• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

With a little Elmo coming I've been told we should get a will sorted out. Does anyone know of a local firm we could use?

The only other contact I've had with solicitors was when we bought our flat... and the company was miles away.

PS - I'm in fine health, just being prudent! :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

This article may help you to prepare information for your meeting...
http://www.timesonli...icle3903793.ece

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

Anthony Gold in Streatham High Road do Wills.

#4 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

I seem to remember will writing was being advertised after the checkouts in Sainsburys recently. Incidentally if your wishes are very simple you might want to think about using a will form available from stationers - they should give basic, essential advice on writing a will. I used a form when I was younger and a solicitor later on when my affairs became more complicated. The likelihood is that you will write many wills during your lifetime and it can become quite expensive!

#5 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

Funny that a lawyer recommends that you go to a lawyer! Fancy that...

#6 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

some banks offer this service in their packed accounts - check with your bank as it is free for certain accounts.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#7 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

Elmo - I wonder if you are at the start of the same hand-chewing dilemma that, 10 years after having kids, we are still in...

As far as I know, if your wishes are simple and unlikely to be contested, you can (like cheques) write want you want on the back of an envelope. and then get somebody evidently sane and reliable (like yourselves!) to witness. But our difficulty has always been with guardianship of the kids. I can't imagine that we are unique in not having any local family, but to whom does one will one's children?? What criteria ought to apply? We've ruled out childless friends (they wouldn't know what to do with kids), friends with kids (they've got enough to be getting on with), far flung friends (if the kids lose their parents, surely they would want to stay at or with their known school/friends/activities so there is something stable in their suddenly bereft lives, godparents by right (the kids have different godparents, and we certainly wouldn't try and split the kids up), and truly ancient relatives (who are nearer by but as likely to need care as the kids).

Anybody else faced this quandary and found The Answer?

#8 Miss Mop

Miss Mop

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

During the month of November it is free to make a will at certain solicitors throughout the UK. Today I have visited William Bailey in Lordship Lane and made one out. A suggested donation of 75 is asked, but not compulsory.

Edited by Miss Mop, 24 November 2008 - 09:13 PM.

www.missmop.co.uk