5 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

Does anyone know the history of the church in Waldegrave Road that is now flats?

What denomination was it and when did it close?

Developed a slight curiosity about it as now pass it regularly on new route to work thanks to bad traffic through West Norwood...
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#2 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:10 AM

I know it was the first concrete church in the UK when it was built in 1883... but that's all.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

It was made from the spoils of crystal palace was built I have been led to believe ! Our family owns one of the houses opposite & over the years I have seen the former church fall into a poor state of repair as all the features are slowly wearing away.

I can remeber it being converted in the late 80's as I went to have a look at the time out of curiosity.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

It was Swedenborgian. I'm sure there's an old thread on this somewhere so will try and dig it out.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

It was variously called "Swedenborgian", "New Church", or "New Jerusalem Church", named after Emmanuel Swedenborg, a Swedish theologian who had a series of visions which led him to some rather unconventional new doctrines that many would not class as Christian. As Elmo says, it was built of concrete, mixed using clay dug from its own foundations. (Many local buildings, and Penge railway tunnel, are made of locally dug and fired bricks.) It closed in 1985, and "New Church Court" first appears on the electoral roll for 1992, compiled 1991. I heard that its members were going to build a new New Church somewhere on the outskirts of Bromley borough, but I don't know whether that happened.

#6 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

Sounds like a tasty swedish meal to me !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig