Photo

Yak & Yeti

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: Yak & Yeti (68 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (44 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. Good (17 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Average (3 votes [4.41%])

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

4. Poor (4 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

funeral directors is nextdoor to the east - anyone know if they hold corpses in there? - the thought of a dead body lying a few feet away from me kind of put me off my lamb jalfrezzi a bit

That's ok - that wouldn't put me off too much. I think a vet would be worse, after all that stuff in the press a few years ago about curry houses using cat meat in their kormas.

Is Y&Y better than Paprika on Gipsy Hill? I don't get curry very often so if I go to one i'd like it to be the best of the bunch.

#17 Local

Local

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

That's ok - that wouldn't put me off too much. I think a vet would be worse, after all that stuff in the press a few years ago about curry houses using cat meat in their kormas.

Is Y&Y better than Paprika on Gipsy Hill? I don't get curry very often so if I go to one i'd like it to be the best of the bunch.

The Y&Y curries are relatively gentler, as is the Khatmandu lager. And the staff are charming.

#18 Hxx

Hxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

I ate at the Yak and Yeti on Saturday night and was very impressed. The food was lovely, the service was great, and the manager was happy to chat to us about Nepal and Kathmandu. Although the restaurant wasn't as busy as you might expect, when compared to some of the other Crystal Palace restaurants, there was also a number of people in there getting take-aways.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend the place - we're going back again this weekend :-)

#19 Richard Williams

Richard Williams

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

This is fast becoming my favourite restaurant in Crystal Palace. Excellent food and service is fantastic. Well worth a visit.

#20 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

Cool, we'll try it.

#21 jimjamstew

jimjamstew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

I would highly recommend this restaurant - the service is both friendly and professional, the decor is soothing and understated - not overly fussy as in so many oriental restaurants. The real strength, however, is the food - particularly the Nepalese dishes, all served on rather nice large, plain white crockery (I'm a sucker for well presented food, what can I say!?)

The starters were very tasty, and more importantly, not 'heavy' - a good preparation for the food to follow.

The Lamb Pokheroli (lamb and pureed Aubergine) is an absolute delight - slow cooked to perfection, tasty in the extreme. The Lamb Bhutuwa, whilst leaning more to 'hot and sour', was also of good quality, but could have done with the same length of cooking time as the Pokheroli, as the lamb, whilst certainly palatable, wasn't as tender.

The offer of both free appetiser AND a free beer and wine towards the end of the meal were most welcome, and I feel were as a result of our striking up conversation with the equable staff and not necessarily as an incentive to pass the word to friends and family (although this, of course, has occurred!).

Please do not be put off by the rather unfortunately 'gaudy' signage above the restaurant, which lends an 'after hours takeaway' look to the establishment - the interior, the service and the food are all worth the extra 50 yard journey away from the supposed safety of The Triangle.

In a nutshell, Yak & Yeti offers:

Quality Dishes [including the plates ;o)]
Quality Service
Quality Surroundings
and all at an extremely wallet friendly price...what's not to like about that?

Jamie

#22 Mrs D

Mrs D

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

Got takeaway from there the other day (ordered online using http://hungryhouse.co.uk/). Very impressed with the service and the quality of the food - will definitely order again. Poppadoms and a beer were thrown in for free.

#23 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Ate in here the other evening and as the above posts have described, the food in here is superb. I Had a Goan fish curry which was delicious and the manager and his able assistant where both very friendly and quite knowledgeable about the local area.

Will definitely be going back

#24 gabe

gabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

I wish this place would start filling up. I got a take out from there a week ago and the food really was excellent!

#25 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

We went recently to Y&Y and found it to be a really superb place - the food was particularly delicious, the service was right on target with attention but discretion.

The interior decor is ok, but nothing special. The chairs are an enigma - really not my taste to look at, but my aching-backed dining companion proclaimed them the most comfortable chairs he has encountered in a restaurant.

#26 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

I had a good meal on Sunday. I don't think the name of this place and the external signage does it any favours - it gives the impression that the place is rather gimmicky, when in fact the food is delicious and well-presented.

#27 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

If they stick with Yak and Yeti I think they should promote it by standing outside in a Chewbacca costume

#28 sundaze

sundaze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

Have eaten there twice now and have been very impressed with the food and i must say very generous sized portions. Good service also!

Will be going back again i'm sure very soon.

#29 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

Had a great takeaway at the weekend. Mrs Elmo said she had the best popadoms ever, and the dishes were lovely...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#30 Bri_957

Bri_957

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

Had an excellent delivery from here on Saturday.

I thought it was better than Gurkha Cottage. Good to see some healthy competition in the area.