Photo

I am about to move to Gipsy Hill. Or am I?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 position normal

position normal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

Dear everyone,

I have been looking for a place to buy and on my search found a great flat very near Gipsy Hill station.
I could really do with some advice from the people of the area as I'm having a fairly hard time finding anything on the net and don't know anyone that has lived there.

Gipsy Hill searches have thrown up little more than reports on crime, Southern train inadequacies and Lambeth council's lame reputation. When I visited the area it seemed green and open, slightly 'out of the way' but still a sweet place to end up even if after an awkward train journey.

I love the flat but alarm bells are ringing.

My girlfriend and myself both work late and would mostly be traveling back home later than usual.
Having lived in some of the less than desirable ares of east and north west London I am well aware of all the "keep your wits about you" anecdotes but I would greatly appreciate some advice from the good people of the area.

Thanks

normal

#2 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:03 AM

I lived there for almost 6 years and just moved down the road from CP and I love Gipsy Hill with all my heart and soul. If I found a house there I wold have stayed but unfortunately budget restrictions did not allow me to purchase a property in the area .... I used to live just 1/2 way up the Hill and used to come back home late at night, never had a problem.

Yes I know of a friend who had been robbed but I know of others all around London who had the same experience ...

Try to hang around the area in the evening - I did that before I bought my flat there...

Any query, feel free to PM me
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#3 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

If you're travelling home late at night, the one thing about Gipsy Hill is that it's a bit less well-served by buses compared to West Norwood and Crystal Palace - that's my impression, anyway, I wait for GH people to jump in and correct me! - but on the other hand, if you are in the upper half of Gipsy Hill you're only going to be a relatively short walk downhill from the Crystal Palace bus stops. But I work long hours too, and find I rely on buses a lot more than trains to get around.

Generally when I was house-hunting, I thought GH seemed like a really nice peaceful area, it definitely has that feeling of being a little bit out of the hustle and bustle, very leafy and very chilled out. However, as I don't plan to own a car in London, it was more important to me to have a wider choice of shops/facilities in easy walking distance and good bus connections, so went for WN in the end.

#4 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

The 'keep your wits about you' signs are there as a reminder to all those who come out of stations at night chatting on their mobiles oblivious to their surroundings - wherever you get people on their phones etc you're gonna get opportunist thieves. Ive lived in thornton heath, south norwood and gipsy hill and never had too much of a problem atall just use your common sense.
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#5 position normal

position normal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

Many thanks to you all.

Sound advice from well balanced people. Relief!

x
normal

#6 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

I know how influential these little snippets you pick up about crime can be. Years ago, when we were looking for somewhere to buy in south London, Balham was cheap - but then I read that there were '16 muggings a week' within a short radius of Balham station, which put us right off. Now of course Balham is the epitome of gentrification!

So we came further down the line and stopped at Gipsy Hill. My first impression was that I loved the white-painted wooden station tucked away amid all the greenery. It seemed almost rural after the grimy high-street stations along the way. And that impression carries through to the Triangle, the parks, Norwood Lake, the bookshop and baker's, All Saints churchyard and the other little 'villagey' aspects of Crystal Palace. You've got all the good things about living in London too - a diverse bunch of people, cafes, good shops and facilities. Even a decent supermarket in walking distance.

What I'm saying is don't put too much store by reports of crime levels. As other posters have said, as long as you've got your 'London' head on you'll be fine. Hope you decide to stay!

#7 Angeles

Angeles

• Sponsors
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

I leave in CP, so not far from GH. In my personal experience the area does not have more crime problems than other parts of London and I have so far not experienced problems in that respect in the area. As a side comment I should say that when I was living in "gentrified" Balham 4 years ago our flat got burglared and also encountered some threateaning people.

#8 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

As a side comment I should say that when I was living in "gentrified" Balham 4 years ago our flat got burglared and also encountered some threateaning people.

Sounds like nothing's changed then. But I take your point.

Happily GH has managed to avoid the scourge of gentrification!

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

I urge you not to worry Position Normal. It truly is a fabulous place to live - I've lived all over London, including round the corner from Westminster Abbey and now I really wouldn't live anywhere else in this city. It has a wonderful sense of community - Crystal Palace thinks it's a village to be honest! There are great restaurants and lovely quirky shops with owners who care about the place and their customers. It's got a great demographic mix and hasn't been gentrified into a souless row of chains - instead it's bohemian and individual. Lots of the residents are passionate about the place and there's lots of discussion and lobbying around what's best for area.

With regard to safety, this was one of our concerns and we made sure we tried out journeys later in the evening to check we felt okay with them. One of our criteria was that we'd only buy something within 5-10 mins walk of the train station as we didn't want to avoid going out at night because we were worried about the walk home. Of course, you can't protect against all risk but you can choose a property that makes you feel safer and ensure that your walk home takes you past lots of houses instead of quiet areas and that the front of your property isn't too sheltered from view.

Believe me, we had all the same conversations, some on this board if you delve deep into the archives! However, we'd have been crazy not to buy here as the place really gets under your skin and once you move here it's hard to tear yourself away. My partner and I might be moving to Manchester in a couple of years and it really worries me that we won't find an area as fab as Crystal Palace as we do feel at home here.

There - have I sold it enough do you think? :D

Do take some time to get involved with the Virtual Norwood forum and ask lots of questions.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#10 position normal

position normal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

Many regards to all,

The flat we were looking at was on the Dulwich Wood Estate. In the words of the estate agent "The ever popular Dulwich Wood Estate".
Turn right out of the station then four minutes walk to the left.

A sense of community and variety of shops is high on our priorities so thanks for the tip off.
The other point is commuting.
We don't drive and can't afford cabs back from town so we would need good access into Central London and found that Gipsy Hill station is the only way in and out. I don't wish to be a nit picking hair splitter but I wonder how people here find that.

This is a great forum. You don't get this kind of thing in many other parts of town.

Thanks again

x Normal

#11 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

commuting never been a problem

late nights out: various options (1) N3 fom central London (2) if tube still working then I used to catch tube to Clapham Common then bus from there or cab (12 quid) - never had a prob with all this
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

Routes I use:

If out around Leicester Square, tube to Balham and then pick up train if not too late. Other option is cab from Balham (there's a taxi office outside the station). There's a bus from Balham too but it's not especially quick.

Bus - number 3 or N3.

Victoria line to Brixton and then pick up the number 3 or 432 if tube still running.

To be honest with you though I'm not a big late night person so usually end up getting the tube to Balham and then picking up the last train.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 t0P_c4t

t0P_c4t

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

Agree with all above N3 is the magic bus which runs all night to Crystal Palace. I wouldn't use it to commute in rush hour, but on an evening it is pretty fast, about 40-45 mins from Regent Street usually if I can recall the last trip through the drunken haze. Some of them terminate at the CP bus station too so the driver will come and wake you up if you've nodded off. :yawn:

If you are on the Crystal Palace (rather than Gipsy Hill) side of things like me, Anerley station is a useful 15 mins walk too. The last train to Anerley is a bit later than the last one to CP or Gipsy Hill.

As for crime - I've had no bother at all in the last 6 years in CP. In 2 years of renting in Islington before hand there was 1 fatal hit and run and a murder within 200m of my flat. :(

#14 Rockchick

Rockchick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

Have lived in the area for over 20 years and never had even a 'sniff' of a problem....... I have always felt safe walking home from the station, even at night. Now I have a family and wouldnt dream of living in any other part of London. You are close (ish) to central London...... have great parks, schools etc in the area and some lovely property to buy. There are also good shopping and facilities in CP, (sainsburys is great). Also, all the independent shops - and the library is brill!!! Great shops etc also in Dulwich and Bromley and Beckenham (waitrose)just down the road. And it's not very far to Bluewater either....... You wont regret moving here...... but ssshh dont tell too many people how good it is as we dont want it spoilt!!!!

Have you thought of using Sydenham Hill station??? as from your description of where you are thinking of buying it's an easy walk and the train on the Orpington line is much quicker into Victoria, as it doesn't go round the loop. I think the last train is later than the Gipsy Hill service. Check it out.... Only down side of Sydenham Hill station is that out of commute time it could be a little 'lonely'....... Hope this helps!!!!

#15 Local

Local

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

N3 is the magic bus which runs all night to Crystal Palace.

I've even caught the N3 back from Bromley (sad, innit?)