Photo

Numidie Bistro

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (116 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (66 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. Good (34 votes [29.82%])

Percentage of vote: 29.82%

3. Average (9 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. Poor (5 votes [4.39%])

Percentage of vote: 4.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

We went quite soon after the re-opening. They were still getting themselves up and running but we had generally very nice food, up to previous high standards, and pleasant, attentive service. The renovated bar is also worth a visit.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#77 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

Haven't been to the bistro yet under the new owners but hopefully will do someetime this weekend. I have to day that the menu appeals to me more than in Serge's day.

Have been to the new bar though and had lots of fun.

#78 Ozzie

Ozzie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I'll right a review after we've been on Saturday.

#79 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

We went last Saturday and were very pleased. It still is working out some kinks, but looks set to be a great place to go on (again) on the Triangle.

We all had tagines and they were really excellent. Lamb with prune & almond was delicious, chicken with lemon and olives was also top. The pitta bread was good, but was served too early and got cold and stiff a bit quickly, and also was not topped up. I think they shouldn't serve warm flatbread in an open dish, and it should be refreshed when it gets low, as there is no other starch. We had a few starters of which one was fantastic and the others were fine (apologies I can't remember their names and the menu is not yet online).

On ambiance they have regularised the interior a bit with some improvements but some disimprovements. The quirkiness is almost erased and I don't think that benefits it overall. The tables and chairs are all the same kind of mass manufactured, ladder backed job, not the funky mismatches and big long table (that was perfect for a group) is gone. The window painting on the interior wall is a predictable desert scene, drawn without much life. The pictures are pokey and predictable. I liked all the old stuff that was in there before that gave it more character. I only popped in downstairs, but that looked better, in fact. Oh, and when we arrived the front door was open so it was cold and you heard that dang-blasted road-crossing beeper until I closed it. They also had thump-thumpity thump music on loud on the sound system, which I had to ask to turn down. Disco Moroccan is not what I want when I go out with a few friends for a tasty meal.

Despite my pointed comments, we liked it overall.

#80 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

Does this deserve a new thread? Under new management and all that.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#81 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Not sure.... a reincarnation I agree, but still of the same idea/ethos?

#82 Ozzie

Ozzie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

Went for Dinner last night and had a great meal. Staff friendly and attentive, food still great and the new bar downstairs is a definite improvement. Yes it has lost some of its quirkness and character with the new decor but still looks good and we left the place very satisfied after our meal.

#83 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

We had a great meal in the restaurant too, we shared a delicious mixed starter for two then I had a minced lamb kofta with chickpeas with a perfectly poached egg on top op served with fragrant flatbread and R had shoulder of lamb cooked with almonds and dates - both wonderfully spiced and absolutely delicious. Highly recommended. (For me, the menu is better than in Serge's day in that there are more dishes to choose from and that appeal to me - we well definitely be back!). The service was great too with Anya making a welcome return visit).

The bar is coming into its own again too, and the cocktails looked v good. They have a stack of Hamid's CDs (loved Hamid's musical taste) behind the bar too and are happy for you to choose something to listen to. Great evening overall :)

Edited by Summit Lover, 25 September 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#84 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

Went there on saturday night with better half and in laws. Overall enjoyed it very much.the food was excellent seems a slightly wider choice now. The staff were very welcoming - a few little niggles which were a reflection on a few new staff but nothing which caused any problems. Will be back!

#85 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

So we finally made it to the ‘new’ Numidie. And I have to say we were way less than impressed.

The old, quirky, comfortable décor has been replaced with Kit Number 7b from the DIY Bland Moroccan Restaurant range, and that made me a tiny bit sad. But, the place smelt pretty good, so we decided to be upbeat about it. But then the wine was rubbish, slightly corked, and the second bottle was too, and the third, a more expensive one, well, that was OK, but to be honest, it wasn’t worth £20 a bottle by a long shot. Still trying to be upbeat about it, we ordered starters and mains, though it’s nowhere near as good a menu as Serge used to do; it’s the sort of menu you’d see in a mid-range place bang on the touristy strip in Algiers, or Marrakech or Agadir, the sort of place you go on your very first, slightly disorientated night in Morocco or Algeria.

See, I’ve always thought that one of the reasons one goes to a restaurant is to have something one couldn’t do oneself, something a little bit extraordinary. If I’d made the brik and the batata harrah and the harira they served us as starters and my wife’s main course, I would be very disappointed. The veggie brik was OK (though the ones my wife makes at home are crisper and more tasty and imaginative), but came with a weird overspiced sauce of such fire as to be unusable, and my batata was soggy and pretty tasteless and came with a salad that was almost entirely raw onions. My wife had a main course harira that was OK, though way too lentilly, and while my lamb was lovely, all juicy and fragrant and sweet and tasty, it didn’t come with any carbs, no couscous, no tats, no bread for sopping up the gorgeous gravy. The dessert menu was uninspiring, so we went down to the bar for a shot of on-the-house naughty spirit each (we had communicated our disappointment to the waiter, and I think he’d told the bar guy downstairs), then headed off into the night, quite disappointed, and still convinced that the best restaurant on the Triangle at the moment is Joanna’s. We may go back to Numidie, but not for a good six months.

£45 for three starters and a main, and a bottle of wine, 5/10, which is very sad indeed, considering it used to be my all time favourite eatery.

Edited by nikdevlin, 05 October 2011 - 09:11 PM.

I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#86 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

Just shows how it's different strokes for different folks, as I prefer the food there now. Hey ho.

#87 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

Oh and, no specials board. Nightmare.

#88 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:52 AM

There seemed more choice to me, which helped. I found the previous short menu too restrictive.

#89 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

To be honest, one of the reasons I used to love Numidie so much - and maybe why I'm reviewing it so harshly - is that Serge's menu was so innovative and imaginative. He kept it short for a reason, he told me once, so it forced him to keep trying new stuff, and keep thinking of how to delight his customers into coming back regularly; he found the challenge of doing a North Africa/Southern England fusion exciting and fun, and I can see his point, it's the sort of cooking I love to do myself. But Numidie just seems so bog standard now. I think I might have given it another point if I'd never been there in my life, but I still would have no plans to go back too quickly...

P.S. Have I mentioned our food site before? Here:- https://sites.google...ascookbook/Home

#90 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

Serge's menu delighted many - including my other half - but I did find it pretty samey. Especially the vegetarian option which was invariably the same things presented slightly differently each time. I am also not a lover of huge slabs of meat, so the new menu gives me far more choice. I remember when someone posted on VN about a chicken tagine they had ordered at the old Numidie which turned out to be a whole baby chicken served with stock - and no vegetables or couscous. Extraordinary.

I had a minced lamb tagine when we went ly recentwhich was better than many I had in Morocco (admittedly I haven't been to Algeria). So... it looks like I lost out over several years with the old menu and you are losing out with the new. C'est la vie I guess. Maybe they will do more to your taste in time, but I hope they keep the elements of the new menu that suit me down to the ground :)