• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Heather

Heather

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

There is a very good shop over in Tooting called Freezeland, however when I got there today they were shut for some reason. Slightly irritated I ventured in to Lidl which is next door. I was impressed; clean, tidy and plenty of goodies on offer. I filled a basket and carried a few extra bits went through the till, bagged it all up and presented my credit card. "we don't take credit cards, only debit cards". I had no idea. I had no cash. I had no debit card with me. I had to leave the lot :angry: .
Needless to say I ended up in Sainsburys at Streatham and filled the trolley with cakes.

#2 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

That's so frustrating when it happens. Has happened to me when I've a basketful of stuff. I'm not really a cash person being so use to my cards.
Marks and Spencers used to be the same didn't it? But I think they changed many years ago.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#3 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:11 AM

Both Aldi and Lidl don't accept Credit cards. Now you know and it shouldn't hold you back from using them again. I quite like the little Lidl in Penge for the main stock of groceries. For other bits I have got the Penge Food Center and Sainsbury just across.....
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#4 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

I can see it must have been frustrating, but how many people carry a credit card but not a debit card?

#5 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

Me. Am I alone?

#6 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

Just because someone wants to use their credit card doesn't mean they don't have their debit card with them? Maybe there wasnt enough money in their bank a/c, or they have 0% interest on purchases, and/or get cashback etc :huh:

They could always charge a credit card transaction fee like Ikea... which is also very annoying!
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#7 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:03 PM

If Lidl and Aldi do decide to accept credit cards there's an interesting consumer right you might find handy to know...

http://www.summarybo...edit-card.shtml

as per both the MasterCard and Visa merchant agreements, a participating merchant must accept that credit card (assuming it is valid and approved) for all purchases. The merchant cannot, by policy or practice, decide which transactions it will allow and which it will not.

This means that whether you are buying a single grape, or a new car, if the retailer discloses that they accept a credit card then they must accept it for any transaction, regardless of amount.

If you are aware of this and negotiate a store-finance price for a large ticket item you may be able to chuck your card on the table at the last minute and insist on your own source of finance, benefiting from cashback bonuses and depriving the retailer of their own often lucrative commissions.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#8 workman

workman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:54 PM

If you are aware of this and negotiate a store-finance price for a large ticket item you may be able to chuck your card on the table at the last minute and insist on your own source of finance, benefiting from cashback bonuses and depriving the retailer of their own often lucrative commissions.

Nice James... Let's replace "their own often lucrative commissions" with "earning a living" since that is what a retailer does or else we'd just all purchase directly from the manufacturer.

Seriously, I'm all for consumer empowerment, being able to get the best deal you can and shopping locally, but let's not forget that the role of the retailer is to re-sell items bought from the manufacturer at a profit to cover things like the lease on the shop and bills and staff and tax... and hopefully make some money on the end. The ones charging over the top usually get found out and the consumer will desert in search of a better (and fairer) price. No need for you willfully try to deprive someone of earning a living. That perceived "lucrative commission" might just make up the whole of their take home pay.

#9 twill

twill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

Most stores diplay what cards they accept ( useually at the entrance ) . Thus saving any embarresment. Is this not the case with these two shops ?

#10 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

Workman, I'm not suggesting that retailers be deprived of their income but it is a well known fact that in-store finance arrangements are often very expensive compared to other forms of finance, and few people are aware they have a choice - the income for the retailer should be sufficient in the price of the product. Besides, I'm only pointing out something that the retailer agreed in their card merchant terms. There's a price for the product and a price for the finance. Or are you suggesting that if instead we paid cash for the items they'd go out of business?

European.vote - EU Referendum

#11 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

That's an interesting point that James makes (as always) which reminds me. Did you know it is illegal to buy a car more then a decade old in this country on finance, but not to get a loan and spend it on a car that is a classic! I only found this out when I went to pay for a car at an auction on my credit card and was told why they wouldn't take it. Makes you wonder where that law James mentioned then stands.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#12 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

Most people who are on benefit/low income etc don't have the privilege of debit/credit cards. They shop at Lidl/Aldi cos its cheap. Lidl/Aldi obviously like that and cater for those with cash in hand and it also keeps their costs down. So don't moan.

#13 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

I am glad Trixie just brought up that many people in this country dont have access to credit cards.

When you buy something with a credit card there is an extra cost added to the purchase. Most shops just pass these costs onto the overall price of the goods.
So the person behind you paying in cash is having to subsidise your credit card purchase, and that isn't fair if they're on a limited income.

#14 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Most people who are on benefit/low income etc don't have the privilege of debit/credit cards. They shop at Lidl/Aldi cos its cheap. Lidl/Aldi obviously like that and cater for those with cash in hand and it also keeps their costs down. So don't moan.

You can use your debit card at Lidl.

#15 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

It is quite unusual to have a credit card but not a debit card however it can happen - but I believe it is more like a small exception rather than the rule. I think Lidl have to keep prices low and so avoid any extra costs + probably they have analysed their consumer base and use of credit cards and decided it was more cost effective for them to scrap them off from acceptable method of payment
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!