Photo

Numidie Bistro

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (116 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (66 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. Good (34 votes [29.82%])

Percentage of vote: 29.82%

3. Average (9 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. Poor (5 votes [4.39%])

Percentage of vote: 4.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 BuzzBee

BuzzBee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

Glad you liked Phil! We went there a fortnight ago and had another great dinner (no ski-ing though) :o

Highly recommended.

Try A Torre cafe for sunday lunch next week and have tapas - (v different from Numdie but equally fabulous)

#17 drummerboy

drummerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

Great bar downstairs but the restaurant is over priced and over rated. the portion sizeds are weedy especially they're lunch specials

Edited by drummerboy, 27 February 2006 - 04:45 PM.

#18 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:34 PM

It's understandable if the cuisine on offer isn't to your liking but since Numidie is the only local restaurant to feature in the Times Top 100 I think it is a bit harsh to say they are both over priced and over rated. Jonathan Meades (Saturday Times) is known for being a harsh food critic but he only took task with the quantity of garnish given. Giles Coren (Saturday Times, 2yrs later) gave it the thumbs up, so did Jay Rayner (Observer) and it is listed in the Good Food Guide 2005. That's not to mention the usual clutch of Time Out reviews etc that most restaurants lay claim to.

If you want to feel full I'd recommend having some cous cous with your meal. Similarly, if you are out for a night on the tiles best to keep your cous cous intake limited because it can soak up the vino and make you feel bloated.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#19 drummerboy

drummerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:22 AM

Being in the Times Top 100 or any list of that matter is all arbitrary. Everone knows that restaurants and bars end up on these lists based on who they know, what the food and atmosphere was like on one particular night when reviewer went there. Another factor for getting in there must be whether the meal was free or not. If its a poll where the public votes like with Time Out who decides which restaurants /bars make the short list.
Don't get me wrong, I think the food in Numdie tastes okay its just very over priced for what it is.

#20 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

Personally, I'd rather pay for quality than quantity. As someone who loves great food but doesn't have a huge appetite, I find an enormous plate of food overwhelming and an appetite-killer. It's also a huge waste when I have to send half of it back because I am full. The food in Numidie is excellent and you are paying for top quality ingredients, not cheap and cheerful, pile it high stuff.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#21 howdy

howdy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

Been to Numidie a couple of times recently - once at lunchtime and once in the evening. I have to say on both occasions the food has been wonderful. I agree portion sizes can be relatively small, but the quality is most definitely there. The lunchtime chorba is an incredible treat at £4, but they do advertise it as "light lunch", so bear that in mind - you might want to eat something else (I did!).

All in all, one of the reasons I went to Marseille recently. It's that good.

#22 Tux

Tux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:52 AM

I have been here on several occasions and found the food to be great. The service is often a little slow, but if you are not in a rush, this is one of the better places to eat in CP.

The atmosphere is charming.

#23 der_maberley

der_maberley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

Went there for the first time today, service very friendly and courteous, even if the waiter did have to go off and do some shopping at first (I was in shortly after 12...). I loved the food, very authentic, made there and then. What really impressed me was not so much the way they dealt with me (I tend to be very polite in resturants, and don't complain if I can help it), but rather with the two ladies who came afterwards and made quite a number of requests, all of which were dealt with promptly. My choice of table was foolish (right by the door, with the crossing going off every few moments), but other than that, it was one of the very best meals I have had on the Triangle. Cuisine from the Magreib, as I think the French call the area is quite interesting, very fiery, and this reminded me of what I tasted on the rive guache in the eighties. And the bar, the nearest thing to a snug I have seen in this country...

Price wise, very very reasonable. If you take mineral water, it's very cheap, but the wines are not that expensive, adding at most 20 quid to a meal.

#24 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

Has another fab meal i n here on Saturday night. Delicious fish soup and very tasty Sea Bream with fennel. Very friendly and attentive service as well

#25 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

The food in here is of a very high standard and service is good also. In my opinion it's one of the best in the triangle.

All that keeps me out of here on a regular basis is paying my mortgage....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#26 lamb

lamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

Went on Saturday - very disappointed. Got there at 8.30 & it was 9.00 before we were offered drinks. Several items on the menu were 'off'. Meals took a long time to arrive and were very average. Been before & enjoyed it, won't be going again.

#27 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

If you've been there before and enjoyed it, why are you so adamant that you won't go again? Numidie Bistro usually gets great reviews. Anyone can have an off day - staff sickness, a cancelled delivery etc. It seems a shame if you feel you can never go back because of one bad experience - no-one's perfect.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#28 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

Several items on the menu were 'off'.

I would annoyed with the waiter/waitress if they didn't tell me up front before choosing from the menu but I actually prefer places that run out of food... its an indicator of freshness. Conversely, if you visit another restaurant and everything on the menu is always available you'd have to question how long it has been hanging around.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#29 lamb

lamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

Personally, I like a menu that reflects what's available.
Having read other messages, Numidie can sometimes be a bit hit & miss and I don't intend to spend £60 in the hope of going on one of their better nights.

#30 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

...I found it a 'miss' on New Years Eve unfortunately.