board fb page.