19 replies to this topic

#16 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

That's what I love about skating. I'm not the sort of person to go for a run because it seems pointless to me, but with skating you can learn to do something new everytime you go and the cardio workout you get is brilliant! (providing you don't spend too long sitting on the ice!). It really helps to tone up your leg muscles as well. :)
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#17 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

What's sad about that miss emma? I think that it's a great sport and beats running after buses anyday.
Trixie, I swear that I did not do it M'lord, although at that age I probably would have considered doing
almost anything to come into contact with members of the opposite gender I don't think that I was ever
"Rough" but it must have been cold for you and your girlfriends, (but it was great for us guys, if you don't mind me saying so).

Edited by Anthony, 14 January 2009 - 10:22 AM.

#18 twill

twill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

I used to skate there in the 50s on a Monday night, I think it was known as popular night. I remember waiting for the " speed session "to get going , no prisoners taken when that started.
Also I recall skating at Brixton roller rink ...happy days.

#19 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

I was at the rink yesterday and the it's looking a bit more shabby than usual! More paint is missing from the walls and one patch of the ice was no existant. It had to be coned off because it was just the flooring showing through. I almost skated over it before they coned it off and that really would have ruined my blades!

#20 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

Most recent newspaper article on the possible closure of the ice rink. I really hope they don't close it for good. Obviously if they do build a new one then the current will would need to be knocked down in order to make room. But at least then we would be given a date for the new one opening.

It's just frustrating being stuck in limbo like this!