• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

A thread over in the Pet hates column (miss emma) reminded me of the Streatham Ice Rink, is it still there
and is it still used for ice skating?.

#2 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

It is definitely still there Anthony, as I currently live right behind it! And still used for skating, tho I haven't gone in myself (yet).
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#3 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Thank you Moc I used to skate there as often as my pocket money would allow as a youngster, it wasn't very often though.

#4 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

As ice rinks go it isn't brilliant but it's cheaper than any other I've been to and you can skate for as long as you want! Their skate shop is brilliant as well and were extrememly helpful when I bought my skates.

The only thing I have a problem with is their "first aider." Now I only know basic first aid but when a boy had someone skate over his hand when I was there the rinks "first aider" had no clue what to do and wrapped a (used) tea towel round the cut! I had gone to find a member of staff when the incident happened as it is also unclear where you should be able to find their first aider and I was shocked when that was all they did! :o
My parents made sure I put a complaint in about them and I know that the mother of the injured boy was outraged and was going to report them.

Despite this I am not prepared to (nor can I afford to) travel across London to can skating so in that respect Streatham ice rink is brilliant! If it wasn't there then I doubt I would have ever been skating!

Current plans are to have the rink rebuilt. Lambeth Council has said that the rink must be rebuilt as part of a major leisure, shopping and housing scheme but they haven't decided on a start date yet.

Edited by miss emma, 11 January 2009 - 04:34 PM.

Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#5 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

I can smell the cold ice and feel the much too tight ice skates that they used to hire-out.

Edited by Anthony, 11 January 2009 - 07:17 PM.

#6 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

The skates there are awful! That was the main reason why I saved up for my own!

There is something special though about the way the mist rolls across the ice and the smell of the damp in the air! :lol:

#7 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

It's also great to go there at this time of year because the Dancing on Ice season has just started (I'm watching it right now!) and you often see them training down there. Last year I met Olympic athlete Steve Backley and he was lovely, letting us watch him practice and then having photos taken with us afterwards!

#8 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

My home town (Telford) has an ice rink so I grew up skating, and used to be pretty good at it, but I went to Somerset House a few weeks ago, and I was terrible! I couldn't seem to get much grip on the ice... I think maybe my skates were a bit blunt?? I'm going to go skating in Streatham to give it another try. I go roller blading in Hyde Park in the summer. Love it! :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#9 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

Having blunt skates can be a problem but Streatham tends to keep their skates fairly blunt as well to help minimise the risk of injury. I don't understand how that helps though because they can still cause injurys and I would have thought a sharp blade would cut clean through anything and therefore it would be easier to stitch and heal.

#10 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

That must be great Moc for an active skater, living right on top of a rink. There are some small open-air places around here, mainly ice-hockey rinks that are at some times open to the public and of course the big left over Olympic speed skating course in the city that I used to be member off ( the track not the Olympics ) and used quite often, that was good because in summer when the track ( 3Kilometer oval with half pipes + + in the centre area) was dry they let the In-Line skaters in and that was really fast moving and I was using it almost every evening, until I moved out into the country. I cannot think of a better way to stay fit.
There is also one open-air in the city that was home to a large group of Senior Citizens skaters and they were there every day having a riot, a lot of them had used it since they were kids, many were very proficient ice-dancers and figure skaters and the place has often been on telly. That was turned into a chrome and glass palace a few years ago by a local chick catering company.

Edited by Anthony, 12 January 2009 - 08:50 AM.

#11 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

I used to go skating there too as a youngster, mostly in the fifties. In fact, I broke my wrist there twice being pushed over by (in my Nan's words) "rough boys"! I hope you weren't one of them Anthony! I also went to see a couple of bands who played there in the sixties - one of them was Cream, and I've got a vague idea the other band was the Small Faces (though I also saw them at the Streatham Locarno so might be getting confused). Us girls all stood around on the ice in our mini skirts freezing to death for the sake of fashion!

#12 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

That must be great Moc for an active skater, living right on top of a rink.

I am very lucky. There's also a swimming pool almost next door. And I have seen the new developments that Emma mentioned, and they look fantastic. Still cant wait to pick up badminton at the CP sports centre from April onwards tho!

Trixie, your post did make me laugh!

Maybe we could have a VN Skate sometime?

#13 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

That's a great idea - it's years since I've been ice-skating. In fact, I think the last time I went was in Central Park back in 2002.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#14 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Well a VN skate has my vote! ;)

I'm going next Wednesday actually to celebrate my psychology exam being over! I haven't been since October because time and money has both been an issue but with the new dancing on ice series having just started I feel the rink is calling out to me! Sad I know but we all have our hobbies! :)

#15 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

Sounds like a good hobby to me - good fun and good exercise all rolled into one!

We should think about arranging something then! :)