• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Yup - another vote for Virgin. Never seems to fail. Ever.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#17 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

If I get Virigin n it sucks, I'll know who to blame. :blink:

#18 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

I'm with Virgin but have had a few problems so thought I'd counter-balance the good reviews.

First off, I've had problems with my phoneline ever since installation. The quality of the line has never been very good with lots of crackling. Within a few months I had to get the engineer out as the line went dead. Now it's gone dead again but as I never use it anyway, I haven't bothered to get it sorted yet. They have this thing where they threaten to charge you if the engineer shows but the fault is with you. Whilst I'm fairly certain the fault is with them, you are slightly put off getting someone out.

Re the internet. I've never had the speeds advertised and I signed up to 20mb broadband. I've since found out it's been reverted to 4mb for some unknown reason. Again, something on my list to sort when I have a moment.

TV - it's actually been quite good recently but my V+ bust last year taking with it all my saved programmes. A lesson to self to get a DVD recorder so I can save anything important! The upstairs box I have is an old PACE box and pretty rubbish in terms of speed and crash factor. Having said that, it's outlasted the V+ box so maybe it's not a complete pile of rubbish. However, now the remote has stopped working so I have to get out of bed every time I want to change channel :rolleyes:. Another thing to get replaced.

It's probably about time I made that call to Virgin Media to get this stuff sorted :D.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#19 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

OOOPs

Get yourself the HD drive gekko great bit of Kit !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#20 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

I'm afraid I don't even have an HD telly Dazza :blink:. In fact, I still have an old (actually only five year's old) Sony CRT box. It's on my roadmap for this year but is currently amongst a pile of others including audio recording equipment/software, another guitar, DVD recorder, replacing internal doors and repainting the dining room! Fortunately, the recent acquisition of a sofabed and a new mattress have pushed new TV up the list a bit. Audio recording gear should be being sorted this week as it's my birthday on Sunday :). It's a never-ending whirlwind of new stuff to purchase, not all of it a necessity I must admit. Unfortunately, we are trying to tighten our belts at the moment so probably won't be getting most of this sorted for a while. I keep trying to push the new guitar up the list but my other half is resisting as it's of no benefit to her.

Edited by gekko, 17 February 2010 - 12:25 PM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#21 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

I don't even have a telly! I just want good, quick n preferably cheap braodband.

#22 kinchyuk

kinchyuk

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

I don't even have a telly! I just want good, quick n preferably cheap braodband.

I'll leave someone else to say something about using the words 'good' and 'quick' and 'cheap' in the same sentence when you're talking about broadband!

Anyway, Two things to bear in mind with Virgin Media. 1. everything gets cheaper if you take a phone line from them (11/month) - and the prices you'll see banded around on the website and leaflets usually assume you have a VM phone line. Not quite sure why they're still banging the drum about phone lines, I don't know many people who have theirs even plugged in to anything. The mobile generation and all that.. Plus keep an eye on Virgin Media's call charges. They can be more expensive than BT sometimes.

Secondly, if you want a home broadband service for the average user VM are fine - you can't go far wrong with the 10Mbit/s service. It's fast, reliable, and keenly priced. Had the 10Mbit/s service for nearly five months now and can't fault it - only a handful of tiny (< 30 minute) outages at random times like 2am. They'll supply you with a nice wireless router too, which will do the trick for most people (mine is about to go in the bin as I'm working it too hard and it can't keep up - so soon to be replaced with an Airport Extreme or something similar).

#23 kinchyuk

kinchyuk

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

First off, I've had problems with my phoneline ever since installation. The quality of the line has never been very good with lots of crackling. Within a few months I had to get the engineer out as the line went dead. Now it's gone dead again but as I never use it anyway, I haven't bothered to get it sorted yet. They have this thing where they threaten to charge you if the engineer shows but the fault is with you. Whilst I'm fairly certain the fault is with them, you are slightly put off getting someone out.

Find the Virgin 'master socket', get a cheap corded (not cordless!) phone that you know works, and plug it in. If it's dead, then it's their fault. That small print is usually to cover the possibility of customers doing their own internal DIY wiring and then complaining when it all falls to bits.

Re the internet. I've never had the speeds advertised and I signed up to 20mb broadband. I've since found out it's been reverted to 4mb for some unknown reason. Again, something on my list to sort when I have a moment.

