Photo

Numidie Bistro

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (116 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (66 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. Good (34 votes [29.82%])

Percentage of vote: 29.82%

3. Average (9 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. Poor (5 votes [4.39%])

Percentage of vote: 4.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Mah-in

Mah-in

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

ok...........

sorry...........

hit them with a small car instead?

#47 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:25 PM

Had another lovely meal there recently. Wonderful atmosphere, and they really do cater for vegetarins in an imaginative way rather than the usual bland options most places deliver - having said that, my carnivorous companion was very well catered for as well (as per usual).

A truly special place, thank goodness you don't have to go further afield to have food and service like this.

#48 howdy

howdy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

The new menu is.... very good!

#49 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

I see they now open for Sunday brunch... :D
Love The Triangle...

#50 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

Went here today for breakfast and wasn't that impressed.
Service was very slow, and while the food was nice enough it felt really strange. I can't put my finger on it, perhaps it's the surroundings -vs- traditional English food.

And why does everywhere seem to ration you to ONE sausage at breakfast?
Love The Triangle...

#51 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

But it doesn't purport to be traditional English grub - why would you expect it to be?

Numidie is wonderful - service, food and atmosphere.

#52 theandrewssister

theandrewssister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hmm. I'm troubled by the assumption on this thread that, once a few people have posted positive reviews, it is somehow bad form to contradict them from one's own experience. And, I truly don't need random newspaper critics (and especially not Jonathan Meades -- did anyone read his hagiography of Zaha Hadid recently? Grade-A Private Eye material) to tell me what to think of my food. I myself have been to Numidie four times (much to my husband's disgust -- he made his judgement on visit 1), as I adore Moroccan/Algerian food, love the look of the place (esp. the bar downstairs, which is brilliant in every way) and desperately wanted it to be all right. But I have had to face the fact that it simply isn't; every time the food has been sloppy and bland, requiring dollops of harissa to make it palatable. The room, once you're actually in it, feels chilly and comfortless (which I think is more to do with the lighting than the actual heat levels) and the service is impersonal. I used to go to a ramshackle family-run BYO Algerian in Thornton Heath that put Numidie to shame at approximately a third of the price, but it's long since closed down. There's no justice in the world.

#53 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

Each to their own I guess. I wouldn't let it trouble you unduly.

personally I love the decor in the restaurant, it feels cosy and intimate. I am genuinely surprised about your comments on the service, the service has always been friendly and professional in our experience, in particular from the lady who generally meets and greets.

We have also had some truly wonderful meals there. It just goes to show that people are pleased by differings things. Thankfully CP has enough varietly to suit most people, and Numidie is evidently popular enough to suit a variety of tastes (if not yours). Bon appetit! - wherever you choose to eat.

Edited by James, 31 October 2008 - 12:44 PM.
Removed unnecessary quoted reply

#54 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

But it doesn't purport to be traditional English grub - why would you expect it to be?

For breakfast, it is described as a 'full English'. And I did find the restaurant to be cold, temperature wise.
Love The Triangle...

#55 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

We moved to CP in 2002, and since then have been to Numidie every 2 months or so. It's never been anything less than excellent, in terms of food, service, atmosphere and value for money. The last time we went, for instance, the Algerian fish soup was - and I don't say this lightly - incredible, smooth and fishy and sea-y with a couple of tiny blobs of harissa stuck to the bottom of the bowl, while my wife's courgette fritter was divine, fluffy and light and tasty with rich, naughty fig sauce that complimented it perfectly. For mains she had venison stew that was rich and comforting and exotic, with a lovely medly of baked veggies, while I had a baked grouse which was, dare I say it, perfect. Along with Creme Brulees for dessert, a bottle of white, and bottle of water and two liquers, it all came to fifty quid which represents terrific value. The staff are absolute sweethearts, always friendly and welcoming, and I love the decor, 50-50 French/Moroccan, and I love the little bar downstairs.

I know, I know, some people have said they didn't have a good time there, but I've got to say, every single time we've been there (including NYE last year), it's been absolutely spot on.

For the record, by the way, we've eaten in many good restaurants around the world, we're both pretty good chefs ourselves (I'm fully qualified, though I no longer work in restaurants), and, importantly, we've dined extensively in both France and Morocco.

:) :) :) :) :)
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#56 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

I do love Numidie - especially the wonderful bar downstairs. My only (little) gripe would be that they are a little unimaginative (and repetitive) in relation to vegetarian options.

Oh.. and Billy S, Numidie doesn't serve huge, great portions (as does the average greasy spoon cafe). For your future fulfillment re a 'full' English breakfast with full on double sausages, black pudding, fried eggs, fried bread, beans etc., I would strongly suggest a cafe.

#57 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:33 PM

I didn't say I wanted a big breakfast. I don't eat black pudding, fried bread and beans for example.
Love The Triangle...

#58 CrystalParis

CrystalParis

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

Free Tapas with drinks now in happy hour for Numidie 6-8 pm. Very nice too :-)

#59 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

That is a bargin.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#60 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Free Tapas with drinks now in happy hour for Numidie 6-8 pm. Very nice too :-)

The bar gets better and better :)