87 replies to this topic

#1 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

New thread!

What hobbies have you done in the past or present, or are you thinking about for the future?? :rolleyes:

I like the idea of this as we're a nation of hobbyists, but sometimes we're not very good at sticking with them (resulting pile of crap in the attic/garage/spare room), or we get very good (Trevor Bayliss?), or we're thinking about starting a new one when we get bored!

Sooooooooo

Failed: I have a kite that I've flown about 8 times in 3 years. The tent has been in the garage unused for the last 2 years!! Don't worry, the credit crunch will bring it out again.

Wierd: I used to run around Chiselhurst Caves with a rubber sword in my youth (if anyone has even heard of Labyrinth, I'd be mighty impressed and a little worried) :unsure:

Current: I'm getting out on my mountain bike as much as I can

Future: I like the idea of archery, and clay pigeon shooting is really good fun. :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#2 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

I only do expensive hobbies for some reason so diving was the obvious choice, 600 for the training then another 500 or so for some equipment only to realise that I lived in England and don't particularly like cold water, haven't been for nearly 10 years now since I was in Australia.

I also have a kite that I only flew once and a guitar I don't know how to play.

I'm currently riding motorbikes as a hobby as it meets the expensive criteria but I reckon it will last a bit longer than the rest as it's great fun.

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

i still collect stamps but before you scoff I now have them valued by mr gibbons.

also collect vintage port buy some keep some drink some . I bet you didnt know that port in excess of 30 years is no longer ruby red.

collect Gold coins a good alternative to saving cash my sovs have trebled in price in the last 6 years !

Still looking fo that hobby that wil let me retire for good though !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

Not so much failed as dormant: I used to be a doll's house obsessive when I was younger...liked playing with Playmobil dolls and the like when I was little, and then when I was a teenager it turned into a proper collecting hobby. All of it is in storage at the moment, but put me within reach of a dolls house shop or fair, and the obsession may break out again...

Failed: I did yoga for years and got quite good at it, then changed jobs and moved house to somewhere that wasn't so convenient for the classes I used to go to, and just sort of drifted. I meant to keep it up at home and bought my own mat, but you get lazy, and then you find you've lost the knack - I've definitely got less flexible since I gave it up.

Future: I'd like to learn Spanish. An old school friend who is much better at languages than me has started Open University and is doing Spanish GCSE just for starters - very admirable, wish I had time to do something similar....

#5 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

I've got a list of things that I've always wanted to do, and am slowly getting round to doing them. Fencing classes at the moment, and I love it. I took Japanese classes at the start of the year, and it was great fun, but more hard work than I realised (I'm a linguist) so I eventually gave it up! I've always wanted to do classes in oil painting and using the potter's wheel. I love roller blading in Hyde Park in the summer, but dont do it often enough. I play tennis at CP sports centre quite a bit. I also do Reiki but that's more a lifestyle thing than a hobby. I bought a bike last summer, but only used it once - nearly had a heart attack with all the hills in CP!

Future: I like the idea of archery, and clay pigeon shooting is really good fun. :)

I like the idea of archery too - sounds fun!
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#6 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

For me I think that starting hobbies is my hobby, I must have been to more assorted evening classes than you could shake a stick at, and have become what you
could maybe term a starter. I probably caught it through my genes, someone wanted to write a book once at home and we kids ended up drawing on piles and
piles of writting paper and playing with a really old black sit up and beg typewriter until it got thrown out by a would be Conan Doyle.

Edited by Anthony, 20 September 2008 - 02:34 PM.

#7 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

Wierd: I used to run around Chiselhurst Caves with a rubber sword in my youth (if anyone has even heard of Labyrinth, I'd be mighty impressed and a little worried) :unsure:

I have. :ph34r:

In my defence I only LRPed once. I think I'm a year or two older than you, but I remember the guy who ran it was immensely grumpy. Must have been about 1985.

#8 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

I used to collect china horses when I was little.

I've tried horse riding (too expensive and far to travel!), gymnastics, football, hockey, guitar, trumpet, recorder.

I still play the flute (although not that well!), but my real passion is ice skating. And my parents have said they will pay for a course of skating lessons for my 18th in March! :D
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#9 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

In my defence I only LRPed once.

I was down there at the age of 14/15 which would have been 1990-1991, so I only did the junior days. The adults all looked kinda scary in full chainmail and handling latex weaponry! I ended up having a little business making and selling foam weapons to my friends... The best ones were 2 twin 5ft double-handed maces I made on a sunny day in.... ***BEEEP***. That's my geek alarm telling me to shut the f*** up!! :ph34r: :lol:

I think my favourite hobby is the one I use every day: home a/v equipment. Makes watching films, sport, playing mariokart, or even listening to the radio a much more enjoyable experience, but I think junior Elmo may curtail my enjoyment of it all a little... only a couple of weeks to go now :unsure:

Follow me on Twitter

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

It seems I'm the only one who has hobbies where I can make big bucks. Feal really shallow now !

Dazza

PS I still enjoy collecting stamps though for fun as well !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#11 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

Haven't done it for the last year or so, but I officiate basketball as well. You get paid 8 - 15 a game... not big bucks, but you get paid for something you really, really enjoy. I did get paid for DJing at the bluebottle as well. 20/hr for a Sunday night, 30/hr for a Friday night... you do the maths B)

Edited by Elmo, 22 September 2008 - 11:15 AM.

Follow me on Twitter

#12 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Horse riding lessons is also on my list of things I've always wanted to try for next yr. Any idea where I could do it in South London? I joined the National Trust a few weeks ago too, and tho I wouldnt call it a hobby, is good to have an excuse to get away for a weekend or a day out in the country on a fairly regular basis :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#13 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:04 PM

I dabble in photography. Usually of hidden parts of London that you can walk past. And Streatham & Norwood is littered with places like that...

Palm trees anyone...
Posted Image
Love The Triangle...

#14 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

I've found that it is usually time that puts paid to my hobbies:

Failed: patchwork quilts (all those tiny hand-stitches) and pistol shooting (OK, legislation, not time for this one)
Wierd: I used to be a viking shield maiden (I still have the 7 foot spears & battered shield) at the w/ends in a re-enactment society - but the damage took longer to heal as I got older, and the attraction of making my own authentic costume began to pall.
Current: gardening - I'm currently nursing 6 different varieties of fig tree & the weather has been a severe disappointment this year.
Future: I have my eyes on an allotment, once I've got the garden licked...

wmp

#15 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

Completely failed: sewing. I used the machine once, I think. But it could also be a future hobby if I stop being so lazy.

Current: learning French, writing fiction and non-fiction, genealogy.

Future... learn some Japanese prior to (hopefully) a second visit. I like the idea of fencing too, but my hand-eye coordination is appalling.
Rachel
My link