4Mbit/s throughput sounds a bit strange - is this all the time or just peak? If you download quite a bit on your connection you could be hitting traffic management which'll reduce your download speed to 25% - so 5Mbit/s. Are you wired or wireless? If it's the latter, try going wired and seeing how you get on. Could be a few other things but worth checking this first.

TV - it's actually been quite good recently but my V+ bust last year taking with it all my saved programmes. A lesson to self to get a DVD recorder so I can save anything important! The upstairs box I have is an old PACE box and pretty rubbish in terms of speed and crash factor. Having said that, it's outlasted the V+ box so maybe it's not a complete pile of rubbish. However, now the remote has stopped working so I have to get out of bed every time I want to change channel :rolleyes:. Another thing to get replaced.

Seriously Mel, you must have the patience of a saint :) I'd be fuming at VM if all this had gone wrong.. Have you tried the Ecomplaints team?

#24 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Kinchy. Yes, I must get onto them as it's all pretty shoddy. I guess that I never use the landline and we mainly watch the BBC News on the upstairs telly so don't need to change channel much. I've just got used to it all! Re the broadband speed, I know I've been knocked down to 4mb because I noticed it on my bill so it's an official thing rather than a speed drop.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#25 kinchyuk

kinchyuk

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Re the broadband speed, I know I've been knocked down to 4mb because I noticed it on my bill so it's an official thing rather than a speed drop.

It's on the bill? How bizarre - not to mention confusing, as there isn't a 4Mbit/s service anymore (everyone got upgraded to 10Mbit/s automatically a few years back).

Their billing system can be utterly shocking though, so anything's possible. If your speed issues and this strange change to a 4Mbit/s service on the bill are related (again, anything is possible!) then I'd love to know how they managed to break it so badly.

Edited by kinchyuk, 17 February 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#26 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

I'll leave someone else to say something about using the words 'good' and 'quick' and 'cheap' in the same sentence when you're talking about broadband!

One can only dream.

Thanks for the info though, we would be using our phone line as one of us still refuses to join the mobile generation. Grrr.

#27 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

If you are on the XL package for phone, you get unlimited calls included in the price I think. Not sure what the current rate for that is though.

Re their billing, it's actually got better. When I first joined, I couldn't make head nor tail of it as I used to get billed separately for one of the packages so had two bills a month. This was an NTL legacy thing apparently.

I've filled in their email form to get the broadband changed back so hopefully that gets actioned. Phone will of course require an engineer so maybe next week for that one. I'm trying to get organised now!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#28 Bryher

Bryher

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

I'm with Virgin but have had a few problems so thought I'd counter-balance the good reviews.

It's probably about time I made that call to Virgin Media to get this stuff sorted :D.

You lucky things - I live in a cul de sac and Virgin didn't install the cable and despite requests they won't put it in . The reason I say lucky thing is that Virgin have just done a deal with an American company called TiVo. They make the best hard disc recorders - miles better than Sky Plus. In the USA "TiVo" is, like Google, in the language. You can hear people say " I TiVoed that programme". They came over here ten years ago briefly, and I have one of their boxes which is brilliant but getting rather creaky. I would LOVE to be able to get the new version on Virgin.

#29 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

Yes, I saw the news about TiVo. It sounds promising and hopefully will be an improvement on the boxes most Virgin users currently have.

Having said that, I think it's just one of the potentially exciting developments in the TV/STB space. Through my job, I'm doing a lot of work in this area at the moment, especially around tech partnerships and I think that things might actually start to look interesting on the connectivity front in the next 12 months or so.

To my mind, the lack of competition in the cable/satellite arena over the years has produced substandard services with channels full of junk, bad usability on devices and poor customer service. Freeview has cleaned up with the low end users and now, with decent IPTV services on the horizon, other companies are threatening to claim the high end market. If your TV set supports YouTube streaming, film downloads from Amazon or Lovefilm say and can access media from your PC, why would you need Virgin or Sky. It seems to me that other than the sport, they don't have much of a hold on the UK public anymore. With the continuing legal discussions about sport broadcasting and packaging, they should be scared. No wonder Virgin are partnering with TiVo. They seriously need to get back in the game.

My purchases for this year will hopefully be a PS3 (for Blu-Ray, DVD, shared media etc.) and one of the new Sony TVs. Will I need Virgin Media 12 months from now? <_<
Mel, Forum Moderator