• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 mandyt

mandyt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

or try Virgin Active in Streatham - only a couple of stops away from CP and enroute home.
My membership costs 50 per month and its a really nice gym with sauna steam room etc - used to be Holmes Place.
don't get stung by the joining fee tho....

#17 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

But I can promise you that she's going to be contacting Giovanni to get some top-up lessons and build up her confidence.

She'll kill me for posting this!

Chrissy, you just need lots of practice and you'll be fine. I hardly ever drive on the motorway so I don't like it and still try to avoid it .. and I passed my test way back when!
aka Pie

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:07 PM

I knew someone who worked out driving routes so she only ever had to turn left and never cross traffic. Mr Spoon disputes that this would work but it did for her. Just school run, friends, gym and Sainsbury's probably, but it got her from A-B.

#19 twill

twill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

That depends on where "B" is.

#20 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

It was left.

#21 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hi all
how funny - this has turned into a rant about driving! No - I should drive but I just despise it in London - in fact I despise being in a car in London full stop.
Yes its LA Fitness I go to. I've tried a number of locations, but they are all pretty mental. I go to London Bridge for my trainer, and last night it was embarassing as two machines we tried to access were broken (weight training).
Streatham is rammed full of people so trying to get near anything and even then trying to get space once you get hold of something is impossible.
Clapham Junction - forget it. I've never seen people actually queuing for machines before.

Maybe westfield will open a nice gym and I can think about that - 10 mins down the road from work......

#22 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hmm, living out in the sticks does have some advantages, then. I was going say that my gym costs less than 30 quid a month, has no minimum contract term, is rarely full (sometimes I have it all to myself) and the machines are all computerised and wirelessly linked to a central server that maintains everyone's personal workout programmes (this can be accessed via a web interface should you for some reason require instant access to the facts and figures of your fitness regime).

But I won't because that might sound like I was gloating... :P

#23 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yes you are gloating - I am very envious!
Anyway I am at home with a bad cold (and suspected throat infection) today so no gym for me for a couple of days and I was suffering with the beginnings of it last week so decided to take it easy then too. Which means I'll have attended the gym twice in two weeks - sigh.
But on the gym front, it's Fitness First I go to not LA Fitness (had some sort of mental block on that one). And I think the only way around it is to go later in the evening when everyone wants to get their workout out of the way and home to relax.

#24 moomin

moomin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

I'm also a Fitness First member. The difference in quality, cleanliness and busyness around their London gyms is variable to say the least! Having said that, I like them on price, provision of free weights, lack of kids (a la David Lloyd, Esporta etc.) and general unfussiness. Of the ones I've used Chancery Lane is easily the best (excellent gym and always empty!). Purley is also very good (the only one with trainers I'd actually pay for).

The closest ones to Crystal Palace are Balham (small and busy), Clapham Junction (there are 2 - the one in the train station building is a good gym but gets busy in peak times), Beckenham (haven't been but it's new) and Croydon (big gym, large free weights area normally very quiet. On the downside you have to share parking with a lidl - my last car took a battering!).

London Bridge is undoubtedly the worst as they have massively oversold membership. I love that they squeezed in one of those pathetic powerplate machines by making the rowing machines so close together that users arms collide....

Edited by moomin, 11 November 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#25 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:39 AM

I'm also a Fitness First member. The difference in quality, cleanliness and busyness around their London gyms is variable to say the least! Having said that, I like them on price, provision of free weights, lack of kids (a la David Lloyd, Esporta etc.) and general unfussiness. Of the ones I've used Chancery Lane is easily the best (excellent gym and always empty!). Purley is also very good (the only one with trainers I'd actually pay for).

As a fellow Fitness First member I was interested to read the above. However, a quick check on their website shows that the Chancery Lane branch is a Platinum club and therefore 'regular' members such as myself are unable to use it.

Ho hum! I agree with your assessment of some of the other local ones though.

#26 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

If you join the London Fitness network are there no gyms near your work that are part of that? I'm thinking of joining up to it so I can use Beckenham, CP and the Oasis in central london near my office. It's about 50 a month, which seems pretty good to me!
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#27 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

I use top notch at London Bridge it has its faults but there are always plenty of machines & when using the pool I sometimes find myself the only one in it. I also take my boy to the pool during the weekend for 2 as no one hardly uses it & it is extremely clean.

A good swimmming pool is a major factor for me when I join a new Gym.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#28 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

If Top Notch is the one under railway arches, I tried to join it, got a free pass etc.
They then kept me waiting over 25 minutes to sign up so I didn't bother.
Love The Triangle...

#29 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thats the one never but 1have not had any problems like that when I complain & that is frequently they have always fobbed me off with a free sun bed session it just makes me find more things to complain about even more !

If anyone is interested I can reccomend someone for a 3 day free pass if you are interested send me your details on a PM & I will submit your details.

Cheers

Dazza

PS Place is never full ! Well perhaps the 1st day back after xmas !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#30 skigirl

skigirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:44 PM

I'm a member of the Bloomsbury Fitness First and it's just fine. Zillions of treadmills & equipment - the only slightly yuckiness is the showers but I wear flip-flops and don't touch anything ;-)

I go before work. Up and out early sees me on the x68 at 6 am, at the gym near Russell Square at 6.45, worked out, showered and sat at my desk for 8.30 :-) And not a queue to be seen....

I can't go to the gym after work - I have all day to think up reasons as to why it would be much better to go tomorrow :-)

You can always try the gym in the Lewis Sports Centre in Harris City Tech College, Maberley Road. I've been a member there & it's fine. Not much equipment but not many people using it and its cheap. We often play squash there as well.