31 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

I woke up at 2am the night before last.

This morning, I dreamt I had a job interview, got the job, and woke up at 5am with a start. :blink:

On both occasions I couldn't get back to sleep!

Has anyone else been suffering from sleep deprivation? I'm sure it's all to do with the lack of sunlight, the seasonal stresses, the credit crunch and the myriad of flu and cold bugs that are doing the rounds.

Hopefully it's not the beginning of a trend. I've already decided to go on a health kick in January to sort myself out.

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

I frequently have this problem and when it starts it can last for weeks. I always wake at two or three and cannot sleep until about five or six. It drives me nuts and I find it hard to stop my brain whirring once I am awake. The only solution that works properly for me is addressing the stresses that cause the insomnia in the first place but sadly it's not usually that easy. I've not slept well for four nights now and am starting to get pretty fed up!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

Woke up at 6.00am on Christmas Day. Merry Christmas, everyone.

I've used sleeping tablets in the past, but sadly they're not the answer.

One quite good herbal remedy is Kalms Night. I pop three before bed and if I do wake up, I sometimes doze off again.

For me, I usually wake up at 3am, precisely. Always gives me the creeps as I saw in some horror movie that 3am is the Devil's hour. :ph34r:

#4 OurPippin

OurPippin

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

The devil's hour... Well that sounds positively scary. I do know what you mean with lack of sleep though. I wake at 5:00 most days (including today - Christmas). Sometimes during a working week I wake at 4 or earlier. Occasionally on a Sunday night before a stressy Monday, I can't get to sleep at all. What to do? I'm afraid the answers are the usual ones: get exercise, de-clutter your life, don't take sleeping pills (although I agree that sometimes these can act as an emergency measure), don't drink too much or too late - you've heard it all before! I do think as we get older we need less sleep though....

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:19 AM

I haven't tried Kalms but have used Peaceful Night with mixed results. I've never used sleeping pills and don't want to go down that route. Have a had a couple of good nights' sleep now so feeling a bit better :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

I slept fine all weekend until last night. It must have been that Sunday before work feeling, magnified by all this Christmas malarkey. I think I woke up every hour, on the hour.

I'm now thinking of buying one of those memory foam mattresses. I wonder if my current mattress is too hard. I suffer from back pains and went for a very solid orthopaedic one, but I understand that the current thinking is that hard mattresses aren't necessarily the best for a bad back.

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

That's interesting - we were thinking of going for a firm pocket-sprung mattress. I tried a memory foam one in the shop but it just felt too weird. I got the feeling I could put my back out just getting up from it because once it had molded it had no give. Other people seem to swear by them though.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

Kurt, Gekko

I did myself a favour about two years ago and splashed out on a very expensive memory foam mattress, I had been operated on my back twice

in a very short period of time and was starting to give up with the pain and all. It was pointed out in my last reha how good they were and I thought

try it and see, I gave away my brand new (very hard) sprung mattress and I am not kidding you I sleep like a little kitten every night now. No

sleeping tablets no night all, nothing just pure plain sleep. They do feel a little strange at first it's a bit like trying to sleep in warm wet sand ( for

those of you who know how that feels - Mafia maybe? ) but I soon got used to it.

This probably reads like an advertisement but it isn't I have no vested interest in any bedding company or shares in pyjama making firms.

Just thought I'd let you know before you wasted any money.

#9 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Just thought I'd let you know before you wasted any money.

Thanks! I'm definitely thinking of getting one now. Just have to sell the idea to the other half, who will also get to experience the warm sand feeling.

#10 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:56 AM

Woke up at half five this morning. Very annoying for a Saturday! Started worrying about a minor plumbing issue we need to sort and couldn't get back to sleep. Agghhh...
Mel, Forum Moderator

#11 OurPippin

OurPippin

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

My body clock does me the favour of getting me up at 5.30 most days - but especially in the weekends. Sleeping in? Hah! That luxury has been denied me for a long while now... I don't mind too much anymore: it makes the day Looooooong and you can do lots of things! ;)

#12 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

Pillow-mist by Champneys from Sainsbury's - goodbye restless nights....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#13 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

Kurt and Gekko,

It might be worth checking out your 'sleep hygiene' (no, not how often you change your sheets...) I work in mental health and lots of patients have trouble sleeping, too. So here are some of the suggestions we give out:

If you're lying awake for more than 20 minutes, get up and do something soothing until you feel sleepy again. One of the worst things you can do is toss and turn.

Associate bed with sleep only. So don't read in bed, watch TV or eat there. But yeah, that other thing is still O.K. ;)

Likewise, try and minimise distractions in your bedroom (are there bright lights outside that come on at a certain time and wake you? noises?)

Make sure your bedroom's not too hot or too cold.

If you find you're worrying about specific things through the night, set aside a time during the day to address your concerns. Being able to reassure yourself that things are in hand and will be dealt with in daylight is much better than trying to figure out solutions in the middle of the night.

Check you're not drinking too much caffeine before bed. Even hot chocolate is a stimulant. If you want something soothing have hot milk instead.

Similarly food. Sometimes our blood sugar can drop in the middle of the night and this wakes some people up. So a small snack late evening might help. But equally, don't eat anything too substantial (or stimulating) before sleep as your body will be more interested in digestion than sleep.

If you exercise (and getting good exercise will help sleep) make sure you're not doing so later in the evening. Give your body time to relax before bed.

I've also found from personal experience that limiting my TV and computer use in the evening (say, no internet after 10 pm) helps, too.

Good luck - insomnia is awful!

#14 Heather

Heather

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:42 PM

I could lend you the kids; I've been totally free of insomnia since I had them :yawn:

#15 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for all those tips, Tealight. And for your offer, Heather.

The most useful tip I think is to avoid staying in bed, tossing and turning, if you're not sleepy. I agree completely that it's better to get up and do something else.

I wasn't too bad over the weekend - up at 7am on Saturday and Sunday, which beats 6am or 3am. I'm not drinking this month and I'm sure my sleep has improved as a result.