Photo

The Exhibition Rooms Bar

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: The Exhibition Rooms (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this bar?

1. Excellent (12 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Good (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. Average (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Poor (5 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Exhibition Rooms
69-71 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1TX

Open Monday to Friday 9am-12am (midnight)
Open Saturday 9am-1am
Open Sunday 9am-11pm

Web: www.theexhibitionrooms.com
Email: info@theexhibitionrooms.com
Phone: 0871 811 1428

Note: There is a review thread for The Exhibitions Rooms' restaurant here. Please comment in that thread if your review is restaurant related (or here if it is pub related).

Edited by Summit Lover, 21 August 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#2 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

When you say 'pub' - you mean the bar downstairs at the exhibition rooms or am I missing the point??

Edited by Nick, 11 May 2009 - 11:27 PM.

..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#3 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hi - it is the bar downstairs we're talking about.
Nick, Forum Moderator

#4 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

This bar is what I call the 'missing link' in Crystal Palace.... I am not a pub person but do like my cocktails.... I went there with a friend on Sunday eve for YUMMY Raspberry Caiporoska - they have got a cocktail happy hour on sunday's from 6-8

It's stylish, it's funky - just what I was waiting for

:rolleyes:

... palacegirl

#5 Mrs D

Mrs D

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

Excellent bar, funky decor and even a little bit of outside space. They seem to do happy hour 6-8 midweek as well. Excellent cocktails.

#6 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

Excellent bar, funky decor and even a little bit of outside space. They seem to do happy hour 6-8 midweek as well. Excellent cocktails.

does anybody know if they still do the happy hour from 6-8?

cheers

....palacegirl

#7 monkeyjoe

monkeyjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

I went here last night for the 2-for-1 cocktails(not to eat) and was a little disappointed. Although the cocktails were quite nice (although the butterscotch martini was far too alcoholic, it tasted like neat rum) the service was pretty dire. There was only 1 barman serving downstairs and as the place was packed out by 7.30pm, we had to wait ages to be served our second round of drinks. I had to request my glass of wine off him 3 times and it took over 20 minutes to arrive.
I'll give it another go to see if we just had an unlucky night.
MonkeyJoe
Moove2London

#8 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

I went here last night for the 2-for-1 cocktails(not to eat) and was a little disappointed. Although the cocktails were quite nice (although the butterscotch martini was far too alcoholic, it tasted like neat rum) the service was pretty dire. There was only 1 barman serving downstairs and as the place was packed out by 7.30pm, we had to wait ages to be served our second round of drinks. I had to request my glass of wine off him 3 times and it took over 20 minutes to arrive.
I'll give it another go to see if we just had an unlucky night.

Yikes! :o The first time I have heard someone complain about a cocktail being too alcoholic! Most complaints I have heard over the years is that cocktails are full of cheap juices and lemonade and lacking any decent alcohol level :P That is one of the reasons that I like the ER cocktails - maybe a little too much :unsure:

I thought a butterscotch martini was pretty much vodka and butterscotch schnapps and nothing else, so will tend to be pretty alcoholic. Why not try a longer drink - ER do a very good Singapore Sling.

I agree that it can get quite busy during happy hour - when we go we aim to get there just before 6 and get our orders in early.

#9 monkeyjoe

monkeyjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

Yikes! :o The first time I have heard someone complain about a cocktail being too alcoholic! Most complaints I have heard over the years is that cocktails are full of cheap juices and lemonade and lacking any decent alcohol level :P That is one of the reasons that I like the ER cocktails - maybe a little too much :unsure:

I thought a butterscotch martini was pretty much vodka and butterscotch schnapps and nothing else, so will tend to be pretty alcoholic. Why not try a longer drink - ER do a very good Singapore Sling.

I agree that it can get quite busy during happy hour - when we go we aim to get there just before 6 and get our orders in early.

Ok, ok, I've been back a couple of times since, so it turns out I must have secretly liked it after all! I seem to be a huge fan of the Victoria Secret cocktail now, featuring violet liqueur and champagne - it tastes like alcoholic Parma Violets. Also, this time we took off our shoes and climbed into the cave, which was great fun. I still think the service is too slow, it verges on appalling, even when there's not that many people in there. But I suppose that's the nature of making cocktails - it takes time!
MonkeyJoe
Moove2London

#10 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

Have to say I have fallen out of love with the ER downstairs bar. The chairs are beginning to look grubby and tatty and the place often feels overly chilly and gloomy. To make matters worse the great eastern european cocktail waiter has long gone and the 6-8 happy hour only consists of 6 rather basic cocktails from the extensive menu. We tried a Raspberry Margarita (normally my absolute favourite) but instead of being sharp with limes and deliciously alcoholic it was bland, warm, sweet and seemed to have virtually no alcohol at all. Added to that the guy significantly overcharged us last time we were there. Unfortunately - unless they revert to their previous high standards - we won't be back.

Sill love the restaurant though! :hugkiss:

#11 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

The cocktail menu has been cut back a bit - sadly my favourite has gone from the list :(

#12 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'm sure if you ask the bar man he will make it anyway :) .

#13 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

I tried that MissP, but he wasn't deviating from his menu, sadly :(

#14 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I'm assuming it wasn't the camp Eastern European barman? He took great delight in going off-menu on the couple of occasions we were down there...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#15 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

That is really unusual and VERY bad manners actually. A proper cocktail mixer generally feels quite challenged if they can go "off road". Mixing can be a proper art, not just a boring list of names and ingredients. Big big massif minus mark from me!