#1 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hello
I don't post very often, especially when it comes to ranting but I'm so angry I could scream! Two months ago I joined a very well known gym that has branches all over the place with the best of intentions about going regularly - and I have indeed been doing just that, and even got myself a personal trainer.
When I started going to the gym I was going to a branch in Victoria, which was a bit run down and the machines weren't that great. So I upped my membership to a higher standard which allows me access to any of their gyms, all of the facilities etc so I didn't need to go to the yukky one with the machines that had seen better days - and it also meant I don't have to go via town to get home - more expensive.

But after a month I really do give up. I've been going 3 times a week to a gym a couple of train stops away, but find that I have to queue to get on machines every time I go. Even if I get there at 8pm its still mobbed.
I tried another branch tonight, that was even worse. I spotted around 6 women waiting for people to finish on the treadmills. My trainer has given me a programme involving cardio and weights and I need to get access to them to exercise whenever I go. Not once have I been able to get near the dumbells in any gym after 5pm in two months!!!

I'm at the point of cancelling my membership and trying something else in a bid to get fit. I'm furious that I'm paying all this money to queue in gyms.

Anyone have any ideas? I keep whinging at my partner that we need to leave London as life is becoming just too mental to bear re trains, getting served in place, everything - and this seems the final straw - 10 years here too much!!!! (but I love CP!)

(I know - maybe I should buy a punchbag!!)

#2 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:21 PM

try C.P. gym in the park - ive never had a problem with queues...and you can cancel your membership with only a months notice!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#3 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

Or you could try Fusion Leisure in Brockwell Park, Herne Hill. It is really nice in there and not too packed. It's 47 per month and you can cancel with a months notice. It also has a hydro pool, sauna, steam room and you can use the lido in the summer months. Only downside is its a bit far away.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#4 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

well, CP is not the greatest of all gyms, however, you definitely don't need to wait for any machines.
I have got a Wellness Premier membership which means :

If i just want to use the treadmill, cross trainer for a quick session - I walk to the CP sports center. If I want to combine it with maybe a swim, sauna or steam AND a very nice gym, I go to Beckenham Spa.

I can also chose any gym of the GLL network - pls have a look here :

http://www.gll.org/centre/

some are nice, some are awful - just give it a try.

cheers

palacegirl :rolleyes:
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#5 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:18 PM

1) two months without going close to the dumbells seem quite bad luck - never happened to me in way too many years around gyms ... some suggestions ... not sure if totally feasible:

- try other hours avoiding peak hours (i.e. go at lunchtime or early morning)

- if you need the treadmill and they are often jammed: use other machines you might still wait for some time but prob less than for the threadmill + if someone is using the threadmill for longer than 20 minutes then call the PT or anyone in the gym to point out the situation and make them get off the treadmill

- try alternatives to dumbells if you think they are always taken/used then use machines or cables or any other alternative (ask your PT) so that you will reduce the time you have to wait

- map all the gyms you might be able to use under the same chain and I am sure you'll find some alternative in the medium term

- express your concern to the gym management and if the problems continue u can use that to exit the contract

Edited by LSPE, 04 November 2008 - 12:18 PM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#6 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hello
thanks for your suggestions - the difficulty is I work in White City - hour and a half each way from CP - so leaving earlier in the morning or going to the park on my way home from work (in the dark and I dont drive) wont really work. I think I will try out some alternatives in the meantime, somehow try to avoid the most congested ones, and see what would be best longer term.

I just wanted a rant last night and felt better for it!

#7 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

What about trying 'British Military Fitness' - they have parks and areas where they hold these routines everywhere - im sure theres one starting at 7.30pm around by white city :) - that will sort out all your fitness problems.... also it may make you cry - its good to cry ha ha
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#8 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:21 PM

Change to a more expensive & exclusive club if you dont want to queue for equipment . I suppose you are talking about LA fitness which I consider the poundland of Gyms !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#9 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

I agree with Dazza. I was until recently a member of Amida (now David Lloyd) in Beckenham... 70/month, but there were always stacks of machines free and a really nice pool and spa area.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#10 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Spa @ beckenham is good too 327 goes back to Crystal Palace but stick to the central london one if you wanna make sure you have plenty of opportunities to attend the gym

Dazza - u are making an assumption re the gyms - I have been to different ones incentral london from LA Fit to more exclusive ones and they were all busy above all at peak hours .... the less you pay the more "popular" they are of course but LA Fit not the only one in the list ... depends also where it is based.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#11 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

I know Amida well a very nice Gym indeed / LA Fitness cheap as chips but you get what you pay for !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#12 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

and I dont drive) wont really work.

You really don't drive?!!! :blink:
aka Pie

#13 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

What's weird about that? I don't drive either ...

#14 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

What's weird about it is that Chrissyb can drive but won't!! Consquently, I have to do all the driving ;) . But I can promise you that she's going to be contacting Giovanni to get some top-up lessons and build up her confidence.

She'll kill me for posting this!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#15 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

chrissy I understand! I love driving, can drive trucks and motorcycles and enjoy it, but not so much here. I let my license lapse and now need to get an update (which really rankles since I've been driving since I was 15 and a half!).

gekko you guys need to go on a US road trip and make chrissyb do all the driving!