Photo

Yak & Yeti

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: Yak & Yeti (68 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (44 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. Good (17 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Average (3 votes [4.41%])

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

4. Poor (4 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

I think the chairs are horrible to look at not my taste but very comfortable. Don't change them!

#47 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

went there again last night. Really good food as usual, friendly staff as usual - didn't get asked if I wanted a desert. Last time I went I only got the ice cream menu and not the main menu with the two traditional deserts on it, and felt a bit silly asking. Has anyone had one of the deserts at the bottom of the main menu yet?

#48 juniper77

juniper77

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

After the stellar reviews on here, finally ordered a takeaway at the weekend. Was delighted that it was every bit as good as I'd hoped for. It arrived quickly (but not so much that you worry about the speed) and was piping hot. I had the momo (dumplings), which were addictively delicious and the chatti kukhutra - a Nepalese chicken dish with mushrooms and peas, which was full of meat and veg in a lovely thick sauce. Portions were really generous and I particularly liked the teeny pots of chutneys that were included with the order - it's a small touch but a nice one. Will definitely be eating food from here again. An excellent addition to the Triangle!

#49 fifififi

fifififi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

I've wanted to try Yak and Yeti for a while, and we finally wandered along on Saturday night. We were a little surprised to see only one other couple there (around 8.15). Our food was excellent, portions generous and service friendly. This is a really nice place which deserves to be busier (though they did seem to be sending out a lot of takeaways, so that's encouraging). Definitely recommended, and we will be back.

#50 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

Just noticed that the How do you rate this restaurant categories go from Excellent, Good, Average and back to Good again - Is there no longer a Poor category? or are they just too good.

Edited by charlie, 03 June 2009 - 11:28 AM.

#51 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hi Charlie,

I've fixed this now. Thanks for pointing it out!
Nick, Forum Moderator

#52 LondonPooley

LondonPooley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

Visited for the first time last night. As others have said, the food was delicious, generous portions and the service excellent. We were also surprised at how few people were in there for a Friday night. We will definitely be going back and probably ordering a takeaway too.

#53 Paramali

Paramali

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

Best curry in the area by a long chalk. Really nice people to boot!

#54 pipistrellus

pipistrellus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Excellent food, big portions, good service. We couldn't manage to eat it all, so they kindly boxed up the leftovers for us.

Yak & Yeti isn't the most cosy of spaces (it was quite empty and the air-con was blowing a gale), but that's worth completely ignoring in light of how good the food is.

Would definitely return... My stomach is actually rumbling just thinking about it!

#55 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

we've been doing take-aways (actually home deliveries) from them and have been very pleased.

#56 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

I think they need to get an atmosphere going in there - have been in once - food good but were the only people in there - theres a big catchment area as its the first eaterie you come too from the south and west of the triangle (ie Church Rd (south) / Auckland Road) and I bet lots of people look in but decide not to go in as it looks too empty. I think theres a critical mass for these places - somehow or other they need to tempt people in on a deal/promotion to kickstart busy times or I can see them not lasting much longer - If it was me I'd go round the triangle on a Yak handing out promotional flyers - or maybe do a deal with the Queens Hotel for the tourists "try Britaain's National Dish - Curry!"

#57 Local

Local

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

The fact it's not "on" the Triangle makes it less conspicuous. Maybe a projecting sign would help.

#58 mickeyboy

mickeyboy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

The fact it's not "on" the Triangle makes it less conspicuous. Maybe a projecting sign would help.

I'm saying nothing! ;)

#59 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:37 AM

I think Yak & Yeti is one of a number of businesses in the area coping with 'massive space syndrome'. Cleverer people than me will know if it's to do with our Victorian architectural heritage or planning laws or whatever, but we do seem to have quite a few commercial properties that are simply too big to fill with customers, even without a recession.

I don't know how you get over this and use the space - cookery classes, craft workshops, club memberships, poetry readings, themed evenings? Other than that I think we have to resign ourselves to the fact that some local venues will always have a slightly cavernous feel and accept it as part of CP's unique charm.

#60 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

Cookery classes - what a great idea. I do think you need a really creative and strong business head to run a small business in a place like CP. It's not enough to open something on a whim or because it's your lifelong dream and expect customers to flock in. Even before the recession many shops and restaurants in the Palace were struggling. You have to do something different but research your market well. As the old adage goes, Britian is a nation of hobbyists - cooking, gardening, arts and crafts, diy, reading, writing, sport, evening classes, collecting, re-enacting etc. etc. - so why not pander to that? Of course, there are some logistical considerations but if you are creative, they are probably not insurmountable.
Mel, Forum Moderator