50 replies to this topic

#31 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

Which prospective 1,000 stakeholders?

Search for the thread called 'The Shop Idea'.

Edited by GillW, 27 January 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#32 zcpav02

zcpav02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

Search for the thread called 'The Shop Idea'.

I see. Wouldn't want to steal Nick's idea, though, and I reckon the number of people with a spare grand kicking around are probably pretty slim on the ground. I say if you have the cash, support Nick's shop idea. I'll be able to find a less complicated way to finance a cinema, I'm sure. I'm just interested to know if you think it would be a good idea. Does anyone on VN actually use the bingo hall as it currently stands? Does anyone know if Gala are renting the premises, or did they buy back in the day when property was cheap enough for business to buy freehold? Any way of finding out if it is a profitable branch for Gala? Most importantly, would you go and see films there if it was a small, independent picture house?

#33 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

I see. Wouldn't want to steal Nick's idea, though, and I reckon the number of people with a spare grand kicking around are probably pretty slim on the ground. I say if you have the cash, support Nick's shop idea. I'll be able to find a less complicated way to finance a cinema, I'm sure. I'm just interested to know if you think it would be a good idea. Does anyone on VN actually use the bingo hall as it currently stands? Does anyone know if Gala are renting the premises, or did they buy back in the day when property was cheap enough for business to buy freehold? Any way of finding out if it is a profitable branch for Gala? Most importantly, would you go and see films there if it was a small, independent picture house?

I think it's a great idea, and you'll find others agree if you search under 'cinema' - some foundation work has already been done by some enthusiastic locals on just such a project. Could you start a new, specific thread for this discussion, or resurrect the old 'cinema' one? I think your views may not get read here as this thread tends to be used for posting jokey, light-hearted flights of fancy rather than serious business propositions!

#34 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

Whilst the Bingo Hall isnt my cup of tea it seems to be regularly used and is one of teh few things in the locale that lends itself to older people's interest. I think a better location would be the old car showroom further along Church Road - currently adorned with street art, which like teh Bingo Hall used to be a cinema many years ago. I think the Bingo Hall was the Granada and the Car showroom the Rialto - or maybe it was the otherway round

#35 JuliaABM

JuliaABM

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

What a brilliant thread !!

I'm sure the Bingo Hall used to be a cinema (they showed a Herman's Hermits film and Mary Poppins when I was very, very young - 1960s). I can't think of any hilarious responses as good as ones already posted, but I will say I often wish we had a venue like the Churchill Theatre or Fairfield Halls. A Nationwide Building Society would be good, especially now the one in West Norwood has closed.

I hope this thread keeps cooking on gas! :D

#36 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

arrange for a direct non stop train service to and from C Palace / Brighton at the weekend - journey time from the palace to looking at the sea approx 40 mins

wake up to find the victoria line has been extended from Brixton to somewhere near the triangle

have a lido on the topsite of the C Palace park - with a retractable roof, ultraviolet lights for a tan and mega sauna area - free to anyone from SE19

spot a "spring heeled jack" scarpering across the roof tops along church road after a couple of beers in the White Hart

Have some world class musical artists play the concert bowl in the summer

#37 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

Go back in time to see Bob Marley play the concert bowl in the late 70s. I think it was 1977, but I may be wrong.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#38 Mah-in

Mah-in

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

I'd like to put a CCTV camera by the pedestrian crossing outside CP Station, and erect some stocks in the garden by the bus stop. Then I'd catch the person who lets his dog foul the footpath there EVERY day, and put them in the stocks. I'm being kind. My first idea was a gallows.....

(PS I know who you are. I just want everybody else to know who you are too.)

#39 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Move out! According to our neighbours. We knew Mrs Neighbour had dreams of the seaside but she said that three years ago. So anyway, they're off - today, just like that.

They're nice. Who might move in now? :o

#40 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

Turn the clock back 50 years and dance that fantastic rock and roll at the town hall on Friday night just one more time.

#41 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

I'd put pink shutters up on every shop in SE19, would go down a bomb..

#42 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

have a lido on the topsite of the C Palace park - with a retractable roof, ultraviolet lights for a tan and mega sauna area - free to anyone from SE19

Great idea!
aka Pie

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

Great idea!

Ooh yes! And special lighting that would make me look a stone lighter in my cossie :rolleyes:

#44 jbphoto

jbphoto

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

I'd relocate the one way system in tunnels deep underground, re-instate Sydenham and Beulah Spas, and knock down the noddy houses in the middle of the triangle, replacing them with a huge grassy hill towering over the area ( a bit like glastonbury tor) with spectacular views from the top, and perhaps a funicular or cable car to get up there. Modest and easily achievable proposals really.

Check out my Interior Photography Blog at http://jamesbalston.com

#45 happymundays

happymundays

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

I'd like to be able to go into the farm at Crystal Palace farm and pet the animals...I know it's a working farm not a petting zoo...but I'd love to be able to give a rabbit or a guinea pig a cuddle every once in a while, until I get my own house/work-life balance ship shape enough that I can take on a pet myself...

You can it's open every day and they have days that all the small animals are out for a stroke mainly school hols for an hour.

You can it's open every day and they have days that all the small animals are out for a stroke mainly school hols for an hour.

I just saw the year on the posting.