Photo

Numidie Bistro

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (116 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (66 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. Good (34 votes [29.82%])

Percentage of vote: 29.82%

3. Average (9 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. Poor (5 votes [4.39%])

Percentage of vote: 4.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, huge slabs of meat *drools*

But yes, Serge's previous menu wasn't much cop if you were a veggie, you were pretty much restricted to a Numidie salad followed a vegetable tagine, or a harira. But, what with my wife not eating lamb or chicken, his regular use of game - in all sorts of sexy ways - was very welcome with us, so we were disappointed to see no venison, guinea fowl, pheasant or pigeon there last night.

Horses for courses, so to speak.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, horse. Had that in Belgium last year, and it rocked...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#92 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

looked in for the first time in ages - havent been in their for years - not sure whats going on with those high backed modern chairs in that small space - look daft to me - used to have a nice relaxed bistro ish feel - now it looks poncey and wrong - foods probably still good - remember having great lamb garlicky taginey thing in there - plus red wine

#93 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

We had a good time in the bar on Saturday night, and I got a free drink as it was my birthday!

#94 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Haven't been since it changed hands. I wonder whether the gap of occupancy has hurt it though. Always seems very empty (in an edo sort of way). I remember the times of having to book well in advance to eat that is. As I've said though its kipper season so hey

#95 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

I think the restaurant is fine but there's a lot of competition in the triangle now. I agree that the gap might have had an effect. People find somewhere else to go in the meantime and lose their sense of loyalty. They need to build again from scratch and that may been thinking outside the box re deals, event nights etc. It's worked for Mediterranea, which is often packed now.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#96 evatharvey

evatharvey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

This was our favourite restaurant in CP. Has it changed management recently as it has gone completely down hill? Went for Valentine's last night, booked a table for 9pm got there and waited to be shown to our table, no menu given just left sitting there for 20 mins. It was fairly full, but most people were finishing their meals. After anther 10 mins a waiter asked if he could help us, I explained that we had been there a while so a menu would be nice. Got our menus, chose instantly and placed our orders. 40 mins later got our starter Oysters to share, came on one plate and we were not given our own plates we were so hungry by this stage and it was 10.10pm we ate them and then 10 mins later the waiter arrived with the dressing as an afterthought and was surprised we had ate our two oysters each! No new cutlery given for the main course either, had the use the same forls for our Oysters as our Venison. Main course arrived at 10.40pm, by then ravenous and finished in 10 mins, no veggies came with it and I had asked for some water at 10.10pm but no water came, no one asked if we wanted another drink, we had taken our wine with us from downstairs but no more drinks were forthcoming. We got our desert at 10.50pm, ate it and asked for the bill we were so fed up at this stage. The waiter came did not even ask how our meal was and I told him that we were not impressed with the service. He said sorry but it's Valentine's night. I replied I realised that and my husband and I had got a babysitter so we could come and eat at what had been our favourite restaurant since it opened and the fact that it was Valentine's should have made the experience all the more special, rather than making us feel on edge and like a nuisance for being there. We will not be eating there again, the food wasn't as good as it normally is and the service was utterly appalling, we all get used to bad service from time to time I realise that, but this was noticeably very bad indeed. Sorry Numidie, you have gone downhill.Management take note, we always highly recommended it, but won't be any longer and we have lived in CP for 20 years.

#97 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

What a shame ......

Mind you I learnt long ago not to join the Valentine's Day rip off in restaurants generally. Have never found it a good experience :( loads more expensive, hardly an choice, and you are invariably treated as if you being processed on a conveyer belt IME.

#98 evatharvey

evatharvey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

Yes it was a shame. To be honest we have had plenty of great experiences in C.P on Valentine's, but I am not kidding this was exceptionally bad and the waiter knew it too. :-( Being Valentines night should not be an excuse, the service should be superb ideally but if not that at least pretty good. I really am not exaggerating at how bad it was I'm afraid.

Edited by Elmo, 16 February 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#99 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

A pity - looks like a trip to Serge's new place, the Hollist Arms in Petworth, Sussex is in order:

http://www.thehollistarms.com/
opposed to taking terrapins.

#100 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

I learnt long ago not to join the Valentine's Day rip off in restaurants

Yep, we have learnt that lesson too. It's usually a way for a restaurant to churn out some easy peasy stuff that uses up all their left-overs, with a 20% mark up on their usual prices. This year, instead of going to a restaurant for the 14th, we cooked up a storm at home, and had a lovely evening. I'll shamelessly spam our site again, just in case you fancy doing the same next year:- http://sites.google....dwinascookbook/

It's also interesting to note what evatharvey says about the waiter knowing how bad he was; this was exactly the impression we got when we went there in October last year ( http://www.virtualno...post__p__114224 ). He was vague and offhand and didn't give the impression that he knew what being a waiter means. One of the reasons I used to love going to Numidie when Serge was there (apart from his wonderful cooking) was the lovely service you got.

The last line of my previous review was "We may go back to Numidie, but not for a good six months." Sounds like we need to extend that!
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#101 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

has anybody been here lately? the website seems to be the same as the old one....looking for a different restaurant for my friends birthday gathering
thanks
...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#102 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

yes went a few weeks ago, had a nice tagine, service was very friendly and had a free prosecco in the bar downstairs afterwards which could be great for your gathering

#103 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

The tagines there are good, and the bar downstairs is a great place to relax afterwards.

The previous lovers of Serge's cuisine (of which there were many) may not be impressed with the difference but it suits me down to the ground - more choice as a virtual (but not total) veggie and lighter, tasty dishes.

#104 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

4 CANDLES !

#105 Mulchdown

Mulchdown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Service and food was a little disappointing on a recent visit to Numidie. The decor is very fresh and there is a lovely feel to the restaurant. The menu also sounded so good but it did not live upto expectations for myself or my wife.