• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah

Sarah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

In need to get broadband. Currently have Virgin Media phone and TV, but bearing in mind how often it seems to stick and I reset it or phone the faults line, I'm not confident about their broadband service. Any opinions?
Many thanks

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

I am a virgin customer I have the VIP package which is everything for 85 they even threw in a free wi fi box

Had occasional down time with internet but nothing spectacular.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

I also have the Virgin VIP package and no problems with my broadband (hope that doesn't jinx it). The phone line is another issue but as I never really use the phone it's mostly not an issue.

Are you sure the problem is with Virgin and not your router? You may need to update the firmware.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#4 OurPippin

OurPippin

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:55 AM

Have had the virgin XL pack for over a year now - the broadband is good and I have never had a problem with it. Fast! And their wirless router is easy to set up and other things connect to it without hassle. The installation was a pain and I had to make various complaints. They often rescheduled and had to come back to fix things, but once it was in it worked like a dream... Easy to have everything under one company as well really - only 1 bill to forget to pay on time...

#5 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

Another Virign customer here. In the last 5 years of using their broadband I have suffered one fault and one general power outage. Frankly it is the most reliable broadband service I have ever come across....
Nick, Forum Moderator

#6 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

I'm a Virgin VIP customer as well. Love the broadband... fast and reliable. I just hope they back away from the Phorm storm:
http://blog.wired.co...-takes-ano.html
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#7 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

I'm an o2 customer and have had only one problem with the service this year. I am very pleased with it.

#8 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

I have recently fitted a BT i-Plate and seen a significant improvement in my broadband speed.

BT i-Plate is an inexpensive device that is connected to the telephone master socket and can make significant improvements to broadband speed and reliability. It is for use with broadband connections using a BT line (BT, TalkTalk, Sky, etc.) only and not cable (Virgin Media, etc.). It also requires the more modern BT (NTE5) master socket, which is quite common nowadays.

The BT i-Plate acts as a filter to stabilise the signal. After a few days, the telephone exchange should recognise that the line quality has improved and reset broadband profile for the line. There may be further improvements after a few weeks.

Note that the ADSL micro filters still need to be fitted to telephones and other devices as normal.

Prior to fitting the BT i-Plate, my IP profile was 3Mbps. Within 3 days this increased to 3.5Mbps. One month later it is 5Mbps. However, any improvement is not guaranteed.

To check the current speed, visit http://speedtester.bt.com/. Note: If your IP profile is 135kbps, it indicates that there is a fault. This fault could be with a phone, ADSL filter or extension wire. Try borrowing phone or filter and only have the basics connected. Recheck speed after 3 days to see if there has been an improvement and use a process of elimination to identify faulty equipment. Warning: If BT are called out and they find the fault is with your wiring or equipment, they will charge for the visit.

BT i-Plate is available from BT Shop and www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk.

When fitting, always follow the instructions and seek competent professional advice if in doubt.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#9 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

I've got BT Broadband which along with the Line rental comes to about 26 a month - this includes free UK calls evening and weekends to landlines - speed is advertised as 8mb but is normally over 7mb - all in all - pretty good.

Unfortunately also got BT vision box for the TV which is about 14 a month - and IMHO - is a pile of cack so wont be renewing that in a few months time

#10 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

Hearing about BT Vision has reminded me about a legally, streaming live free-to-air tv programmes.
http://www.tvcatchup.com/
You need a good broadband speed to cope with the site and its still Beta, but its worth bookmarking.

#11 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

Still impressed with the improvement to broadband speed since fitting a BT i-Plate:

Posted Image

Results in kbps

Posted Image

Bearing in mind that there are 9 extension sockets, a REN booster, a fax and an auto-dialer connected on the same line, it is not bad. :D

There is a video to show how to fit one if anyone wants to try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHbOJIsTPw

Note: BT i-Plate is only suitable for users connected via a BT line and with the appropriate master socket. Users with a BT Openreach master socket should already have this technology built in.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#12 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

We have Bethere - 5.7 down and 1 up, no downtime, no crashes, very good customer service - know they're stuff. Bethere Pro package that we have is 24 a month.

#13 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

I'm with BeThere and get the same excellent service. I am on the Be Value package which offers up to 8 mb up / 1 mb down, for 13.45 a month. I actually get 12 mb down / 1 mb up. Looks like Bethere don't have a proper 8 mb package and bundle you into their 24 mb service.

But I've posted to mention there new unbelievable website. In what I hope is a marketing campaign they have launched a "retro website". A really weird decision and I cant see how they expect to get new customers. (link)

#14 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

I'm currently with BT but want to switch provider as they're too expensive. I'm wondering whether to take the plunge and go with Virgin Media for a phone/broadband package.

#15 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

Must admit that Virgin is fantastic when working however my only gripe is their call centre is not in the UK & when I have had a rare problem with my package (careful) it takes an age to get the desired result.

Virgin is top of all awards for their internet as well.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig