• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

Awful night's sleep last night, think I'm going insane. I probably should get up as suggested but I don't know what I'd do as I'm too groggy to read or watch rubbish TV but on the other hand I can't get back to sleep. Hopefully, will sleep tonight though as feel like death today.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#17 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Sorry to hear that, Gekko. Try 3 Night Kalms before bed, and if you wake up again, take a few more.

Are you getting some walking or exercise in during the day? I find that it's helping me to sleep better.

#18 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

Hello
I'm lucky in that I only suffer from insomnia when I break through the "anxiety barrier" - that is if things are getting on top of me, especially at work, I can't sleep for brain whirring. Usually it only lasts a few days or for the duration of the project - when I'm approaching a big deadline.
Definetly a new mattress is a great investment - and something that Gekko knows has to happen (!!). Also - I have started exercising and I'm seeing results physically and importantly, mentally. I sleep better and get things into perspective much more.
But I have also heard that its a good idea to keep a pad and paper by your bed. If an issue is getting to you during the night, write it down on the pad and resolve to address it the next day rather than dissect it through the night. It's a psychological way of telling yourself you will "park" the issue until you are in a clear frame of mind and thus allows you to let it go for now.
Years ago I worked nightshift for 18 months and would take a Kalm before getting to bed at 9am. It often felt odd that I had to get a "full day's sleep" before I got up for the nightshift as its easy to watch TV, doze, and not take getting proper sleep seriously. But I had another little mental trick that I played, and imagined everyone out there working while I was curled up in bed and in my own private "world". It might help to imagine all the people out there doing nightshift, and having to work - while you are lucky you are tucked up in bed! You never know - it might just work........

#19 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

I agree. When I was a teenager and essay deadlines were keeping me up working, etc, I would eventually find a cut-off point and go to bed. Would initially think I should get up and carry on then tell myself "you have to sleep" - if you don't do it, you will fall asleep/fall ill then fall asleep in the end anyway. So just get comfy and think how your body has to sleep and there is nothing you can do about it and it's great you have the "excuse" to lie there and do nothing because it's the natural law. Yay.

I always was an old head on young shoulders but I still use this thought. I stand by my younger self!

#20 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

I must say my quality of sleep has greatly improved these last few weeks. What a relief!

The following factors must be contributing:

(1) No alcohol since Dec 31st.

(2) Reading in bed until my eyes fall shut - I know it's against most advice, but I think it's best to sleep only when tired.

(3) Getting up early every day (between 6-7am during the week, 7.30 in the weekend) - keeps body clock aligned.

(4) Not thinking about work related stuff in the evenings.

(5) Making sure I walk for a couple of miles every day.

I hope it lasts.

Edited by Kurt, 16 January 2009 - 09:36 AM.

#21 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

I am a very light sleep and have a partner who snores. Often not even very loud snores, but just loud enough to stop me dropping off. I can't even have a clock in the room as the ticking of it drives me insane. I have ear plugs but they're not very comfortable, and when I wear them, I can hear my heart beating away... aaargh!! Despite all that, I normally sleep okay. If I don't, the following day I don't have any caffeine, and stay up later than normal to ensure I'm proper tired, then go to bed. Normally works for me.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#22 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

I stopped wearing earplugs as I wanted to be able to hear any sinister noises. Mind you, now that I've got two German Shepherds (who I can trust to tear any intruders to shreds or at least make a lot of noise) I can probably afford to put them back in. My partner snores too.

#23 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

I think we all snore sometimes! I occasionally suffer from insomnia and always try to read a chapter or two before settling down which seems to help me get off. If that doesn't work I put Radio 4 (World Service late at night) on very quietly so I can barely hear it - the sound is quite soothing and relaxing, and seems to stop me thinking about other stuff. My other half then has to sleep next door though!
aka Pie

#24 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

I am convinced that I don't snore! Being such a light sleeper, I'd wake myself up! :lol:
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#25 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

An old friend of mine, who happened to be my family doctor also, told me that more relationships are broken up becouse of snoring or bad breath than anything else she knows, I don't know if that's a fact but she could not suggest a remedy for either.

Edited by Anthony, 20 January 2009 - 01:45 PM.

#26 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

I think we all snore sometimes! I occasionally suffer from insomnia and always try to read a chapter or two before settling down which seems to help me get off. If that doesn't work I put Radio 4 (World Service late at night) on very quietly so I can barely hear it - the sound is quite soothing and relaxing, and seems to stop me thinking about other stuff. My other half then has to sleep next door though!

Have been struggling with getting to sleep now for the past few months and just happened upon this thread - some useful tips which I will try out. I used to be in the World Service camp - I found it very reassuring but not an option now. Reading in bed always used to be a fall back position but problems with eyes and light/contrast makes it difficult to focus.

#27 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

I hadn't seen this thread before either. As an insomniac of many years, I've developed a couple of coping mechanisms. Here's a few things that help me; I don't, by the way, get on with sleeping pills of any shade:-
  • no caffeine after lunchtime, not even tea
  • no alcohol after 8pm on a school night, assuming 11pm bedtime
  • watch the early news, not the 10pm one
  • keep the bedroom just warm enough, but not hot
  • make your bed as comfy as is humanly possibly; for us that means a massive queen size one from Warren Evans - pocket sprung, natch - with a fairly firm mattress, a mattress topper, and the best bed linen you can afford
My insomnia manifests itself as the 'getting off to sleep quite quickly, but waking up 2 and a half hours later' type, 5 nights in 7. Then, most important thing is to not let it stress you out. Lying awake at 3:13am, being stressed about how well you're going to do that presentation at work next day will just make it worse. If I'm irretrievably awake, I usually get up, make a milky, non caffeinated, drink, and head for the spare room with laptop and/or novel for a few hours, then come back to bed, and I usually - usually - get back to sleep in time for an hour, maybe even 2 before the alarm goes off at 7. There is one other thing I do to destress too during those wide awake times in the wee hours, but it would be indelicate of me to describe it.

Of course, with this massive sinusitis/chest infection I have at the moment, all bets are off, I've had about 2 hours a night since last Friday night, and the occasional light doze during the day...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#28 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

I listen to audiobooks on my ipod at a very low volume. I set a timer on it so it switches off after max 45 min, however, I think that I am probably asleep after 15min..... works for me everytime...
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#29 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

I like to relax in a hot bath with essential oils and candles surrounding - read the bible for 20 mins whilst sipping camomile tea and listening to light classical music - meditate for 15 minutes - practise yoga for 10 - then have stellar steamy sex for 2 hours - sends me off no problem!

#30 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

ha ha ha ....
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....