• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sjmac

sjmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:06 PM

Donald Edward MACPHERSON and his family lived at 47 Avenue Road, Anerley.He was my father's first cousin and prior to my family's emigration to New Zealand in 1955 we visited Donald, his wife and two daughters to say goodbye. Donald's son was not at home. My father was also named Donald MacPherson. I would like to know what happened to this family and possibly trace descendants. I believe that either Donald Edward or his wife was a customs officer at Croydon Airport. Is 47 Avenue Road still in existence?
Jennifer MacPherson

#2 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:44 AM

It is still listed in the Royal Mail directory, 47 Avenue Road, London SE20 7RR, however this seems a bit more like Penge than Anerley on a map.

http://www.streetmap...p=newsearch.srf

Maybe you could write to the current occupiers? :rolleyes:

#3 sjmac

sjmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:53 PM

Thank you Rachel. Yes, I will write to the present occupiers. Jennifer. :D

#4 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:09 AM

Electoral rolls show MacPhersons at 47 Avenue Rd as follows:-

1954: Donald E, Mary W, Ursula M
1955: Agnes L, Donald E, Mary W, Ursula M
1956-1967: Agnes L, Mary W, Ursula M

The rolls were drawn up in October of the years shown.

Avenue Rd can be Penge or Beckenham, the border being after nos 50 and 53, where the road crosses the Boundary Stream, now underground for its entire length. One end wall of the former bridge can still be seen on the Anerley side of the road.

To the confusion of many a visitor, the Post Office lists the whole of SE20 as Anerley, since the depot used to be in Ridsdale Rd. However, writing Penge on envelopes has always worked.

#5 sjmac

sjmac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:16 PM

:D Thank you Chris for your effort in checking the electoral rolls. This now tells me that Donald E. MacPherson probably died between the time we visited in May 1955 and October 1956. I wonder what happened to his wife and two daughters after 1967? The son was named either Nigel or Neil and if I remember correctly we were told he was in Canada at that time, 1955. I don't know if he had emigrated or was there on holiday.
I am determined to find out what happened to this family, so, wish me luck. :D