Photo

The Alma

• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate The Alma? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell us what your experience has been :)

1. Excellent (9 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Good (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Average (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Poor (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#511 Nova

Nova

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

I visited the the Almas last month, having not visited since the take over.

Well it's more restaurant then pub now and the clientele is more Tarquin and Belinda rather than Dave and Sharon.

Food is nice, if not on the pricey side.

I would come here for a meal, but not for a quick pint.   In my opinion it's lost it's quirky charm as a spit and saw dust pub.

#512 Juicybiscuit

Juicybiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Ate there two or three times. Had an amazing seafood platter. Decent veg pie as well. Food is a little pricey yes but generally of a high standard (the bits I've ordered anyway). Service was friendly and prompt. Would happily go again.

#513 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

I've mostly gone in there to eat rather than to have a quick pint, although sometimes I've found the service inconsistent.  However after the most recent food standard agency rating of 1 star (from Aug 2013), that puts me off, same as with the Sparrowhawk.  The food isn't cheap and they should manage better than that.

Edited by elleme, 11 December 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#514 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'd just like to put a word in for the Alma. They put on a fantastic spread for the CP Community Choir end-of-year social a couple of weeks ago. Mini fish 'n' chips (beautifully fresh fish, crisp batter) and mini burgers (not so mini at that).  The service was lovely, and timely too. All of which was a huge relief to me as organiser of said do!

#515 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Popped in for a quiet drink on Friday evening before going out later elsewhere. Was impressed by the range of local and localish real ales and had a very nice sharing platter and chips.

Staff were also very friendly and helpful. Always a pleasure going to the Alma!

#516 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Last time I went in it was fine, but that wasn't on a busy day.  This time I went in, and after having an admittedly good lunch one of the waitresses slaps down a table reserved notice for 20 minute's time without even bothering to ask whether we wanted anything else.  We were thinking of getting a coffee but that put us off.  If you're going to have reservations why not do as the G&G do and put them down in a timely fashion so people know how long they've got?  

Edited by elleme, 01 January 2015 - 02:13 PM.

#517 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

Had a great Sunday Roast here the other week. Despite previous reports of poor staff attitudes we had a great time and the staff were helpful and friendly