Photo

Thank you to the person who left their travel card....

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

:) Is it denting the butcher's business if I give Mr Spoon some sausages? What if Mr Spoon wasn't going to buy any, I just offered him some of mine and he accepted?

This stands in the sense that a person was going to get a cab until they saw the travelcard someone had left and as a result they used public transport. TfL doesn't lose because at any given time, only one person is travelling on that card, which is what they sold it for.

#47 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Think thats my point - Mr Spoon is probably not going to buy any sausages - but someone who uses a passed on travelcard is almost definitely likely to have otherwise bought a ticket - therefore a travelcard passed on is denying the rail companies missed revenue.

The cab scenario is different because it doesnt deny the rail companies revenue because the customer wasnt going to pay them anything originally - they just jumped on a freebie!

#48 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

Lets not kid yourselves the railways are losing 100,000s of pounds to people who do not travel with a pass. The occasional recycled ticket is the least of their problem if they are that worried they should make the tickets unique to the customer at point of sale.

I would happily recycle my ticket to a fellow traveller I couldnt give a sausage if its illegal or not ! They will probably make sharing a cab with a total stranger ilegal next !!!

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#49 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

Ooh! Tenuous, ChewderOde! The ticket is still running - the revenue is there but the service sold wasn't being used by the customer. And then it was, albeit by a different person. Same possible journey. No loss. Same revenue.

Dazza, you couldn't give a sausage?! At this rate, you won't be able to!

#50 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

Hey. if you look at my previous posts on this you will see I am not taking a stalinist approach to ticket sales, I have used travelcards passed to me and would probably do so again - it can feel like a bit of redemption for all of teh let downs misinformation delays and cancellations - so am not "kidding myself" about the railways - I'd rather see them nationalised and remove the vacuum of funds funnelled to shareholders like it was yesterday - I am talking about the principle and the fact that the pricing structure is geared around a travelcard being designed ostensibly for the use of one person and not to be the lingua franca of the day for anyone who can get hold of it. If someone uses a handed over travelcard instead of them buying a ticket that is a loss to the rail operators in my book and not the same revenue

If 10 people go to a party but the 11th doesnt bring any beer, the 10 people who brought the beer have less to drink if its shared around

Ooohh - Ive gone all Daily Mail!

#51 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Oh, CO. I rest my case. ;)