Photo

Joanna's

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (162 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (79 votes [49.07%])

Percentage of vote: 49.07%

2. Good (43 votes [26.71%])

Percentage of vote: 26.71%

3. Average (23 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Poor (16 votes [9.94%])

Percentage of vote: 9.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

TOO much information!

#212 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

OK, so you lot may have noticed how much I like Joannas; we go there about once a month (usually on the spur of the moment, when we can't be 4rsed cooking) and normally eat very well indeed. But, well, it was less than good the other night. We had, for the first time, the fixed price menu, two courses each, and it was all pretty average. Mrs Me's fish curry was dry and bland, with sticky gloopy rice that had clearly been sitting in the kitchen for some time, while my pork escalope was hard and dry and came with a pesto that was overly garlicky, and chips that had been sitting beside the rice for the same amount of time. The spinach side dish was OK, but it was a very small portion. Ice cream desserts that tasted as if they came out of a tub from Tesco didn't make the meal finish well.

Thing is, the a la carte menu would have been only about a tenner more (the prix fixe is £15 or so each for two courses), so I'm wondering if they're actually doing their best to dissuade people from the cheaper option. Bait and switch, maybe? Will stick with the a la carte in future, though I think we're going to try a few other places on the Triangle over the next few months instead...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#213 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Make your feelings known. There's a chef who was getting a roasting there the other week... Management were testing his dishes and not all were coming back to the head chef and concierge ok... they take quality control very very seriously and would welcome feedback.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#214 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

Oh I did. I told the waiter, exactly what was wrong. As we were leaving, he and the manager were talking to a chef at the passe.

#215 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Nice one. Should make it better for the next customer ...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#216 Nikkibells

Nikkibells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

First visit to Joanna's on last week. Great service and great food and cocktails! I can recommend the steak and sticky toffee pudding not together though!

#217 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Joanna's is one of the few we haven't tried yet. Tend to go for a particular cuisine, and I'm not sure what Joanna's is?

#218 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

We're so fortunate to have Joanna's here. It's a real gem of a place. I'd say the cuisine is 'Modern British' brasserie/bistro. It's very consistent but like everything that involves humans, there is the (very) occasional hiccup.

#219 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

Its the best & oldest restaurant in CP !

A special occasion venue for sure !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#220 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Its the best & oldest restaurant in CP !

A special occasion venue for sure !

Dazza

Is it older than Lorenzos?

#221 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

..or Luigi's? It's been there for asinos
Tadpole - my favourite word

#222 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Is it older than Lorenzos?

Joanna's was founded in 1978. Lorenzo's is a mere youngster, founded in 1985.

..or Luigi's? It's been there for asinos

(Still) Luigi's has been at the bottom of Gipsy Hill since the Roman occupation.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#223 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Correct Andreas Joannahs is older by a country mile ! How long have you lived here SL ?

Bucket Luigiis is not in Crystal palace as far as i concerned ! Not sure if I am correct but didnt the owner of this restaurant get murdered by the mafia in the late 70's or have I been watching to many films ?

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#224 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Huzzah for Joannas, for it is ALL the lovely. We went there tonight and I have to say everything was just spot on; my lovely chicken, Mrs Me's lovely scallops, the bottle of wine Will (sorry if I've got your name wrong, I never forget a face, but I'm not that good on names!) sent over on the house (thanks Will, dashed decent of you), the beautiful desserts and the shot of kummel we dawdled over, and the great soundtrack; Roy Orbison, and a load of big band stuff. I *heart* Joannas and I'm very glad to say that, after our last slightly lacklustre visit, tonight it was warm and welcoming and smiley and gorgeous, and made us feel very special indeed.

#225 Mani77

Mani77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

We've eaten at Joanna's twice now in the year we've lived locally. Although it's hard to get a table (and toptable reservations got muddled on the second occasion, we were very glad they found room for us with in-laws staying) the service is super. The wines are good, although not quite as good as those in the Exhibition Rooms across the road, but it's a different atmosphere - very smart and 'special occasion'. I've ordered both fish and lamb for mains here, whilst my partner has tried the burgers and steak - all were very tasty, although not as high quality as the presentation or service would suggest I think. I think we need to try this place a few times to work out what's reliably brilliant on the menu before bringing special people here for a meal again, as the monkfish was a bit disappointing for my Mum in law, and the salads for starters weren't all we'd hoped for. Still, it feels like a real 'occasion' restaurant and I'm very glad it's a local staple - think we just need to find our own way with the menu rather than expecting it to all be dazzling.