Photo

The Alma

• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate The Alma? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell us what your experience has been :)

1. Excellent (9 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Good (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Average (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Poor (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

And not full of the 'beautiful jus and coulis people' types that frequent the White Hart and Westow House.

I don't think charlie and andreas have ever been called that before, SLR. :flame:

Edited by andreas, 31 March 2010 - 02:15 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#47 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

I don't think charlie and andreas have ever been called that before, SLR. :flame:

Hehe. I knew that would get a reaction from someone. You know what I mean though Andreas! Pubs should be just that. Pubs. No reductions, no sandfire, no compote, no crudites, no balsamic.

#48 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

Agree 100% SLR. We had mini-Elmo's baby naming drinks in there, and the staff were amazing (Thanks Charlie!)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#49 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

I was pulling your leg SLR. :P

I do like the way there is more choice of different kinds of pubs and bars in the Triangle than there was 10 years ago.

As long as places such as The Alma, The Royal Albert and The Railway Bell stay with us much as they are now then I'll be happy.

Reason for Edit: wrong choice of emoticon

Edited by andreas, 31 March 2010 - 03:59 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#50 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

We had a great evening here on Saturday night, we came to escape the crush and yucky toilets in the White Hart (our usual haunt) but mainly to see Vince Dun and his band. FANTASTIC music (please, please book them again), comfortable seats and friendly service.

The only drawback was half way through the set when the dim lights over the band were switched off (plunging them into darkness) and the huge screen came down filling the end wall facing the band - which then played soundless music videos etc. Unnecessary, pointless and irritating (in my humble opinion), as well as being somewhat rude to the band (who played stoically on).

#51 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

Will the footie be on tomorrow?

#52 alma

alma

• Sponsors
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

We now sell food!

Home made stone-baked pizzas to be precise. The feedback so far has been very good.

Here's the menu:
Posted Image
Charlie
charlie@thealmapub.com

#53 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

I walked past last sat eve about 9 pm and it looked pretty empty for a sat night just a handful of people in and out - whilst the White Hart was pretty chocker - does it get busier later into the evening anyone know??

#54 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

I thought the same myself, it always used to be packed inside at the weekends, with misted up windows and a blues or jazz band playing. Maybe they are just having a bit of a summer break and start again soon with more bands.Still love the metal gates by the beer garden.

#55 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

I thought the same myself, it always used to be packed inside at the weekends, with misted up windows and a blues or jazz band playing. Maybe they are just having a bit of a summer break and start again soon with more bands.Still love the metal gates by the beer garden.

A plea to the Alma for the return of the Vince Dunn Band - we saw them earlier this year at the Alma and they were fabulous!

#56 alma

alma

• Sponsors
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

A plea to the Alma for the return of the Vince Dunn Band - we saw them earlier this year at the Alma and they were fabulous!

They're back on Saturday 28th August. :)

Anyone who does the http://fantasy.premierleague.com fantasy football league can enter The Alma league by using this code:

1491519-293510

Charlie
Charlie
charlie@thealmapub.com

#57 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:16 PM

They're back on Saturday 28th August. :)

Anyone who does the http://fantasy.premierleague.com fantasy football league can enter The Alma league by using this code:

1491519-293510

Charlie

Excellent! Thanks :D

Anyone who likes great, laid back jazz make sure you come along. Great drumming, guitarists, horns and vocals.

#58 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

The (Vince Dunn) band were great last night, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Amazing to have such great music on our doorstep.

Thank you Alma.

#59 alma

alma

• Sponsors
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

The (Vince Dunn) band were great last night, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Amazing to have such great music on our doorstep.

Thank you Alma.

Vince is back at The Alma this Friday 8th October but this time with King Groovy and the Hornstars - an authentic 17 piece big band.

They play an extensive repertoire of big band charts by the jazz greats, from Duke Ellington to Glen Miller to Herbie Hancock, plus Latin, pop and funk favourites.

:)
Charlie
charlie@thealmapub.com

#60 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

Vince is back at The Alma this Friday 8th October but this time with King Groovy and the Hornstars - an authentic 17 piece big band.

They play an extensive repertoire of big band charts by the jazz greats, from Duke Ellington to Glen Miller to Herbie Hancock, plus Latin, pop and funk favourites.

:)

That is great news thanks :D

Come along if you can fellow VN'ers - Vince is a great drummer with a larger than life personality! Great music - and all for free :P