• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#31 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

At various times we had a GP-14, Enterprise, Mirror, Topper, Fireball and a Streaker. I've also been in a Hobie Cat (frightening!) and a Wayfarer. We may have also had a Laser, but my memory doesn't serve me too well!

I think you can see Toppers and Optimists down at South Norwood lake, but the water is really too small for anything serious.

It's a great sport, but believe it or not, I'm not too keen on water... :unsure:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#32 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

Oh - Hobie cats - bad memory - combined championship week run by Wells next the Sea sailing club in the mid 70s. Hobie cats have just over twice the sail area of a SigneT... We did a tiddly olympic course inside their great one & nearly died every time we all went back to the club house.

Oh dear off subject, rather.

Other failed hobbies - fencing (too much damage to wrist for foil & sabre teachers/partners are harder to find). "Knitting" chainmail (too hard on the fingers, even if you mastered the ring patterns), tapestry (got to hate the scratchy wool we used for kneelers), keeping stick insects (not very lively, are they?)...

wmp

#33 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:34 PM

Ooops! Took my eye off the thread and now see there are several budding tap dancers agog for news of classes ....

Leader School of Dance at Chatsworth Baptist Church, Chatsworth Way, SE27 has tap classes for adults. Ring 8678 7828 for details.

#34 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

I'm interested in squeezing in a lunch time class in the week to keep healthy in mind and body. I want to do a Tai chi class, but that has already started so I cant join that until January now unfortunately. One class I could start in November is Alexander Technique. Does anyone have any experience of it as I'm not very clear what it is or how it works - thanks :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#35 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

Isn't it to help your back? I think it sounded like a series of exercises that corrects your posture over time. I used to work with someone who said it was great but you had to concentrate and do it perfectly but it was worth it.

An acquaintance's other half runs the Art of Swimming business (I keep seeing ads for it). Apparently he uses the Alexander Technique to help via swimming. She swears by it but of course she has to. I have no personal experience of the activity or first-hand testimonials. I bet it's good, though. Anything learned over time that helps you to keep in healthier shape spine-wise can't be bad.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a good lunch time hobby - why wait until your back is already bad before you start to look after it?

I'm convincing myself here!

#36 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

I could definitely do with some posture work. I sit on my bum all day in the office and often get stiff shoulders and pins and needles in my legs. And cramp in my toe sometimes when driving. I think it corrects your breathing too - I guess posture and breathing are all related. The class is only an introduction to it, for 6 weeks, and costs just over 50 squid, so I might just give it a whirl. Thanks Spoon! :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#37 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

I'm still battling on learning Polish although it's hard without a proper teacher. During my gap year next year I will invest in proper lessons.

Also just started learning sign language. It was on my to-do list for helping me with my paramedic amition but then my cousin and his wife has had twins and sadly one of them is profoundly deaf. They begin their signing lessons this week and I thought I would do the same (even though we don't see them very often). I can already do the alphabet.
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#38 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

Now I want to come as well!

#39 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

Spoon - I was talking to LizzieC aboutsign language classes tonight and she would like to come with me if I can find a cheap one (and it would have to be cheap until I find a job and finish driving lessons!) so you could join us if you want?

I will let you know if I find one I like!
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#40 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

Thanks, Miss Emma - caused confusion as I was replying to the Alexander Technique but you must have posted just ahead of me. I know sign language. Not brilliant but enough that I explained a bus route to someone stuck at 2am in West Norwood about three years ago. I was very proud of myself. Probably, as ever with languages, wasn't feeling too self-conscious to give it a go after a night out on the tiles...

#41 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

wow, spoon, you are a linguist! How different are British and American and other sign languages?

I'm quite keen to learn Alexander Technique, either for regular postural work or for swimming. It is a training program, not exercise or really a hobby. Everyone I know who has tried it says it worked wonders for them, but then they always qualify this by saying that maybe it's not for everyone. There are useful websites out there http://www.stat.org.uk/ , http://en.wikipedia....ander_Technique

Normally it is quite expensive for a 1:1 training, which is recommended as the best way to go. I have not succeeded in getting any kind of NHS coverage for it, so haven't tried it yet.

Edited by Ziwa, 01 October 2008 - 10:28 AM.

#42 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

Have no idea. Interesting. Somebody on here must know.

(Thanks but it was nothing complicated, rest assured.)

I tell you what would get me going to classes - Russian. I used to be quite good at it but I hardly ever practise now. Probably once or twice a year when I meet a willing victim. One of our "hobbies" is Eastern Europe. By happy coincidence, the Spoons are both big fans of the region and have taken the odd weekend here and there. I lived in St Petersburg for a few months a decade ago, which I loved. The price of a cocktail on our jaunts in that direction really brings out the linguist in me. Other than that, no Russian action at Spoon Towers and I miss it a lot. I'm not sure whether I'd prefer classes at the moment or a conversation group. Probably classes to get my hand back in properly.

#43 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

Details of the Alexander Technique class are here, Spoon: http://www.bishopsga...ils.asp?ID=1426

Is at the Bishopsgate Institute, not sure convenient that is for you workwise? I'm still deciding :D

I always wanted to learn sign language too. But it would probably be the same kind of experience as when I took Japanese classes - good fun at first, but I'd probably bail when it got too difficult or if I had to make the effort to put in the hours and study outside the class etc. Am definitely doing Tai Chi from next Jan onwards tho :)

#44 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

There are AT teachers closer to home: http://www.freeyourneck.co.uk/ Herne Hill & Brixton; http://www.skillforlife.com/ Beckenham

#45 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

Ah, thanks, moc. At the moment, work is in Pimlico - not the best for Bishopsgate. Moving to Borough in three months, though, which would be ok but it won't be in time for this. It's gone on my hobby to-do list, though. Along with drawing, Russian, Spanish, pottery, yoga, running... :lol:

I don't know whether it's classed as a hobby but my favourite way to spend free time (when I can't spend it with Mr Spoon, obviously) is working as a volunteer at St Christopher's Hospice in Sydenham. If anyone fancies it, I know they need more at the moment. PM me if interested.