Photo

I am about to move to Gipsy Hill. Or am I?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

I moved to the area about a year ago and often take the train to GH after work and walk down Colby Road at around 8pm, which is hardly very late. The street is very dark but there are lots of houses. When I come to the corner of Dulwich Wood Avenue I always check my surroundings before determinedly heading for the front door. I've never had any trouble but was woken last summer by screams around midnight - someone was being attacked across the road from my house! The would-be mugger ran off and the victim seemed unphased by it, but it did make me think.

Mind you, before that I lived in West Hampstead where (i) they found a decapitated body in a bin, (ii) drug addicts invaded the block and slumbered in the corridors and (iii) several neighbours were mugged, some in the driveway of the block. So......

GH is lovely! And so peaceful!

#17 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

Normal Position we live on the Dul Wood Ave and use the 3/N3 usually to come back from town in the evenings if we are too late for the last train. As others have said the 3 runs faster the later it is and the frequency s usually pretty good.

You can cut through the flats where you are thinking of buying to the bus stops on Dulwich Wood Road. Our 20ish neice used the 3 a lot for the 2 years she was living with us and raving up in town. If the tube is still running you can get the 3 or 322 up from Brixton - loiter opposite M and S and dash for whichever comes first. You can also catch the 3 or 322 from Herne Hill Station.

Sydeham Hill is a bit far to walk IMO but I know neighbours that use it.

#18 picklesgirl13

picklesgirl13

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

I rented right on the triangle for about 10 months, and have now bought close to GH station, much quieter, lovely roads, great neighbors but only a 10 minute climb to the triangle...

I am quite an evening person and rather than walk along my road in the early hours on my own I tend to get the N3 to Herne Hill station and then jump in a cab, the office is right by the bus stop. It takes 10 minutes and costs about 8 which I think is reasonable, and just means I have a drink or two less to pay for it... :blink:

#19 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

I lived on Gipsy hill for 6 years and now on Gipsy Road (for 3) ,having been bormn and raised in south london and having rented in various parts for 10 years before I bought. When I was looking for my first flat it was a no brainer to look in Gipsy Hill for all the reasons you have mentioned - and many others

I've never been the victim of any direct violent crime (touch wood) even though I'm a pretty small built guy and have travelled home late quite often.There are the occassional muggings but that is true for the whole of south London and my perception is we are well below the norm - particularly when compared with say West Norwood,Tulse Hill, Balham, Brixton and Clapham - all of which I've also lived in. The main difference , and again this is my perception, is that the area is far less plagued with the problems associated with crack/heroin driven crime. There is also the odd alcohol related assaults but again they seem pretty rare.

The transport routes mentioned - particularly the 322 and 3 bus from Herne Hill if you've missed the last direct train are pretty good and safe and I've never felt particularly uneasy walking around Gipsy Hill at night.

#20 wass

wass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

I've lived in the area for 2 years now after long spells in Tooting,Capham and Batersea.I have fallen in love with the area .There's a lovely community atmosphere and I've always felt as safe here as I have anywhere else.All I would say is that when I first arrived I was a little nervous on the streets at night because away from the triangle it can be really quiet on the streets compared to a lot of London and I wrongly felt a little vulnerable.Two years later I have no worries and just love living near the triangle and it's great pubs and restaurants and views!
I hope you join us all.
Good luck with your search.

#21 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

It's nice to see people taking evening walks again now the weather is improving (a little bit). The area did seem to go even quieter than usual over the last month or so, but last night there was a lot of street traffic. I've always thought that people taking walks after dinner is a good thing! It creates a nice ambience. Dogs optional.

#22 andyk

andyk

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

Lived here 5 years. No bother whatsoever. Used to even walk through the GH estate at night, with no problem although this was usually whilst wearing the beer cloak!
Now I do 'The Hill' - the exercise if better than a gym in the recession!!! :D
My good lady takes a cab from either CP station or Thornton Heath (4-5 quid), whenever she's out late on her own.
But if getting home before 10 then there's enough commuters anyway or I pick her up if i'm feeling generous.

Mind you, i'd want her to take those precautions even if we were living in the leafy suburbs of the south downs.