• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Canuk

Canuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:30 AM

My Great-Grandmother is buried in the cemetery. Her name is Elizabeth (Bannister) Cornwell; died approx 1904. Is there a listing of tomb stones in the cemetery? If so.. can someone check to see if she has a marker on her grave.

Another question... my Grandmother lived on Blenheim Road.. she left Britain over 75 years ago; but I'm wondering if there is a Blenheim Road/Street in Wandsworth.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#2 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:10 AM

Try contacting someone at the Friends of West Norwood Cemetary site
http://www.fownc.org/

#3 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:47 PM

Gendocs lists a Blenheim Villas, Battersea, Wandsworth, SW in 1881, but it's not in my 1891 directory. My 1912 directory has a Blenheim St in Chelsea, SW, approximately where Danube St is now, but that's a long way from Wandsworth. There is a Blenheim Rd in Morden, SW20, but that's a long way away too.

Do you have any more clues, e.g. school, church, she attended?

#4 Canuk

Canuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:14 PM

Chris, thank you for you help. Unfortunately, my Grandmother never mentioned (or I don't recall) a school; just said she went to a girls school; and she worked for the Underground Railway during WW1. However, a neighbour of hers was Sir Percy Sillitoe when she was a little girl. My Grandmother passed away last August at 103 years old - I would dearly love to find and visit the house she lived in as a child. Although she spoke so fondly of England; we never got down to "details" during our conversations. I checked the 1901 UK Census and found her father listed (Henry Cornwell, Wandsworth, London, Kensington) I am awaiting an email back from the Canadian office to purchase a voucher to see what is contained in the census. When checking streets on the web site I found Blenheim House, Wandsworth St.Fai??? (can't read it) Padmore Road.
Is is possible to find where the Sillitoe family lived - that could narrow the search considerably.... thanks again for your kind assistance.

#5 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 05:09 PM

Ageing friends & relatives do have an inconsiderate habit of dying just before you get around to pumping them for information. Here, we have reminiscence sessions for older people, but I don't know what they do with the information they elicit.

Doing a place search for Blenheim/Wandsworth on the 1901 census I indeed see Blenheim House, Podmore Road, Wandsworth, Ecclesiastical Parish St Faiths. Podmore Road still exists; it was Padmore St in 1891. My map isn't of sufficient scale to name individual houses, and there's no Wandsworth Rd shown nearby. There are no Blenheim Houses listed around there in a more recent (1981) list.

As I'm sure you appreciate, you've reached the stage where you really need more local experts at a "Virtual Wandsworth" site. Wandsworth Museum should have detailed local directories and that page says they will answer simple queries free.