Photo

Numidie Bistro

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (116 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (66 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. Good (34 votes [29.82%])

Percentage of vote: 29.82%

3. Average (9 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. Poor (5 votes [4.39%])

Percentage of vote: 4.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

Went here for the first time last night with my other half. Really like north african food so found it a wee bit disappointing - the starters were really quite bland. We both had the lamb shank main course, which was very nice, shank with steamed couscous on the side, but was described as "tagine" on the menu - so I was expecting lamb, vegetables, olives, almonds, apricots, and couscous all cooked in a stew type thing. Didn't seem very authentic to be honest.

The other slight down point is that we were served at super-speed - we arrived at 7.55 and had finished our mains by 8.30. It was saturday night so I understand if they wanted us out to get another sitting, but they actually turned 2 couples away after we'd asked for the bill and while we were sitting waiting for the waitress to take our card.

The bar downstairs was packed with people all in fancy dress, so watching suprerman, a smurf, wilma flintstone and others arrive and go downstairs did provide some entertainment, but probably won't go back for a while - maybe if they change the menu again.

#62 pipistrellus

pipistrellus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

Even though the food can be a bit of a hit or miss affair, I really like Numidie. It's relaxed and unpretentious and the bar downstairs is always a pleasant place to enjoy a good cocktail.

On Friday evening, we had dinner there and I found the menu to be a bit odd. It featured "stuffed aubergine", but with no further information about what it might be stuffed with! Upon further investigation, I was told that it's 'soft cheese', which I decided that I didn't really fancy.

In the end, I opted for the chicken tagine.

I cook a chicken tagine dish at home on a semi regular basis and expected something that was at least slightly similar, with a similar range of ingredients. What I did not expect was that an entire chicken would turn up (the most ridiculously large poussin I've ever seen! We both collapsed with laughter and I took a photo - see below) with only a thin, gravy like sauce and nothing to accompany it, such as couscous, or veg.
I'm pretty sure that the menu said that it was supposed to have lemons and anise, but these seemed to be absent.

[image removed at the request of the restaurant]

The cooking of the chicken was very moist and pleasant enough, but I felt a bit misled that the menu didn't make it clear that it would be a whole chicken. And it was actually far too big to be a single portion.

In the end, my husband ate some and the rest was taken home and hoovered up by two very grateful cats.

Nice enough evening, but food wise, I found it to be a somewhat bizarre experience!

Edited by MattVN, 14 August 2009 - 12:22 PM.
restaurant requested the removal of the photo - it was a whole chicken on a plate - looked tasty I'm a hungry vegetarian

#63 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

Even though the food can be a bit of a hit or miss affair, I really like Numidie. It's relaxed and unpretentious and the bar downstairs is always a pleasant place to enjoy a good cocktail.

On Friday evening, we had dinner there and I found the menu to be a bit odd. It featured "stuffed aubergine", but with no further information about what it might be stuffed with! Upon further investigation, I was told that it's 'soft cheese', which I decided that I didn't really fancy.

In the end, I opted for the chicken tagine.

I cook a chicken tagine dish at home on a semi regular basis and expected something that was at least slightly similar, with a similar range of ingredients. What I did not expect was that an entire chicken would turn up (the most ridiculously large poussin I've ever seen! We both collapsed with laughter and I took a photo - see below) with only a thin, gravy like sauce and nothing to accompany it, such as couscous, or veg.
I'm pretty sure that the menu said that it was supposed to have lemons and anise, but these seemed to be absent.

[image removed at the request of the restaurant]

The cooking of the chicken was very moist and pleasant enough, but I felt a bit misled that the menu didn't make it clear that it would be a whole chicken. And it was actually far too big to be a single portion.

In the end, my husband ate some and the rest was taken home and hoovered up by two very grateful cats.

Nice enough evening, but food wise, I found it to be a somewhat bizarre experience!

Jeepers! Weirdest tagine I have ever seen...

I love Numidie too, especially the bar downstairs, but I think that the food in their restaurant needs a rethink. We have drifted away from eating there over the last few months as the vegetarian option almost always tastes the same and has the same ingredients (albeit under a different name, sometimes). I do hope they buck up a bit foodwise.

