Photo

Joanna's

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (162 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (79 votes [49.07%])

Percentage of vote: 49.07%

2. Good (43 votes [26.71%])

Percentage of vote: 26.71%

3. Average (23 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Poor (16 votes [9.94%])

Percentage of vote: 9.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:43 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Joanna's
56 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1RX
Open Monday to Sunday - 10am until Late

Web: http://www.joannas.uk.com/
Email: info@joannas.uk.com
Phone: 0871 811 1499

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 03:14 PM

Some people say this place is snooty. I've been twice and loved it both times.

The first time was on a very wet bank holiday Monday back in May. Great food to warm us up. Sadly, the lunch menu (which is cheaper!) only runs Mon-Fri and wasn't on bec it was a Bank Hol.

Second time was a few weeks ago when I took my mum. I had the smoked chicken and mango salad off the lunch menu - yum. We also had a side portion of sweet potatoes with satay sauce - not a dish I would have thought of, but it worked so well my mum has replicated it back home.

This place has a great interior and is great if you want a good old style sort of restaurant. Excellent for taking parents to :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:44 PM

Agree with Gekko - a great place for the parents, has just the right semi-formal but family-friendly atmosphere. However, given the price, I have not been completely blown away by the food.

#4 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:49 AM

I agree with Weeble - I don't think the food lives up to the prices being charged for it. We celebrated our engagement in here on Xmas Eve 2002 - it cost us over £85, and the food was no different to what you'd get on the lunch menu for £6.95. Nothing wrong with it, just not fantastic.

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:55 PM

I agree the prices are expensive but the food is always reliable and the service is generally good which is more than I can say for Numidie whose prices I have noticed have gone up. Joannas also make you feel like a wanted customer. They do a great homemade burger and chips which is quite reasonably priced. Its also great to go to a restauarant where you can sit at the bar with a pre-dinner cocktail looking over to London. 100% agree about the parents thing, also grandparents, brothers and sisters, cousins and great aunts............

#6 Cymraes

Cymraes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:38 PM

I heart Joanna's! I've loved everything I've had there so far. The cod dish I had first time I visited was perfect, and I've tried to replicate it at home several times with little success.
My only complaint would be that the creme brulee was so massive it nearly made my belly explode.
The service has been so friendly on occassions that after a couple of glasses of wine I've almost hugged the staff goodbye. Good parking round the back too, which saves the nightmare of trawling Crystal Palace for a space.

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

I heart Joanna's! I've loved everything I've had there so far. The cod dish I had first time I visited was perfect, and I've tried to replicate it at home several times with little success.
My only complaint would be that the creme brulee was so massive it nearly made my belly explode.
The service has been so friendly on occassions that after a couple of glasses of wine I've almost hugged the staff goodbye. Good parking round the back too, which saves the nightmare of trawling Crystal Palace for a space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you the owner? :D
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:05 PM

<_<

Some say I own the Cambridge, after I made some warm comments about it.....

There's far too much suspicion about these days.

Speaking of the Cambridge, it's got a nice open fire, and in these inclement conditions it makes for a wonderful spot for a drink.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#9 Cymraes

Cymraes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:35 PM

:D

I don't own Joanna's; more's the pity.
I've just re-read my comments though and I do come across as rather too exuberant, but I'm sticking by what I said. Even the hugging part.
Perhaps they should give me some free dinner for my efforts.

#10 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:46 PM

<_<

Some say I own the Cambridge, after I made some warm comments about it.....

There's far too much suspicion about these days.

Speaking of the Cambridge, it's got a nice open fire, and in these inclement conditions it makes for a wonderful spot for a drink.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I put my head round the door on Sunday but it was too smoky and my other half wasn't convinced, so we went to Black Sheep instead.

Anyway, back to Joanna's, I think the service is okay (they take your coat for you, which is good) but I don't think it's worthy of a hug. Maybe I'm too reserved :unsure: .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#11 Cymraes

Cymraes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:27 AM

...or maybe I was a little too drunk.
Please note that I said I "almost" hugged. I am British after all.

Edited by Cymraes, 23 February 2005 - 09:29 AM.

#12 fozziwig

fozziwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:04 PM

My bf and I had a meal at Joanna's on Friday night and we thought it was hideously overpriced and very, very average at best.

Staff were nice but unorganised and we felt really pressured to order, shove it down and get out so they could get more bums on seats. Is a shame because the interior is lovely (although the tables are a tad cramped) and it should be really nice. But we won't be going back, ever.

#13 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:48 AM

My feeling about Joanna's is that they think they are a lot posher/better than they really are. The food and service are ok, but as you said fozziwig, a bit over-priced. Having said that, I was planning on taking my mother-in-law there on Wednesday.
Rachel
My link

#14 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:07 AM

But they are one of the longest serving restaurant in the Palace they must be doing something right ! Dazza

Even longer than Lorenzo's !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#15 fozziwig

fozziwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hmmm, I guess they must be Dazza! I'm not sure I can put my finger on what that elusive quality may be though...

I'm certainly no food snob/tightwad (honest!) but I know a good steak when it's plonked in front of me (***, I'm starting to sound like my dad!) and would be delighted to part with my hard earned bucks to pay for it... but £18 for a stringy, sinewy bit of beef and, while I'm reliving the experience, £6 for 3 anaemic 'piri piri' prawns, is taking the michael in my book.

But it is very pretty in there. Maybe that's it? :ph34r: