Photo

Thank you to the person who left their travel card....

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

I'd just like to say thank you to the thoughtful person who left their travel card tucked into the ticked machine last Friday evening.. It was appreciated and well used!!
www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#2 Green Man

Green Man

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

You must realize that these tickets aren't transferable. What you have done is called stealing - just as bad as nicking a bagful of pic'n'mix from Woolies.

#3 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Oh, good grief... :rolleyes:

#4 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

blimey - ermmmm yeah - I suppose technically its illegal but its not exactly the crime of the century is it? - its nice to get away without paying once in a while, especially when you have paid your fare on numerous previous occassions only to be buggered about by delays and cancellations etc - not sure that ithe story ts that newsworthy though!

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

Call me rebellious but I see it as a good deed. Whilst I realise that my argument wouldn't stand up in a court of law, for me, it's not so much about the money but the sharing of goodwill. The train companies make us suffer on a daily basis with their late, cancelled and overcrowded trains and constant price hikes for which we see very little in the way of return. The odd act of humanity between fellow passengers isn't going to have much financial impact but can put a smile on a few faces. I feel differently about deliberate fare evaders and people who harrangue you for your ticket at tube stations but I've given my travelcard away at the end of the night and I've handed my used car park ticket to someone just arriving and I still sleep easy at night B) . I did also steal the odd pick 'n' mix in my formative years as well though so maybe my morals are just shot.

I wonder if I'll need to moderate myself now for condoning an illegal act.

Disclaimer - don't steal, it sucks and is of course illegal.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:10 PM

you mean you're supposed to pay for Pick'n Mix?..... :rolleyes:

#7 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

Everything Gekko said. Except I never stole pick 'n mix. Shame on you! :-p
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

Got to check they don't taste foul before committing your pocket money. Wouldn't want to end up with a bag of sweets that all tasted like Parma Violets :( .

I never stole a whole bag, just the odd one as I was passing by on my way to the records. The only other thing I ever stole in my life was a bag of crisps from a display outside a shop on the pier at Llandudno. I was 14 and did it as a dare. Phew...I've owned up and now my conscience is clear!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

And you probably halved the annual turnover of the whole town. It's hardly wealthy round there...
Nick, Forum Moderator

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

I bet you wont be able to sleep tonite with that info JB.
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#11 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

Call me rebellious but I see it as a good deed.

Well said! Although I can't recall ever having stolen anything in my life (not even some pic'n'mix) I have been the grateful recipient of a half-used car park ticket and would probably have taken advantage of the ticket left in the machine, if I didn't have a Freedom pass of my own. Surely that's just recycling? <_<
aka Pie

#12 grahamb

grahamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

Back ithe days when I used to buy travelcards (i.e. before the advent of Oyster) I woudl always try and give away a travelcard if I was sure I didn't need it. Its amazing how many people would say no because they assume there's either something dodgy or you're going to ask them for money.

I'm all for it.

#13 Green Man

Green Man

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

Well said! Although I can't recall ever having stolen anything in my life (not even some pic'n'mix) I have been the grateful recipient of a half-used car park ticket and would probably have taken advantage of the ticket left in the machine, if I didn't have a Freedom pass of my own. Surely that's just recycling? <_<

So you obey the laws you believe in, but not the ones you don't? Hmm.

#14 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

By the way, are you sure a Travel Card isn't transferable? It doesn't have a name on it and it doesn't mention anything about NOT being transferable on it either. It only says you're not allowed to resell it, it doesn't mention transferring. I almost never use Travel Cards, so it never crossed my mind, but I would have been sure to do the right thing, and not being illegal, by using my husbands Travel Card if he doesn't need it anymore for the day. I can give my Oyster Card to who ever I want without being illegal, why not the Travel Card?

... and by the way, I don't nick Mick'nMix either, I would have to explain my actions to my daughter (the Pick and mix - addict in the family) and that would be really difficult...

#15 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

giving someone a travelcard/ leaving a used but valid travel card for someone to use or giving someone a car parking ticket with time left on it is a random act of kindness. It makes people happy -we need more of it -Peace and love.