Photo

Joanna's

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (162 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (79 votes [49.07%])

Percentage of vote: 49.07%

2. Good (43 votes [26.71%])

Percentage of vote: 26.71%

3. Average (23 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Poor (16 votes [9.94%])

Percentage of vote: 9.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:10 PM

Amazingly attractive inside, considering how awful the actual building is from the front.

Edited by gekko, 03 May 2005 - 03:33 PM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#17 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

Was almost tempted to go in here yesterday but the extortionate prices knocked the temptation on the head.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#18 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

I'm sure I wouldnt give them a 2nd chance at £18 a pop either. Perhaps people are blinded by the decor & ambience of the place. Hopefully someone from Joanna monitor this & will do something about it !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#19 Lambeth Lady

Lambeth Lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

I live in Canada and came to visit my brother who lives at Fox Hill. I was only in the U.K. a week, but we visited Joanna's twice and each time we were delighted with the food and service.
When I come again, I will definitely put Joanna's on my list of Restaurants to visit. : :D

#20 Guest_Rowena_*

Guest_Rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:33 AM

I note that I am not the only one who thinks is the right place to take ones parents, which is exactly what I did. They were less than impressed, it has to be said, because we had a bad table, it was very noisy that evening, and the staff were not very helpful, but the food was okay, bordering on good, I am assured.

I have been here a few times, though, and have mostly found the staff helpful and able to deal with an awkward vegetarian, so the place gets my vote....

#21 der_maberley

der_maberley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:15 PM

Yes, expensive, but the food, words fail me when I think of it! I had a baked vanilla cream topped with prunes soaked in Armangac, and did a pretty convincing Meg Ryan imitation as I ate it. They are so courteous, so considerate, that I didn't feel the pain of 40 quid leaving my wallet, well maybe a slight pang... Exquisite, but not every Sunday. My bank manager would not like me getting used to that class of food.

Edited by James, 10 November 2005 - 06:35 PM.

#22 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

Thats a lot of money for a baked vanilla thingy.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#23 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

I had the lamb shank the other night, highly recommended. They have some rather good wines too. I have never left this place anything less than fat, drunk and happy.

And with a somewhat thinner wallet.

#24 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

Haven't had the budget to visit this place for ages but it is a very good restaurant and it does leave feelings of contentment with you.... although accusations of pie-eating tend to increase in my household after I have been there.

They used to do a mean bread and butter pudding with marmalade for dessert as I recall....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#25 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

I had the lamb shank the other night, highly recommended.

Had it last night myself and was very satisfied! Had the belly of pork to start and that was delicious too, although the size of the portions could be increased.

I really like this place, but it's a 'special occasions only' venue due to the cost. 2 starters, 2 mains, wine and water came to around £70... but the wife paid. :D
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#26 sinhaha

sinhaha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:34 PM

Really upped its game over the years , now consistently high quality food , and excellent service.

#27 mikecrystalpalace

mikecrystalpalace

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

I visited Joanna's after being with my girlfriend in the palace for a year and would whole-heartedly recommend it.

The food was fairly priced given the quality of it (drinks i though were quite expensive), and people should not under estimate what this restaurant is trying to do- serve simple dishes with fresh ingredients with even English Dishes brought right up to date!!! Not easy to find given the rubbish on offer in so many places elsewhere.

Tables are slightly cramped but the service first-class, not a compliment i give lightly having run around in an apron myself for a number of years! :D
The more i get to know people, the more i like dogs. (Oscar Wilde)

#28 Chubners

Chubners

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:16 PM

Outstanding food! Although the dinner menu is expensive, the brunch menu is great value considering the quality of the food. Excellent service although on our visit the courses took a long time to arrive. The chocolate nemesis is to die for!

#29 der_maberley

der_maberley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:25 PM

Good to know that. I was about to go there last Sunday, but did not quite realise what Mothering Sunday is like over here, and found no room in the inn as it were. Had to content myself with a frenetic Il Ponte. Aim to try it out again tomorrow as I won't have the chance again till May.

#30 vickrik

vickrik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

:( Very expensive, west end prices for very average food, £19 for fillet steak, I can go to the Savoy, not for me again!