Photo

How would YOU improve the Crystal Palace triangle area?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 jrhartley

jrhartley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hello!

I am a fourth year architecture student and I am getting my teeth into Crystal Palace for my thesis project.... I would be really interested to hear people's thoughts about Crystal Palace, particularly the triangle / station / site of the old Crystal Palace. I have a blog entry with some of my observations about the area. Please forgive me if that are naive - my friend lives in CP and I've visited a few times, but clearly there's no substitute for local knowledge. I'd be really grateful to anyone who has time for their thoughts on the points I raise in the blog entry and any other comments they would like to add to the blog. I'm reading up as much as I can on the history and future of the place, but obviously all suggestions are most welcome - you can't have too many sources.

This is going to be a long project - 18 months at least, perhaps longer. Whilst it is 'academic' at this stage, it is very firmly grounded in reality, and hopefully will turn up some useful results which could feed into real-life enhancements and benefits to the area. I will obviously share my research and work with you via the blog.

the address is:

http://www.rk-tecture.com/ and the entry is today's date - 11 november 2008.

I look forward to reading your comments. Many thanks!

#2 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

hi jrhartley, welcome to VN!

Its good you've got 18 months for this project, as it might take you that long to read all the VN exchanges on the various hot topics. This is a very involved community, with lot of diverse opinions. You should look at threads on:

CP Park development - schedule a full day to read this one. For background information read up on the Ecowarriors, Crystal Palace Campaign, CPCA, Ray Hall's Rebuild the Palace, if you can find links on the internet.
The one-way-system
The National Sports Centre
...and lots of other stuff. I think you could get a full thesis worth of information out of VN.

Come down and visit the area as much as you can. Spend as much time as you can in the Park. Read up on the history of the CP, dinosaurs, aquarium. Eat at our fabulous restaurants. Come to a VN social (whenever will the next one be??)

I liked your suggestion on taming traffic between the triangle and the park - probably not realistic, but if we could make the Parade less of a turbulent highway it might help unify the area.

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

Hmmmm, let me think ..... off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

- better traffic light sequencing
- less grotty pubs (and more decent ones!)
- more quirky shops/boutiques
- Re-vamp and better lay-out at CP station (far too many steps from platforms 3/4, virtually impossible for disabled). It clearly used to be a magnificent station, now it is crumbling, dirty and with the main entrance (as was) boarded up
- NO more travelling fair-grounds
- clearing out of rubbish and better landscaping along the very top section of the park
- ban on people spitting on the pavement (urgh)
- re-vamp and increased use of CP Park bowl.

Will probably come up with more, but that's it for now ;)

Edited by Summit Lover, 12 November 2008 - 06:55 PM.

#4 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hmmmm, let me think ..... off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

- better traffic light sequencing
- less grotty pubs (and more decent ones!)
- more quirky shops/boutiques

- Re-vamp and better lay-out at CP station (far too many steps from platforms 3/4, virtually impossible for disabled). It clearly used to be a magnificent station, now it is crumbling, dirty and with the main entrance (as was) boarded up
- NO more travelling fair-grounds
- clearing out of rubbish and better landscaping along the very top section of the park
- ban on people spitting on the pavement (urgh)
- re-vamp and increased use of CP Park bowl.

Will probably come up with more, but that's it for now Posted Image

Well nearly 4 years on, it looks like we can cross off 2 items from your wish list SL, put one in the "green light for go category", two on amber alert, possibly - not wanting to jump the lights, and the others are still stuck on red. Not bad going. Anything else off the top of your head?

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Lawks.... doesn't time fly! Some progress indeed.

Erm.....
  • free chair lifts up the hills from CP & GH stations
  • fairy lights to light up the triangle at night
  • a theatre
  • instant vapourisation of anyone caught littering, spitting on pavements or leaving dog poo in the area
  • same for anyone cycling on pavements (apart from kiddiwinks with stabilisers)
  • a ban on any buggy bigger than a teeny maclaren in shops/restaurants/pubs (SLR take note!)
  • a G&G beer festival on my birthday (January)
That'll do for now :)

#6 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

• a branch of Moxons fish shop
  • a branch of William Rose butcher
  • a library that is saved in perpetuity
  • The Cambridge revamped, but as an old brown pub, not a gastro
  • a music shop (come back Warrior!)
  • Sainsbury becomes Waitrose
  • a fairly relaxed gay pub (while not gay, I've always liked gay pubs!)
  • as above with bikes on pavements, dog ***, buggies and CP station

I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#7 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

dare I suggest, a cinema.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Thank you Andreas.

I was going to suggest, after SL had posted, that we leave this thread for another three plus years and see what progress we had made, and then low and behold up popped NikD. That's what I love about VN. So then I thought, perhaps, we should move the thread to a more prominent location on the forum, but no, on reflection, I don't think we should - it's lovely posting here in the Local History section - it's as if one is opening the door of the wardrobe and entering a different, secret, tranquil world. There are some really fascinating threads.

I dipped into the OP's blog and was sad to see that he stopped blogging in 2010 - where is he now? Did he finish his thesis?

Then I discovered his blog on Daniel Kitson's 66a Church Road which took me to another place.

I do love Crystal Palace - so much to discover.

**Have just noticed the Local History section is in the Retreat - It all makes sense now. :) Time is irrelevant.

Edited by charlie, 13 March 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#9 lordlucan

lordlucan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

bring back the roundabout.

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Rebuild the crystal palace & dont let anyone who is involved on any of the various current committes have any involvement in the new plan & design.

Personally I would like to see a copy of the old CP with a modern twist with a commercail function like a good hotel chain.

Dazza

PS Miss the roudabout myself & have fond memeories of having tear ups with the old swan when i used to drink in the sportsman !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#11 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

a really good, slightly shabby, wine bar. I still miss the old Numidie basement - it had lots of character.

#12 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

a giant pair of Y-fronts stretched from one transmitter tower to the other

#13 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Posted Image

#14 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Now we are entering a different world. Don't need a Crystal Palace ball to know that will still be stuck on red in 3 years time Chewy.

#15 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

more seriously perhaps a space should be cleared on the top site for temporary art installations or fun things like ice rinks inthe winter or lido type pool inthe summer - alongside which should be pop up eateries and drinking establishments - with a view over the kent countryside - top of the park needs a bit of life in it - the parade is a rat run leading to a carbuncle bus termini - not inviting and not a great gateway to the park