Photo

The Alma

• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate The Alma? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell us what your experience has been :)

1. Excellent (9 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Good (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Average (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Poor (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#496 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I can see you're having a whale of a time, but there's no need to carp on...

I'll get my coat.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#497 TheAlmaCP

TheAlmaCP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

If you're interested here's a little info on our suppliers sourcing policy, Chapman's of Sevenoaks -

It is our policy to source the majority of our fresh fish locally. In fact, we are probably the biggest independent buyer of local fresh fish, and by keeping "local fish local" we are significantly reducing food miles. Our local fish is not transported to a central market for onward distribution. We collect straight from the keyside and transport the catch to our preparation facility and thereafter the majority of our fish is distributed locally in our own modern fleet of vehicles.

Our locally sourced fish is of superior quality, 100% traceable from well managed sources and fresh from the boats. Many of the boats that we source from are part of the "responsible fishing scheme" which has been developed to raise standards in the catching sector, enabling those within the seafood supply chain to demonstrate their commitment to the responsible sourcing of seafood. We can trace all of our fish back to source and even to the named boats for our local fish.

We are certified to the MSC Chain of Custody Standard (Version 2.0) and authorise to supply fish and fish products originating from MSC certified fisheries as per schedule, available on request.

file://localhost/Users/stephenboyd/Desktop/IMG-20121214-00135.jpg

Edited by gekko, 04 January 2013 - 09:41 AM.
Increase font size

#498 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

couldnt serve carrots with the fish could you? - I think my eyesight needs a boost!

#499 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Ah that's better:

If you're interested here's a little info on our suppliers sourcing policy, Chapman's of Sevenoaks -

It is our policy to source the majority of our fresh fish locally. In fact, we are probably the biggest independent buyer of local fresh fish, and by keeping "local fish local" we are significantly reducing food miles. Our local fish is not transported to a central market for onward distribution. We collect straight from the keyside and transport the catch to our preparation facility and thereafter the majority of our fish is distributed locally in our own modern fleet of vehicles.

Our locally sourced fish is of superior quality, 100% traceable from well managed sources and fresh from the boats. Many of the boats that we source from are part of the "responsible fishing scheme" which has been developed to raise standards in the catching sector, enabling those within the seafood supply chain to demonstrate their commitment to the responsible sourcing of seafood. We can trace all of our fish back to source and even to the named boats for our local fish.

We are certified to the MSC Chain of Custody Standard (Version 2.0) and authorise to supply fish and fish products originating from MSC certified fisheries as per schedule, available on request.

file://localhost/Users/stephenboyd/Desktop/IMG-20121214-00135.jpg

opposed to taking terrapins.

#500 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Had a lovely meal with friends on Sunday.

Kept on sticking my fork into my pals mashed potatoes. That's not a euphemism.
Love The Triangle...

#501 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I do think that the standards slip slightly when Boydy isn't around. We had undercooked chips, one person's meal arriving late and a struggle to get the staff to bring the chip and pin machine so I could pay the bill. It wasn't busy either. I love the place to bits but I do get a feeling there's some slackening off when the boss is off.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#502 TheAlmaCP

TheAlmaCP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I do think that the standards slip slightly when Boydy isn't around. We had undercooked chips, one person's meal arriving late and a struggle to get the staff to bring the chip and pin machine so I could pay the bill. It wasn't busy either. I love the place to bits but I do get a feeling there's some slackening off when the boss is off.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to know more about this and when you came in maybe next time youre in or message me direct? Info like this is priceless. Dont know if it’s since we changed our potatoes (about 1- 2 weeks ago) they make for better chips and amazing mash! Our head chef also had a wee baby boy recently and had some time off during this I had some frustrations with food. All resolved now.

#503 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

No problem Boydy. I'll drop you a PM a bit later on. It's no big deal and I love the place but worth mentioning I think.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#504 TheAlmaCP

TheAlmaCP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

No problem Boydy. I'll drop you a PM a bit later on. It's no big deal and I love the place but worth mentioning I think.

It's defo worth mentioning it gives me something to focus and work on. Getting the place right is one thing getting it right when im not there takes the right people, training and even more time!

#505 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Cool, dropped you a PM :).

Mel, Forum Moderator

#506 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

What a great evening on Friday! :)
Love The Triangle...

#507 Joel

Joel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

I like this pub a lot and will often take friends who are visiting CP here. The other week we had a sunday roast and I'm afraid to say it was bit tough. I lost a bit of face as I'd bigged the food up to my friend. However, that said, I'd go back as I've had good food experiences here previously. 

Staff are always friendly.. shame it can't be said for all the pubs in CP!

#508 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Had a gorgeous lunch on Sat. Burger with mozzarella side. OH had the steak, which was generous and perfectly undercooked! Chips incredible.

#509 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

I do like the Alma! Always enjoy myself in there.

I did go in the other day though and they had run out of burger buns... a reflection I think of the hot weather and everybody getting in barbecue mood! Went for the fish and chips instead which was very nice. 

Wouldn't mind an extra couple of choices for starters though.

#510 BlueBottle

BlueBottle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

We decided to treat ourselves last Thursday and since we haven't been to Alma under new management we thought to give it a try. And yes, it was a treat! Food  was very very tasty, well prepared and nicely served. Staff was very helpful and smiling :)

Not the cheapest place in CP but we will definitely be back and back with friends.

Way to go Alma!