• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

Does anyone have an infra-red cat flap? I am getting a new back door and was contemplating getting one (sick of an unneutered tom cat coming in every day) and was wondering if they are any good.
Rachel
My link

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

I went for the magnetic one, which was cheaper. I seem to remember the infra-red ones were pretty expensive. Anyway, the magnetic one was fine until this year when the people over the back from us got a new cat and decided to fit a magnetic cat flap also :D . I'm not sure if the other cat has actually been in our house but he does hang around the back door a lot!

It's a good idea to get one that can be locked to either stop cats coming in or going out as this is useful if you ever need to keep them in for a while. I think both the magnetic and infra-red versions of the Staywell door have this option. The other useful thing about the magnetic/infra-red cat flaps is that they stop rats getting in. Apparently, it's not uncommon for rats to enter your house via the cat flap :( .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

I wish this was commercially available. Put simply, it recognises your cat's profile and allows access that way. The benefit being that if the profile has got a mouse attached to it then the door stays shut. I'm getting tired of chasing our cat's pet collection around the bedroom...

#4 skigirl

skigirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

I've used both a magnetic and infra-red one. Unless you have a neighbouring cat that also uses a magnetic one, I would recommend the magnetic. With the infra-red, it's quite a large device that you attach to the collar. And if your cat is sitting next to the cat-flap watching the neighbouring cat trying to get in, your cat will activate the infra-red, thereby letting the offending little rascal in. And the magnetic is cheaper.

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

OMG, I want Flo Control!

Yesterday, I went into the bedroom and it was bit smelly, as in decomposing mouse smelly (I can recognise that odour anywhere now). I looked under the bed and there were the two halves of a decapitated mouse - lovely.

We've had about three mice in the last week as Margot has found a nest of babies. Fortunately, they have all been dead but she quite often brings in live ones in the middle of the night and we've had to get them out from behind the radiator and inside the lining of the curtains before now :blink: . Not much fun at 3.00 in the morning when you have to be up for work in a few hours.

The worst instance involved a visit from Rentokill to catch a rat she'd brought in that was hiding behind the kitchen units.

They drive you nuts but you wouldn't live without them, the cats that is, not their rodent friends!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

Can't help with preventing the cat bringing in 'gifts' but there is another alternative to the magnetic and infrared flaps - the microchip cat flap http://www.petporte.com/. We've installed it because neither of our cats will tolerate wearing collars and we didn't want a flap that would allow other cats to get in. One point to note though is that the flap doesn't work with thermachip microchips as the range isn't wide enough to be picked up by the scanner in the porch. You can check with the supplier though before you buy (provided you have the id number).

#7 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

I have got two cats including cat flap....and unfortunately also a neighbours cat who kept on entering the house via the cat flap. My cats didn't like that at all, nor did I. I tried the old trick of pouring water over the other cat to scare it off. Instead, it just shook itself, and went straight past me back into MY house. This went on for quite a few times, in fact, the glass of water was followed by a jug, again, the cat just shook off the water and went straight back in..... Off I went to get a new cat flap, a magnetic one which I thought would solve the issue.

I then watched totally gobsmacked how the little thing kept on running against the (now locked) cat flap until it finally gave way a few days later. So all in all I had spent around 100 pounds at this point and I decided to give in..... They say cats chose their owners - well, I have never fed this cat (even until today, around 2 years later) but have accepted the fact that it stays during most nights....

The owners don't have a cat flap and, who can blame the cat - if you can chose between being outside in the rain or a cosy house........

good luck with the cat flap ;) - I personally just go for the cheap ones now... ;)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#8 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

We have a magnetic one and we never get feline visitors - although we occasionally get a mouse or two- The only downside is that you can only use old fashioned collars with a buckle as the safety ones have a large plastic thing at either end that is to big for the magnet to pass over and its getting harder to find collars that don't operate with the clasp fastener.

Its also worth getting a couple of spare magnets as we have a cat who has mastered the skill of losing his collar and magnet and scratching noisily to get in at 3am.

#9 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

Thanks everyone. I am swaying towards the magnetic one. My neighbours have one, but their cats don't come in - just the beastly unneutered tom who doesn't have a collar.

Was tempted by the microchip one, but you need a socket next to your door, which we don't have. The only thing that puts me off the magnetic one is that my mother once found her neighbour's cat with a can lid stuck to his collar, cutting into his neck. I suppose that's pretty flukish though.

Not had any mice yet. They are still at the worm and frog stage. Had a live frog in my shoe the other morning in the early hours...
Rachel
My link

#10 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

The owners don't have a cat flap and, who can blame the cat - if you can chose between being outside in the rain or a cosy house........

Maybe it's time to (politely) ask your visitor's owners to get their own cat flap?! :unsure:
aka Pie

#11 funstuie

funstuie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

We have a magnetic one for our two cats and have never had any other cats come through (and there are a lot of cats around stambourne way), but our two girls would kill/maim anything that came through the door. The don't even like each other so other cats are in for it if they venture into their patch. The only time they spend together is attacking other cats or eating.

In the past couple of months we have had a number of mice (the alive one screamed!!), a few dead birds, 2 live birds and a squirrel(although I reckon they found that).

#12 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:14 PM

The only thing that puts me off the magnetic one is that my mother once found her neighbour's cat with a can lid stuck to his collar, cutting into his neck. I suppose that's pretty flukish though.

I think thats pretty rare - The worse thing Harry brings in on the magnet are bit of iron filings and the odd screw or nail - nothing life threatening for him or us though

#13 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

If in doubt, you could try not having a cat flap and butling for the cat when you're home. You have to learn a bit of cattish to manage this successfully but the most useful phrase is the strange change in his doorbell miaow that means "I have a mouse for you, let me in". His voice goes all deep and serious. We don't answer this bell any more.

When you're all out, have a cat house outside for the furry one to come back to. The cat house has a cat flap.

http://www.happyhutc....php?product=12

I must add that we tried this and he would rather sit on the garden table, whatever the weather, or under it in extreme circumstances, but other cats may feel differently.

I am determined that he will use the cat house one day - it is in sight from his position on the table and he knows what it is - but do keep an eye out for it in Items for Sale.

#14 vickyp

vickyp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

We've got the magnet style catflap. We've also had rusty nails and bolts etc. and one occassion the nail detatched from the collar magnet onto the catflap on the way in, drawn by the magnet that's in the bottom, it had attached itself in such a way that the flap couldn't open. Luckily both cats were in the house, rather than one being trapped outside.

Our two have the plastic safety snap collars, we've attached the magnets to the bit that the bells attach to.

We've found that the lock doesn't really deter a cat who wants to get out, they just barge past (though people do comment that our two are not small cats) so we have to put a board over it to keep them in overnight (hubby is paranoid about foxes etc. and won't let them out overnight)

#15 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:48 AM

I have an infra red cat flap...Basically cat has a collar and flap recognises colar and lets her in...Requires 2 AA batteries and cat can come in and out as she please....Also stops other animals as well as mice getting in...As flat only opens for my cat....

You get supplied additional collar and collar is quick releasing and so no drama re. cat getting stuck in a tree etc. It was by Staywell and I got it from Argos - was good value...50 but means cat safe...And stops other cats - that are predatory and upset my cat getting in.