• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Angeles

Angeles

• Sponsors
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Kris,

I'm very sorry but I'm too busy and won't be able to go today. I will definitely go next time so please keep us informed on when and where the next meeting will be.

#32 nickgipsyhill

nickgipsyhill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hi
Really sorry - only just seen this and can't make it tonight.
Bon courage and I'll try and make it to the next one
Nick

#33 kris_de_londres

kris_de_londres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

" Les commencements ont des charmes inexprimables."Molière.
I was there from 7.30-8.00 p.m. No one turned up. No worries.
I saw someone checking her mobile while I was buying a drink I thought that would one of us ..apparently not.
Next time ! We'll try a Tuesday next time. Contact tel 07794761258
K

#34 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:41 PM

I had a look at 7 when I went past and there was a man in a suit on a bench outside (though not denim) with a woman in a beret. I thought my suggestion had been taken up. Shame you didn't get to do it. Wish you luck next time.

I wouldn't be good enough - in June, we were in France and I had to dredge my A-level French up to talk to a very excited taxi driver (the last one of the night - "if you don't come now he's going to bed") about Brits buying property there. Incidentally, he thought it was a great thing, contrary to his neighbours. He said: "It's too expensive for us to do anything but live - do you want a Brit to repair and use it or for it to fall into disrepair?" For my efforts, he gave me a business card and a TaxiCo-branded pen. I felt quite chuffed actually. But too shy to join your group, which sounds clever.

The cab driver wanted me to email. Not sure why. Might do.

#35 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

I feel really guilty now. Something cropped up at the last minute.

I really am interested though, if you are prepared to give it another chance, Kris.
Rachel
My link

#36 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

I went by, but in the middle of the night in relative terms, after an evening trying to access the right side of my brain (with limited success) in the drawing studio. Could've used a drink and a natter, but knowing full well that it was likely to be all folded up by then. Introduced myself to some nice looking fellas who had a book on the table in front of them that, from a distance, looked like the French tricolor. No luck.
a la prochaine...

#37 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:43 PM

Spoon

If you did A level, no matter how long ago you're not exactly a beginner.....

Anyway, it doesn't sound to me like everyone is fluent (me included!) and it's only meant to be a bit of fun isn't it? I'm interested because although I can still understand written French, my spoken French is pretty lousy these days. When you're on holiday the only spekaing you do really is to order food and booze. Your chat with a French cabbie sounds pretty impressive I'd say.

The big question is - when is the next attempt to meet up planned for?
JAM

#38 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

It is fun, I agree. And the pub is the best place - one is frequently at one's most fluent in a foreign language after du vin, I'm sure you'll agree!

We'd been at a wedding reception in France so I was nicely oiled. I'm not sure how I'd fair if a French person rang me right now, though, when the hardest thing I've had all day is tea. Somehow, when you forget to be shy, it comes back to you. Or perhaps you care less about making mistakes and go for it.

#39 kris_de_londres

kris_de_londres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

I have the pleasure of informing everyone interested that the French conversation group will be on Tuesday 9th September.
Venue: Numidie Bistro (downstairs)
48 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace SE19 1PX 020 8766 6166
Time : from 7.30 p.m. till 10.00 p.m.
Everyone (all levels of French conversation abilities) who is interested is welcome.
A mardi soir si vous le voulez bien !
Kris.
Founder Member
London French Rendez-vous (LFR)
http://french.meetup.com/474/

#40 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

I will definitely be there this time.

See you tomorrow
JAM

#41 kris_de_londres

kris_de_londres

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

Salut JAM & everyone else !
You are ALL invited !

Please kindly note:

1. there is NO participation fee i.e. the event is free.

2. starting time is 7.30 p.m.

3. Venue: Numidie Bistro (downstairs)
48 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace SE19 1PX 020 8766 6166
Drinks and menu at this venue, Numidie, are very reasonable.
Staff speak French :-) .

4. dont worry about your level of French conversation skills, everyone is welcome.

5. We may role play a simple situation in French, depending on the number of people.

A ce soir si vous le voulez bien !

k

#42 nickgipsyhill

nickgipsyhill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

I'll try - have to be up in town earlier in the evening but if I get back in time I'll drop in
Nick

#43 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Kris

I hope you got my message via Numidie that I wouldn't be able to make this evening as I have hurt my back. Hopefully I should be fully recovered by next week.

Apologies

Julie
JAM

#44 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

well, terribly disappointed me....I went, arriving at 9pm. Fully aware that arriving late might mean its all wrapped up, however, the bartender said 'oh, you are here for Kris and the French group. He is here, he just stepped upstairs to meet someone else, and (gesturing to a nicely laid plate of cheese and treats) he has ordered food and will be back in a few minutes'. So I ordered a (very nice) glass of Moroccan wine and settled in to wait.....and wait I did for 50 minutes. No sign. I had installed myself at the best table, as the place was not full when I arrived and I was expecting to be joined by several others to chat with. By the time I left I felt pretty bad, taking up the whole round table while groups came in who could have put it to better use than lone me (sorry guys). When I finally left to catch the 10:01 bus, the plate of food remained untouched behind the bar and the bartender was as baffled as I was.

#45 Angeles

Angeles

• Sponsors
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

Kris,

I would have really liked to go, but I just arrived yesterday from a weekend away and did not see the message in time. I hope that there is other chance to start this group.