87 replies to this topic

#16 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

I used to play the clarinet and the saxophone as a kid but gave it up when I discovered teenage-hood... I've still got the clarinet lurking somewhere in my parents house - probably about time I dug it out to see whether it's still usable! I also got really into indoor climbing a couple of years ago but then we moved and the climbing centre was suddenly really far away - I keep meaning to try out the one in Crystal Palace but haven't got round to it yet. Have also been doing a bit of am dram in my time although not for several years now.

Currently I'm thoroughly enjoying drawing classes and general scribbling (house littered with masterpieces/bin fodder :D ) and my other half and I go ballroom dancing once a week (today actually - wohoo!). Really good fun and it's lots more exercise than it might look! I'm also a sometime gardener - would be a bit moretime gardener if the weather would deign to cooperate. Grmpf. :angry:

As for the future, I keep meaning to check out the South London Theatre and reinstate my credentials on stage and at some point I'm hoping to learn Spanish or Italian or both!

#17 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

Past:

youth - football (this was my main hobby), badminton, swimming - life saving, rubber collection :o (as in erasers that is!)
adult - inline skating, Italian, Tai Chi

Failed:

trumpet (lasted 3 months, teacher was a sleaze), the gym, gardening/growing veg (lasted about a year, now garden is a tip), church (not strictly speaking a hobby I know), blogging

Current:

guitar (wish I'd taken this up years ago), gaming (on and off since I had a Spectrum as a kid)

Future:

piano (better master the guitar first though), the gym (will I ever learn?), something else sporty like a martial art

I'm sure there are others but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

I would love to do am-dram but too shy. Is there something local?

Have enquired about a distance learning MA, inspired by Hild, but we are mid-car replacement, wedding arrangements, work, garden renovation and anything else life might throw. Not sure.

I volunteer locally, not sure whether that's a hobby but it gives as much to me as it does to them and I love it.

Ex: flute (still current if I ever had the time to play), tap (I am no longer 10-yrs-old but still get the urge).

Future: piano (no room for one to practise on, currently stuck on basics), yoga (ongoing quest for fitness) and AOL - any other language (am a linguist - would love to brush up/progress in a few/start a new one).

#19 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

I would love to do am-dram but too shy. Is there something local?

Yes, The SLTC on Norwood High Street

#20 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Failed/fallen by the wayside - sewing (buy the stuff but never do anything with it, but maybe I should dust it off and beat the credit crunch with my groovy handmade clothes?), sculpture (lugging sacks of clay did my back in but I'd like to go back to it one day)

current - gardening obsessive and improving tap dancer (Spoon - do you want details of classes?)

future - would like to try fencing (the sport, not DIY) but possibly too fat for the bodysuit!

Edited by HeadGardener, 23 September 2008 - 05:05 PM.

#21 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

I am curious, HeadGardener. I read in Transmitter about classes starting at South Norwood Lake - the teacher is interviewed in this issue.

However, remembering my childhood tap teacher appraising us as we hurtled towards our teenage years and the look of dismay as she gave us the once-over and said this year's show costumes had better become dresses for our class as she didn't fancy our chances in a leotard any more puts me off!

#22 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

Headgardener - I have the email address of a tap class that has just started up. I shall dig it out and PM you

I also love sewing, knitting, etc and my patch work quilt is slowly growing in size! It occupys me when I'm babysitting and the kids are in bed!

Edited by miss emma, 24 September 2008 - 08:47 AM.

Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#23 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

Ooh-ooh! I want tap lessons too! Haven't done any in years (was quite good once upon a time...) so would love to find a class locally! Anyone with details - please send'em here!

#24 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

FAILED
football, cake baking, guitar, painting

PRESENT
squash, tennis (weather permitting), badminton, life drawing, eating - lots, gym (yawn!), cycling, photo manipulation

FUTURE
fencing (good for the thighs!), banger racing, buying a VW camper van, football again!, interior design, gardening (when i finally get that elusive garden!)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#25 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

I suppose the thing about hobbies is the cost. Dazza wants to make money from his hobbies (good idea!); I try and take up hobbies that are cheap (kite flying) / will pay for themselves (cycling) / provide a small income (DJing); at the other end are hobbies that can be quite expensive... e.g. my Dad was a keen dinghy sailor and we had 3 boats at one point, ranging in cost from a few hundred to over a grand. Not to mention sails, trailers, wetsuits, bouyancy aids, etc etc etc

Do we need to spend serious cash on hobbies?
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#26 Heather

Heather

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

I once aquired a weaving loom whilst on a weekend break in Dorset. I arrived home triumphant waving said loom in the air exclaiming to my friend "look what I've got"..... she asked if I had 'run out of things to buy?' . Needless to say, I never did weave anything.

#27 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

I like hobbies where the initial layout is quite low and you can build gradually. That way you can decide over time if it's something you are likely to stick at. With the guitar, I spent 250 on the guitar (that's considered budget range) but the tuition is 40 a week, which is pushing 2,000 a year :o . However, that's not money paid out all at once so I can stop at any time should I lose interest (quite unlikely as I'm determined to stick at this) or not be able to afford it. Also, I didn't have lessons for the first 5 months whilst I played around learning the basics and deciding whether the hobby was for me. I'd love to buy a more expensive guitar for around the 1K mark but have other financial priorities at the moment so it's unlikely to happen unless I can pick up something second hand.

With regard to previous hobbies, veg growing was quite expensive due to initial layout - tools, material for beds, compost & other accoutrements, seeds. Rollerblading was 70-ish for skates followed by classes but then after that it was free - I highly recommend this hobby but it was better when I lived in central London and near to Hyde Park.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#28 Heather

Heather

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:18 PM

Actually did start earning a very small living out of making teddy bears ( check out picture under my name). This really was the hobby that took off, however fell pregnant and had no inspiration so did jigsaws instead. After baby was born, working with fluff was out of the question. I still have all the bits, maybe oneday.....

#29 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

Well, it's not so much a hobby as a lifestyle (or addiction, depending on how you look at it) but I've been running like crazy this year. And the thing is, the more I get into it, the more I realise I'm going to have to spend. New running shoes every 500 miles, wet weather gear, heart rate monitors, Garmin GPS trackers (for those long weekend training runs!) and of course race entry costs. It's not cheap! But I don't care, I love it! And I have my first half marathon in just over two weeks!

I'm also a procrastinating writer. Poetry mostly (and I'm determined to start submitting some of my stuff to journals this year) but I have a novel on the go, too.

I used to be a proficient cellist, back in the day. I'd like to get that back, but the credit crunch doesn't accommodate financing the quality of cello I'd be happy playing.

I'd like someone to teach me to knit, and I have a sewing machine languishing in the back of a cupboard that I'd like to actually use.

And I'd like to get my languages back - French and Spanish.

Oh, and I study. But that's more out of career necessity than hobby-driven. Though I do enjoy it...

#30 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

Elmo - my aged parent, too, was a dinghy sailor - & went as far as to build 2 boats (SigneTs), after getting bored building canoes... And you're right about the cost - we also had part shares in an Enterprise, a Pacer & a GP 14 - at one stage I swear we must have been bank rolling Lancing Sailing Club with 5 dinghies registered there. :) (And we made our own wet suits in the early 70s, gaahhh.)

I did take up one hobby, mask-making - which developed into a production line for a Greek-drama theatre group. Didn't earn me much (apart from a lovely review in The Times).

wmp