Photo

The Alma

• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate The Alma? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Tell us what your experience has been :)

1. Excellent (9 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Good (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Average (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Poor (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

Fabulous night! Thanks The Alma :} The place was packed to the rafters and the band were superb - and huge! I didn't believe that such a big horn section would be able to fit into the pub.

#62 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

If you squeezed a band with a big horn section in the Alma it would be packed even without any customers!

#63 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

If you squeezed a band with a big horn section in the Alma it would be packed even without any customers!

They took up an entire side of the pub - I thought the Alma had added a typo when they mentioned a 17 piece band but they were quite right! Amazing night :)

#64 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

I like the pub but the ale is undrinkable and the Guinness they serve is that ice cold version. Poor show.

#65 alma

alma

• Sponsors
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback about the big band.

We're going to try to book a lot more live music from now on.

This Saturday 11th December we have a live 10 piece funk band - Baron Funkhausen.

I like the pub but the ale is undrinkable and the Guinness they serve is that ice cold version. Poor show.

Bovine Juice, your point is taken. There is a bit of a catch 22 when it comes to serving good ale: once tapped, the barrel is at its optimum for only 3 days so has to be sold quickly. When somewhere gets a reputation for bad ale, it becomes difficult to sell the volume required to keep it in good nick.

With the G&G and Weatherspoons offering such a wide range of well kept ales, it's difficult for us to compete as an ale destination pub.

We try to keep at least one draught ale on tap and in good condition. If you're ever served a bad pint, the staff will replace it without quibble. (Hopefully they'll have spotted it before serving, but most are not natural ale drinkers themselves so I can't guarantee that).

I would be grateful if you do brave the ale and the standard has improved, that you report back here so that we can try and break the cycle and get 2 good ales consistently on tap.

Re the cold Guinness, we were given the chance to switch to a new and more efficient technology called Foil and Coil. It replaced the under bar coolers and cools all the draught product (except the ales which have a different cooler) and chills them all without offering the opportunity to have a cold and a standard serve. The cold Guinness does seem to suit most hence the (generally) good reputation of our Guinness.

Cheers,

Charlie
Charlie
charlie@thealmapub.com

#66 alma

alma

• Sponsors
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Changes are afoot at The Alma.
We are currently giving The Alma a facelift inside and out. The outside is being repainted and inside is being redesigned to make it more conducive to eating without losing it's soul as a traditional, vibrant and independent boozer.

Unfortunately, we don't show sport any more. We're replacing this with quality live music, quality hearty and homemade (non-gastro) food and quirky quiz and film nights during the week.

There's a lot of competition on the triangle and with alcohol getting cheaper in supermarkets and taxes forcing up the price of pints in pubs, we know we have to give you good reasons to visit us.

Please bear with us while the improvements are taking place. When we're finished, The Alma will once again be the best pub on the triangle!
Charlie
charlie@thealmapub.com

#67 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Good luck with the refurb - the new plan sounds great :).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#68 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

yes - second that - I think doing away with sport is a good idea - you can go to Patricks for that with their big screens etc - only my view, but the space could be better used if the pool table didnt effectively knock out one side of the pub - a wraparound drinking area would look a lot more inviting than sitting down waiting to be whacked in the head by the back end of a pool cue - that corner of the triangle probably serves alot of people from the Auckland Rd / Church Road (West) part of U Norwood - so a good alternative to the White Hart would be great - its looked a bit beaten up and empty lately

#69 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

I really like the sound of what the Alma has planned, I have generally found the Alma to be a bit rough and ready for my tastes in the past. Looking forward to seeing the finished results!

#70 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:52 PM

Open Fire (sprobably gas!) - looking warm and welcoming! - will have to try and give them some custom in teh not too distant - Pool tables gone AWOL too - which gets a thumbs up from me

nice one!

#71 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

Open Fire (sprobably gas!) - looking warm and welcoming! - will have to try and give them some custom in teh not too distant - Pool tables gone AWOL too - which gets a thumbs up from me

nice one!

Yes the fire looked lovely as we sauntered past today - the place is definitely looking more inviting.

#72 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

I was wondering what was happening with the pub as I passed by last week. I thought it had *** down but am happy to hear otherwise. Good luck.

#73 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

yes - second that - I think doing away with sport is a good idea - you can go to Patricks for that with their big screens etc - only my view, but the space could be better used if the pool table didnt effectively knock out one side of the pub - a wraparound drinking area would look a lot more inviting than sitting down waiting to be whacked in the head by the back end of a pool cue - that corner of the triangle probably serves alot of people from the Auckland Rd / Church Road (West) part of U Norwood - so a good alternative to the White Hart would be great - its looked a bit beaten up and empty lately

I disagree with that . The Alma was one of the better pubs to watch football or Rugby. Patrick just feels to much like a plastic pub IMO and the selection at the bar very poor. It also drew people to the pub but I can understand them not wanting to pay the rip off charges Sky now charge for showing sport.

It obviously now needs to raise its game to get the punters through the door so good luck to them. However they might want to have second thoughts about the paint job. Purple screams fun pub in my head for some reason which is not the best look ;)

Maybe the Alma should go for the old tasteful black white red combo that White Hart flirted with for a year before it went for this seasons Pea green/Puke for its outsider decor :lol:

#74 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

I had a quick one in there yesterday. The walls are now stripped back to exposed brickwork, which looks quite effective, no pictures as yet but still possibly not finished.
The absent pool table has opened up the space alot more now.
Will have to have another look on a busier night with a band playing.

I also used to watch football in there. Saw a couple of the World cup games. It was the only place on the triangle that had an outdoor(tented)screen.
Can understand it though, if the Sky fees have gone a bit on the high side.

#75 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

I disagree with that . The Alma was one of the better pubs to watch football or Rugby. Patrick just feels to much like a plastic pub IMO and the selection at the bar very poor. It also drew people to the pub but I can understand them not wanting to pay the rip off charges Sky now charge for showing sport.

It obviously now needs to raise its game to get the punters through the door so good luck to them. However they might want to have second thoughts about the paint job. Purple screams fun pub in my head for some reason which is not the best look ;)

Maybe the Alma should go for the old tasteful black white red combo that White Hart flirted with for a year before it went for this seasons Pea green/Puke for its outsider decor :lol:

well as I said, only my opinion - maybe I'm biased as I have sky at home - but from my point of view I'd rather the Alma was a good local boozer and I dont think they have the space inside for much else other than the essentials - maybe we should have a poll! - sky sport or not sky sport? - that is the question!