Photo

Thank you to the person who left their travel card....

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

I can't even believe we are STILL discussing, if giving a used travel card to somebody is illegal or 'immoral' ....... Green Man, if that's your only worry in this world, can we swap??

have a nice day , or, what's left of it

palacegirl.... :)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#32 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

What I suggest Green Man, is you set up a "Random Acts of Kindness" hotline so we can grass up any kind generous spirited person and you can deal with them appropriately. Maybe a public flogging or the stocks?

#33 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

good one green man its usually my job or COYI to evoke these ort of responses like that I salute you. however thre only crooks in this scenario r the transport providers who charge the inflated prices to travel on their poor services !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#34 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

Can Green Man tell us how much thieving TFL et al do when they fail several times almost daily to provide the advertised service paid for?! Maybe then I'd give a hoot.

#35 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

Green Man...please tell me you are on a wind up!! <....> An 'All day travelcard' is just that. The numbers men at TFL,LU etc factor that into their pricing of this ticket..ALL DAY. Theft it is not. As previous have said, we feel that once a good service is provided, then maybe you could say it is out of order, but even then i dont think it is wrong. I'd rather someone travel with a ticket than the usual jumpers we see every day. Why dont you take them to task eh? no i bet you dont. Stick behind your keyboard and slate someone who has had the fortune to receive a travelcard.

Thanks for the recognition Dazza!

Edited by Nick, 14 December 2008 - 08:40 PM.
Keeping the wording a little more polite

#36 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Green Man appears to have deleted his posts - coming to this late, I can see only that he has been quoted! Does that mean you have been persuaded otherwise, GM?!

#37 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

The deleted posts are back to allow context in the thread, plus I've moved the thread to The Tavern.

I think that there is some merit in what Green Man is saying. Lets not give him such a hard time. If someone was to present me with the facts about how much TfL lose, or how much extra I end up paying on my ticket because of it, then I may be on the other end of the argument. But I just can't see it being that much.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#38 Sedgley Warrior

Sedgley Warrior

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

A great debate, and having read through all the posts, I have to say that Green Man's argument certainly remains rock solid. So while Green Man's position is wholly justifiable and the opposing argument is simply based on whimsy, I have to say that if we all stuck to all the rules, all of the time, we would most certainly be living in a very dull and regimented metropolis. God forbid, there'll be cameras following our every move next…

#39 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

So you obey the laws you believe in, but not the ones you don't? Hmm.

Not that I'm aware of, but then I'm not perfect. Everyone has to make their own moral judgement in this type of scenario. The travelcard had already been paid for. Suppose someone bought a ticket, decided not to travel then handed it to me as a gift? What that also be theft? How about picking up a fiver off the pavement?

Actually I feel sorry for the original purchaser of the ticket, who may have had to pay a fine at the other end.
aka Pie

#40 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

Well, I never guessed this would turn into such a debate. I understand what Green Man is saying but I do think there should be some leeway. I use the train about once a week from Crystal Palace and only once has it ever been on time. My sister commutes daily, rarely getting a seat.. Can TFL really be affected by this? Surely one person continuing to use a travel card that the purchaser is no longer using has no effect, the purchaser could have, if he/she wanted used the card non-stop all day, there is still only one person using the system. I guess the person who left their travel card for someone else to use doesn't do this often, as I am sure they would have some kind of season ticket if they were a frequent commuter. So is it really worth getting so worked up over something obviously quite innocent?

So OK, It's illegal, but I also leave parking tickets stuck on ticket machines for people, or hand them over if I see someone parking. If councils really were worried about this then they should use machines that give change, so I wouldn't have to pay for time I don't need.

I give blood, I'm on the bone marrow donor list and I often smile at people I don't know ;) - I think I'm allowed to do something a bit bad.. I didn't know it was illegal, but I would do it again!

Edited by J B, 16 December 2008 - 02:51 PM.

www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#41 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

I suppose you'd also turn down a valid pay and display ticket if someone leaving the car park offered it to you. Yes, I know it's technically theft, but are you telling me that if you handed a £20 note into a police station they wouldn't use it down the pub that night?
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#42 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

A great debate, and having read through all the posts, I have to say that Green Man's argument certainly remains rock solid. So while Green Man's position is wholly justifiable and the opposing argument is simply based on whimsy, I have to say that if we all stuck to all the rules, all of the time, we would most certainly be living in a very dull and regimented metropolis. God forbid, there'll be cameras following our every move next…

This post contradicts itself.

Anyway, I hope Green Man continues to post but it seems s/he's gone quiet. I think the thread got a bit silly. TFL thieves travel services passengers have paid for, passengers thieve travel time by passing on travelcards. Who cares? Next.

#43 Sedgley Warrior

Sedgley Warrior

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:01 AM

This post contradicts itself.

Pourquoi?

Perhaps I need to spell my opinion out more clearly - I agree with Green Man's point-of-view (ie he is strictly correct), yet I think that it is a point of view that lacks any sense of humanity or margin for error. In the same way I might agree that a point of law is strictly, by-the-book, correct, and yet find that point of law way too inflexible, not allowing for other circumstances to be taken into consideration.

Please let me know if this is still unclear, and maybe expand on your remark a little…

Edited by Sedgley Warrior, 17 December 2008 - 09:12 AM.

#44 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

No need, I get you.

Have it in my head, though, that TfL printing "non transferable" on its tickets is a bit like buying a string of sausages and the butcher sticking a label on that says because I bought them, only I may eat them, ie no sharing with Mr Spoon.

#45 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

Whilst I think its nice to "get away with it" now and again (see my prev post on this matter) am not sure the sausage argument stands; Once youve paid for the sausages the butcher doesnt care what you do with them, unless you use them to dent his business by giving them to another potential customer (Mr Spoon?) , which is what essentially passing around used travelcards does to the rail operator. Their ticket pricing is based on an assumed income against cost and allowance for profit (yeah I know -that grates with me too) - so taking it to an extreme if everyone was doing the switcheroo (cheers Boris!) we would have more expensive ticket prices for those that buy them and free travel for those who wait for the hand-me-downs - which isnt really that fair. But as it is at the moment - I cant see it really harming anyone's pocket to any noticeable extent