• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#16 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

All cats are predatory, sunray, even yours! That's why they have those meaty eaty teethies and slicey dicey claws in their cutey little paws!

#17 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

so we have to put a board over it to keep them in overnight (hubby is paranoid about foxes etc. and won't let them out overnight)

I am sure we mentioned this on another thread - Cats and foxes ignore each other, the chances of your two being injured by a fox are nigh on impossible

#18 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

thanks, know that but my cat got into a nasty fight a month into me moving here and had a really nasty bite...From a rather nasty cat...So wanted to make sure my cat could get into the house and be safe as he is very nervy. Cats down my road are a bit more aggressive and streetwise than my cat...But think he has now learnt to fight back.
I have a fox at the end of my garden and cat and fox get on well....Sit near each other and seem to have mutal respect....All odd.

#19 picklesgirl13

picklesgirl13

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

When you're all out, have a cat house outside for the furry one to come back to.

I must add that we tried this and he would rather sit on the garden table, whatever the weather, or under it in extreme circumstances, but other cats may feel differently.

I am determined that he will use the cat house one day - it is in sight from his position on the table and he knows what it is - but do keep an eye out for it in Items for Sale.

Spoon, good luck!! My cat LOVES being inside boxes, bags, under the duvet etc. so I bought her a lovely cat house for the garden a couple of years ago and she has never ever used it!! Next doors cat has regular naps in tho... :lol:

#20 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

Cheers. No joy at ours in about 18 months. I'm considering serving his dinner in it one day to see what happens after that.

#21 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

We went for the magnetic one in the end. Basil managed to lose his collar three times in the first 24 hours, but since then ok. They are still struggling with it a bit - doesn't help that they scrabble at the top of the flap intead of using their heads.

Last night, we couldn't understand why one of his bowls kept getting flipped over. Assumed they were just being naughty, as per usual, until we heard a banging sound. Poor Basil was desperately trying to eat of it, but couldn't because he'd picked it up with his magnet. So if anyone wants a posh metal cat bowl...!

Also, Lily keeps getting attached to the radiator, but not inexorably so!

But no more cat pee smells in the house. Hurray!
Rachel
My link

#22 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

Oh no! Poor magnetised kitties - hope they get used to their magnets soon. Ours tried to open the flap using paws at first, but soon got the hang of it. The radiator bit is quite amusing! We haven't had that problem although end of Margot's collar has a metal thing on it, which seems to be permanently attached to the magnet at the moment.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#23 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

The radiator thing is quite funny. You hear her scrabbling round the back of the settee and then suddenly, clunk, and you know she's been caught! She doesn't seem to mind though.
Rachel
My link

#24 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:22 PM

The mental image of your cat/s with a bowl on the head or stuck to the radiator is quite funny! :lol: One of our cats has been coming and going through our normal cat flap for years, but she's recently started fiddling with it with her paws and claws - next thing we know she's managed to turn the dial round to "closed" and can't get out (or in)! Don't know whether she's highly intelligent or really stupid...
aka Pie

#25 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:43 AM

The only downside is that you can only use old fashioned collars with a buckle as the safety ones have a large plastic thing at either end that is to big for the magnet to pass over and its getting harder to find collars that don't operate with the clasp fastener.

Where can you get buckle collars, iclipper? I have looked on line but can't spot any. They all seem to be the 'saftey seat belt' variety. Basil has become a past master at removing this type, and has now finally managed to ditch his collar, along with magnet, somewhere where I can't find it. I've had to tape the catflap so that he can come and go...
Rachel
My link

#26 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

Ah the old Sellotape trick. We've had to do that too so now keep a spare magnet, although the replacements aren't cheap! I only once tried one of those safety collars and Margot managed to lose it within a few days. Now we are back on the old type, which is a shame as I do worry about it getting caught.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#27 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

Yes, I've just sent off for some replacements.

Basil has managed to get his collar off about 10 times in the last couple of weeks, little beast, but until this weekend, I've always managed to find it!
Rachel
My link

#28 PersonalBest

PersonalBest

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

If it's the Staywell brand, they sell spare magnets in Wilkinson (Penge branch).

#29 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

ok, old thread.... I know..... but it seemed suitable..

I decided to try and install a magnetic cat flap again as I realised that my flat turned into an 'open house' for several cats in the area whilst I'm at work - cheeky buggers....... :D

However, one of my cats is not happy with the loud clicking noise the cat flap makes before it opens. Nor is he happy with getting stuck on anything metal now..... So he decided to not use the cat flap anymore and is suddenly just outside.....

Does anybody know if the infrared flap is also making the same noise? I don't want to buy it without having that confirmed first. The other problem is that the hole in the door needs to be bigger, so before cutting out the door I need to be sure it's worth doing......

...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#30 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

I have the magnetic one and wouldn't recommend it to be honest as metal bits and bobs get picked up by the magnet on the cat's collar. So, may be a blessing that it didn't work out for you. Also, as quite a few people seem to have them we still get visits from other cats! Not tried the infrared but we are looking into getting something like the Pet Porte, which you can programme for individual cats. I've only ever seen them online so don't know how smoothly they open I'm afraid.
Mel, Forum Moderator