We frequent the bar far too frequently for the sake of our livers though - great atmosphere, superb music and lovely prosecco.

#64 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

Don't forget Hamed in the bar. Always points me to the Morrocan Merlot, and he's always right... ;)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#65 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Don't forget Hamed in the bar. Always points me to the Morrocan Merlot, and he's always right... ;)

Hamed is fabulous! Not often you can have a stimulating conversation about world politics and jazz musicians with a bar manager in CP who also makes the most stunning cocktails. Haven't tried the Morrocan Merlot, but will on the next visit - thanks for the tip :)

#66 CrystalParis

CrystalParis

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

Another lovely meal there on Sunday night and great value too.

#67 lots29

lots29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Had a fantastic night mid-week - it was really busy and great atmosphere ! The roasted aubergine was to die for and the homemade felafel were simply melt in the mouth. I will definitely recommend this place. Really reasonable and even after a few bottles of prosecco we were nowhere near breaking the bank. I have lived here for 5 years and never been till this week, don't leave it as long as me !!

#68 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

Great -we are going next week for my birthday and really looking forward to it. We originally booked Joannas but then decided to cancel after they they got a bit fussy over where we could sit despite the fact we have had the same table for the last 8 years. The menu is currently looking very good at Numidie and I am warming to idea of prosecco to kick things off. Thanks lots29.

#69 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

I'm a relative newcomer to SE19 and have been to Numidie twice now. I was there just this week and had their set menu, 3 courses for 14.50 (or 2 for 12.50 if you're not as greedy as me). With a glass of wine and a coffee the bill came to just over 20. Food was really nice and the service was friendly and efficient. I like the atmosphere and the prices seem pretty reasonable so I'm sure I'll be going back. I've yet to try the bar, looks very inviting though.

#70 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

The chocolate tart with orange is fab!

#71 Lorlorkins

Lorlorkins

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

Went last week for the first time - had the fish borek and vegetable tagine. Both excellent, with lovely friendly service. Thinking about it makes my mouth water... will definitely be going back.

#72 ozric

ozric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

My wife and I had booked a table for last Friday as it was our anniversary. After being seated it took our waitress approximately 20 minutes to come and take our drink order (wih no apology), then once taken it was clear that it had been forgotten until she looked in our direction and had a sudden recollection. It then took another 5 minutes before the tap water we had asked for at finally arrived. Our food was quite poor my pheasant was dry and my wifes lamb shank not that tender. Afterwards we decided to go to the bar (have been before and enjoyed it). It was very cold due to the back door being open for those smoking outside and it just finished the evening off exactly as it started.

In all honesty there are far better restaurants around with a lot better service.

#73 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

My wife and I had booked a table for last Friday as it was our anniversary. After being seated it took our waitress approximately 20 minutes to come and take our drink order (wih no apology), then once taken it was clear that it had been forgotten until she looked in our direction and had a sudden recollection. It then took another 5 minutes before the tap water we had asked for at finally arrived. Our food was quite poor my pheasant was dry and my wifes lamb shank not that tender. Afterwards we decided to go to the bar (have been before and enjoyed it). It was very cold due to the back door being open for those smoking outside and it just finished the evening off exactly as it started.

In all honesty there are far better restaurants around with a lot better service.

I was on the point of replying to your post in the bar section but it disappeared! (presumably because you have repeated it here). My point was going to be that it is a perfect case of 'different strokes for different folks'- we were in Numidie Bar on Friday night too and had a great evening watching Hamid whip up his uber lovely cocktails and listening to his v good taste in music ('if your thinking your too cool to boogie' .... haven't heard that in ages! :) ).

I actually asked him to keep the door open for a while as it was so hot in the bar (probably as it had been such a mild day and the bar was fairly full) so it is me who you can blame - sorry! :(

#74 ozric

ozric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Not a problem about the door - can understand that it does get busy and hot down there. Have been to the bar before and had a good time. Unfortunaetly that doesn't excuse the restaurant side of things though!

#75 Ozzie

Ozzie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:16 AM

Anyone been since the re-opening? Going on Saturday evening an just wondered if the new owners were living up to the previous high standards?