Photo

The Alma

• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate The Alma? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell us what your experience has been :)

1. Excellent (9 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Good (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Average (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Poor (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Yasmine

Yasmine

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

Charlie,

Great news really please to hear about this! When is it all going to happen??? We should let everyone on the We Love South News letter know!

Incase any one is interested we have a live music night tomorrow at the alma and a dJ till 2am. Playing live will be

Thee Landells - a south london band
The Sugar Men - all the way from LA
and Damien Renouf

+ DJ moffty playing laid back indie tunes

I personally cant wait :)

hopefully see you there :) Its free and starts at 8pm (24.10.0)

x x

#17 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

I think the pool table spoils the pub - the footprint of it along with playing space wipes out the whole of one side of the bar - so unless you wanna play pool your only left with the other side, which aint that big anyway - I know its a shame for those who like pool - but its not like the place has to space to spare - I think the feel of the place would be much better if there wa sa general drinking area wrapped around the bar rather than just at one side - anyone else got a view?

#18 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:25 PM

Ah... but the 'smug' place across the road doesn't have huge great screens showing sports - which is the biggest pub turn off out there (for me anyway, I am sure others will disagree vehemently!).

Luckily there are enough different pubs around CP to suit most tastes.

#19 Yasmine

Yasmine

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

new beers are great! definately the best in crystal palace now!

#20 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

Great night out last night with a live band playing good blues, etc at the Alma. Busy, but relaxed, down-to-earth crowd of all types. Excellent place.

#21 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

Definitely better since the pool table has been shunted back abit - with any luck it will migrate into the car park in 2009 and the pub will have enough space to feel like there is more than just one place to sit or stand, which coupled with the regular live music will definitely make it the best pub in the palace, for my money

#22 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

Was ponging in there last night - problem with the drains apparently - hopefully will be sorted soon as it took the edge off my pint and caused us to move on at the earliest opportunity

#23 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

The 'ponging smell' mentioned about this pub is the one reason why I stay clear of it. I have only been in here three or four times in the past year, but every time I ventured in there to give it another go with friends, we always notice the really bad smell as soon as you walk through the front door.

As as with other posts on here I would 'like to like' this pub as It is very local, but that smell unfortunately is seriously off putting!!

#24 syenite01

syenite01

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

i really like the alma. esp with live music, market, footy on the big screen etc. however i find it impossible to take mates there more than once due to aforementioned ponging. I'm fast running out of mates to take here... please sort out the pong! (covering it up with bleach doesnt count!)

#25 alma

alma

• Sponsors
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

The smell is gone!

It was a blocked drain outside that was leaking into the cellar.

The drain is now unblocked and the cellar pumped so no need to mask any smells with bleach or any other pungent substances!

Sorry for the delay!

p.s. the market is back this Saturday - 17th Jan :)
Charlie
charlie@thealmapub.com

#26 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

Gawd bless you guv... I'm on the wagon for another couple of weeks, then I'll be in for a pint.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#27 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

Now a convert to the Alma. Been in here twice in the last week, and it does have quite a good laid back vibe, plus of course the service from behind the bar is far superior to certain other near by hostelries!

#28 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

ok i've not been to many pubs, on the account of the fact that i don't drink, so I can't comment on the quality of the beer etc.

but anyway... why does everyone like this place so much? I thought it was really quite grim. The bar stools are all ripped, the floor and the tables are all scrubbed and old, there's wires hanging out of the walls, and it looks like none of it has seen a lick of paint since the 50s. I sort of reminded me of my student union bar, and the pubs featured on that Sky 1 programme "britain's roughest pubs". even my partner said the place was "rough" - which, coming from someone from northern ireland, is quite an indictment.

We went in during the day, so maybe that was the problem, and when its dark and with more people in it maybe it has more of an atmosphere to make up for the surroundings. But given the universally positive comments on here, I was expecting something.. well, nicer.

#29 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hi Claudia,

It's actually better than it used to be, believe it or not. At least it's bearable to visit the ladies these days :blink: . However, like you I've never understood the appeal of this place. To me, it's always seemed like a mix between a student union and a dive. It's pretty good for live music but some of the clientele is a bit ropey. I think it comes down to, some people like a pub to be edgy and lively, others like a nice quiet drink. Quite a few of the pubs where I've been to for live music have been places that I wouldn't have stepped foot in otherwise. However, they've had great bands on. The grime just seems to go with the territory sometimes! It wouldn't be my first choice for an afternoon pint though.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#30 mike73

mike73

Mike

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

I can't believe peoples attitudes towards this pub. My friends and I may well count as some of the "ropey clientele" , although we're actually normal, reasonably well educated, friendly people, however you wouldn't know that if you didn't talk to me and just sat in the corner moaning about the surroundings.

The alma is a nice friendly traditional pub with decent beer, good music and friendly staff. Obviously it may not be to everyones tastes so if you prefer a pub thats a bit more "clapham" I suggest you cross the road and wait half an hour for an overpriced pint.